Book Reviews and Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarinor, Oct 1, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

That book is quite a hard-hitting social commentary - what would happen if there was no authority? It is a very good book, although some of the circumstances and events are quite disturbing, but also believable. I rate it up there with George Orwell's 1984 for Books With Disturbing Commentaries/Predictions That I Hope Never Happen.

Speaking of George, Animal Farm is also a really good book. In some ways it's closely related to 1984, even though they (initially) deal with different types of "government".

John Steinbeck's Of Mice And Men is also a really good (but short) read. Quite sad, as well.

2. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

Sorry to derail Jarinor, but I must mention a great movie adaption of Steinbeck's work starring Dennis Quaid and John Malchovich. Very worthwhile.

3. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

Has anyone here read Maya by Jostein Gaarder? (He is the author of Sophie's World). An elegant, artistic read. I read it last year - it's a profound book, part philosophy, part myth, part drama. It's a bit heavy for a casual reader, though.

The story revolves around an English author who is on the Fijian island of Taveuni - an island put on the map because it is smack on the International Date Line (the story happens close to the beginning of 2000). He meets an young Spanish couple, who pique his interest with their philosophical verbal sparring. They seem to draw their profound statements about life from a deck of cards.

He starts eavesdropping on their conversations, pretending he doesn't understand Spanish, and wonders about the "Joker" that features prominently in their dialogues.

It's a bit fuzzy in my mind now...you may want to follow this link if you're interested.

My previous signature was a quote from that book -

The elves are in the fairy-tale now, but they are blind to it. Would the fairy-tale be a real fairy-tale if it could see itself? Would everyday life be a miracle if it went round constantly explaining itself?

Maya - Ace of hearts.

I'm thinking of changing back...

Rating: 9.2/10
    You suffer from classic "Tolkienisis": Your writings try to invoke a feel of Tolkien, or other such fantasy writers. It's not just the grammar; it's also the creativity. My advice to you is not to copy another style just to impress. Use language you are comfortable with - don't fake it. To your credit, the amount effort you put into it was obvious - I can't imagine myself being so committed. I have written but one piece of fantasy prose in my entire life, and even that was for a D&D character. (ignore the spam at the bottom of the post if you follow the link)

4. Qilikatal

Qilikatal New Member

The sven hazel books is a very recomended read from my side.
    They are about a group of soldiers in a punishment battalion during WW2. It is not real stories (you can see that they chrash at some points) But they are a great read. Hazel himself served in a punishment battalion during the war so he know what he speaks of. He was a tank driver I think. Of the books i would recomend: "I saw them die" and "The SS-general."
    The way Hazel writes his books is copied from one of the best books i have ever read "Nothing New From The Western Front" by Erich Maria Remarque. The ways he describes the horrors makes them allmost alive.(shudders) Probably the best war book i have ever read.

5. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

update on the king is retiring but will still publish the dark tower books

he also just publish a novel I believe is called from a buick 8 or something like that. Haven't had a chance to get it yet but hey it's king

6. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

Woooow, wdygfy. Way to be up on the Breaking News!

You related to Snobothehobo or whateverhisnameis? :p

7. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

well then I guess that puts me in my place now doesn't it

anyway I hadn't seen it saw it for the first time ever today and wanted to share it.

I'd be happy to pay for any damages this caused

8. Darkwalker

Darkwalker Member

I just finished From A Buick 8, I really don't see this one being made into a movie, but hey, what do I know. Overall it was pretty good, classic King writing. A must read for any hardcore fan, the rest of you should wait for the paperback.

9. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

I think all it needs it the name "Stephen King" on the cover and it's pretty well likely to become a movie. The name will bring in enough bucks to make some folks rich, regardless of how crappy the movie actually is...

10. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

Thanks for taking the time to review my efforts :D The funny thing is that I have never actually read Tolkien ( saw the Hobbit and I enjoyed it but I never read any of his stuff) But I am a huge D&D Fan and that might be what you sensed. But I really enjoyed writting all of it none of it was forced at all. But a good honest critque is always invaluable and I will take your advisements to heart :nod: Thanks Again!

Our Host!