err hi...newbie here...action bullseye?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by runey, Sep 13, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. runey

runey New Member

Hi. Err...is there someplace which lists what all the symbols on the action bullseye mean? Magnus has what looks like a wooden plank with a red symbol for no-entry on it on his. I think I know what the brick wall and the eye mean.

2. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

I would like to take this moment to refer you to that nifty little object that came in the box with the game, which is comprised of two flimsy paper covers between which are 189 pages of poorly organized, non-indexed, generally useless text. This would, of course, be the game manual. Tedious reading, and likely ignored, but nonetheless holding within its depths the answer to your very question. Specifically, if you will now turn your eyes to page 56, you will see a heading entitled "Examining Creatures in Combat." Beneath this is a single paragraph with several references to vague and hard-to-see images, humorously called "figures" within the manual. To save your eyes, I will translate what is there written, in brief.

By hovering your cursor over some creature in combat, you will receive useful (questionable, that, but nonetheless...) information regarding that creature. The icons which might there appear are:

Weight - indicates the creature does not have the strength to wield the weapon currently equipped
    Target - indicates the creature is beyond your range of attack
    Eye - indicates the creature is beyond your range of perception
    Wall - indicates the creature has the benefit of partial cover
    Bulb - indicates the creature is dimly illuminated
    Red Cross - indicates the creature is suffering from an injury which hinders combat skills

I hope that this suffices to answer your question, good sir... If not.......blame Troika. :D

3. runey

runey New Member

Ahh good. I was wondering, since the manual is currently somewhere in the depths of my spare bedroom. But hey, if you want to come look for it, be my guest. I will warn ya, we've lost many brave souls who ventured into that wilderness. I wonder if they rent backhoes for use indoors...

And it's not 'sir'...

*sigh* Guess I'll need to photocopy the cd and get a replacement manual. Or a bloodhound...

4. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

I always RTFM, I can't help it, its a compulsion, rather like gamming. :wink: But figure 3-18, which allegedly illustrates those conditions, is unreadeable at that detail. It took me quite a while to figgure those things out.

There is a dowloadable index out there somewhere.

5. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

Shadygrove ...
    The scary part is not that you READ the manual.
    It's that you QUOTE it with figure number included!

:)

6. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

There's a row of the things above the monitor. I don't think I have referenced any other than the Arcanum manual for months. It was just sitting there, within arms reach, honest. :wink:

7. runey

runey New Member

Feh. The manuals used to all be in the side of this hutch until we moved the whole shebang out to the living room to use the (then-new) cablemodem. The manuals disappeared about then. -_- I did read the manual when I got the game, mainly because I liked the Fallout manuals, but it's been so long ago since I got the game...*sigh* senility at 29...

8. Zipper_pk

Zipper_pk New Member

Hmz...what if u are one of those hidious people that didn't actually get an original version? Well...This forum is for helping brainless,bastard boyz like them!
    So "look into the manual" doesn't really qualify for an answer in an internet forum...
    The rest of Luchaire's answer is...truly brilliant! WOW HOOREY

9. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

If you can dupe the disks, why can't you scan the book? :roll:

10. LoKi_820

LoKi_820 New Member

11. PoiuytMan

PoiuytMan New Member

This is the only symbol not covered in the manual. It means that technological/magical aptitude is affecting your aim. I've noticed it when using guns against Ore Golems and the like.

-Poiuyt Man

12. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Often, not always.

If about scanning, that is only a matter os tech. Coppier tech will work. I assume That zipper_pk has a pirated disk & no book. The book had to be somewhere when the disk was coppied. Why not on a scanner?

BTW, I have heard there is a manual on line somewhere. If so, that would solve a lot of problems.

If about the reading compulsion, the book being at my right hand, guilty.

13. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

Why do you need to look at the manual to quote the figure number? Havent you learnt the whole thing off by heart???

14. Luinil

Luinil New Member

i knew the whole manual before i even got my copy of the game. i played at my friends house and went to get one but the store was out of arcanum, so i read through his manual until my game came in...

Our Host!