Get them to like me...really like me

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Kombat18, Jul 25, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Oh, you were talking about the reaction modifier. Yes, Virgil starts out with a -7 reaction modifier but his alignment starts with 0.

2. Pasca

Pasca New Member

If you change your nick maybe people like you better then, damn nazi...

3. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

4. Pasca

Pasca New Member

Go and make a search to find out what Combat 18 is and you will know what I am talking about...

5. Kombat18

Kombat18 New Member

another dumbass

guess som ppl do not kno what to say when and i didnt kno my nick could affect a game...why dont u use ure brains b4 u talk one more thing look where i come from freak.

6. Pasca

Pasca New Member

Mooron... of course I know your nick won't affect the game. And because you put singapore as your recidence doesen't mean you really live there.

Even if you don't symphatize with combat 18 or other nazi organisations I consider it bad taste to choose such nick.

7. Kombat18

Kombat18 New Member

then y did u say somthin like change ure nick then ppl will like u better... doesnt make sense well since ure such a senseless dick too bad. well i dun have to lie abt my residence. of all the fucking countries to choose from u think i will deliberately choose singapore. well think wat u must i dun care. enjoy playing Arcanum

8. Calis

Calis Member

Alright, enough with the flaming already.

Combat18, I'm afraid Cyann has a point... Combat 18 is the name of a neo-nazi organization. As such, a lot of people find it an offensive nickname. Would you mind changing it to something a little more neutral? I'm sure you didn't mean any harm by picking this nickname, but people still find it offensive, and I'd rather not have that on this forum.
    Send me a private message with an alternative nickname, and I'll change it for you, ok?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calis on 2001-08-31 14:19 ]</font>

9. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Haha!! You guys are hilarious!!!
    like the humor in Arcanum!!
    Is there nothing left to bicker about than nicknames?

10. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

well its a pretty bad choice for a nick

i didn't change it by force before, as i awaited a new nick from the person involved, and as i didn't see any new posts i thought that he, mad at my views on it, had left tHoL's for good. but i see that he is back.

the point is combat that its not allways right to pick a name, no matter how innocent it is for you, when it isn't for others.

18 is a common code for adolf hitler, and most importantly combat18 is an ogranization that got some really shady views.

the thing is that you can't just pick a nick and claim that its right, when others are offended. to boot, its not perhaps to good for you, if you don't share the opinions of the org, as people assume that you do. i did, and i'm sure others have as well.

i wouldn't go with KKK even if it stood for something else, as others wouldn't know.

so show some tact, email me or calis, with a new nick, or we(I) will change it.

11. sgc_meltdown

sgc_meltdown New Member

Yeah, try changing your nick to 'HitlerIsGod' and you'll get into some pretty zany situations...

12. Kombat18

Kombat18 New Member

for monkeypunch

as i told u b4 monkeypunch my decision and the choice of such a nick but it looks like it is u the ones who are becoming wat u dont like. if my nick is that of a nazi organisation the attitude displayed by cyaan and u borders on fascism based on discrimination. only reason i replied is becos i had a reply to a thread i started. i hav no reason to be angry not even now becos i have dun nuthin wrong. and as such in light of no wrongdoing on my part, n ure misconstruction of events, i will state that i will not change my nick..u may withdraw it as u wish. this is as i told u b4.

on a final note, however, if on ure part and cyaan in particular were to apologise or in the least admit that u too showed bias for anothers choice without analysing the facts, then i will be willing to change such a thing as trivial as a nick. but i cant go back on my own principles(which is admitting i made a mistake when i did nuthin at all.)

Sanjay

13. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

well you see your nick is also used by one of the biggest neo nazi groups around

and people, i did, that knows of it, will directly place you there

its pretty easy

if i used the nick

as i said above

KKK

or say SS

stalin josef

polpot

etc etc people would probably judge you directly due to it, even if the nick was based on totally other things.

even more so with a name like Combat18, as peole might actually have the name stalin, but combat18 is a taken name.

imo its a really bad nick, due to the grave risk for missunderstanding.

as you have seen here.

lets finish this thread, if you see no reason in wanting to post on HoL in the future, then this is finished here.

if you want to, you better rethink your nick, it would be wise.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monkeypunch on 2001-09-01 16:19 ]</font>

14. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Hey, MonkeyPunch! What's with the KKK? Here in our country we respect the people under the Katipunan because at the very least they depended our country from Spanish invasions. I don't mind having a KKK nick in this board as it shows prowess and pride and that the people under this organization would die for our country.

Unless you have other meaning for it, of course.

15. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

16. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib New Member

Maybe you don't like the name Combat18, maybe nobody in this room likes the name Combat18, but that's a problem you have, not him. He has every right to assume any name he wants even if it's "jerksofftoanimals69". What YOU can do is choose weither or not YOU want to talk to him, based on his name.
    If his name is that offensive then he'll soon realize it because nobody will really want to associate with him.

I apologize to anyone who actually does get off on animals, I was just giving an example.

Anyone offended by MY name? Tough shit :smile:

17. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I don't mind about the name since I don't anything about the organization Combat18. However I do like how this board is handling so far. In one free webserver which I shouldn't mention, the people there deleted someone's site just because his name goes by Mr. xxx. It does not have any nude contents in the site but they deleted them without warning just because they "think" the site is offensive.

At least this board gives a fair deal on that matter. Having to ask for a change in userid, that is.

18. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

19. Calis

Calis Member

No, what WE can do is decide whether WE want a person using a name that several people find offensive, on OUR forum.

Just to make this perfectly clear... This is a privately-owned forum. Owned by us (the Terra Arcanum staff). The server is owned by GMX Media, and we get to use it for free in exchange for displaying their ads and playing by their rules, but all the stuff on this site is ours, unless stated otherwise (or unless I forgot to state otherwise, in which case the owners can sue me for all I'm worth, which should amount to $26.20, a copy of Arcanum and two sets of socks and underwear). That means we can bully, delete posts, and generally act like power-hungry maniacs if we choose to.

So far, I think we've generally tried to be fairly liberal about all this. We do this for fun. We don't try to be assholes about this, but when someone uses a name that several find offensive, we ask said person to change it. Yes, Combat18, I am well aware that a name in itself does not signify anything wrong, but we try to humour as many people as we can on this forum.
    Said person can then:
    a) be the bigger man and agree to change the name to humour fellow board users and make for an easy fix
    b) get into a bullshit semantics argument about freedom of speech, calling us nazis for making this (fairly reasonable) request, etc.

Personally, I'm none too happy with b). Please, dude. Let's just choose the easy way out here. I really don't enjoy being a board nazi (pardon the pun), but as I have pointed out earlier, this *is* our privately-owned tea party.

And, personally, I don't think I need this shit in my tea-party.

20. Muad'Dib

Muad'Dib New Member

Damn, you just shot down every possible counter-argument I could think of before I could make it.

Nothing left to do now but agree with you.

Our Host!