Hard

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Gavla, Sep 24, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Gavla

Gavla New Member

As I was saying in another post, I just finished Arcanum.
    But I found it very, very hard. Many people would have chucked this game in at a couple of spots.
    I was a gunslinging explosives expert with an oppourtunistic thieving habit.
    I was playing the game in turn based mode, and sometimes I got the impression that it was really meant to be played real time, because I switched to it to that a couple of occasions to get myself out of a pickle.
    Perhaps I spread my points around a bit too liberally. Perhaps I went through too quickly.
    I only just survived the Dredge (Or am I thinking about the Black Mountain Mines?) because I found a scroll of control monster and I used one of those ever so tough ore golems against another couple and got through.
    It was a miracle that I was able to defeat the paladin and his entourage in the Bangellian deeps. I chucked so many molotovs at him my arm got sore.
    Maybe if I had some sort of trick up my sleeve : Something to paralyse the enemy, or confuse them, or a protective barrier (I never did stumble across any kerosene to create a wall of fire) to turn the worm...
    Also, the final battle was only mine because the opponents summoned zombies turned against him. All my party died. To get to him I had to turn it to realtime, put my head down, and sprint through his castle.
    I was naked in the void.
    I shudder to think I'll play on anything but easy.

2. runey

runey New Member

Hmm...I think part of the difficulty is the character choice. Mages and melee go through easy. Technology types, at least for me, are fairly difficult, especially if I try to use guns. I'm going to keep trying on my techie though. It's interesting not being able to whizz through. :)

3. Hel Khat

Hel Khat New Member

You guys are right Tech is the hardest way to go and magic is very easy. Fortunately I like magick so I had no problems. I like the charecter generator you can be almost anybody you want to be :D

4. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

The next time it's eaiser. After that, you can realy start to learn the game.

I find TBC easier. Uh... that's eaiser to win.

5. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

You took the hardest path. Devoping a good gunslinger is tough, plus you need good guns like Long Range Rifle, Tesla gun, Blade launcher and Tranquilizer gun (it will take all fatigue in one shot from many opponents excluding golems and the like). Also it's good to have half-ogre or Dog by your side for a few fights.

6. Susano

Susano New Member

hm I played a gunslinger ( areal messed up one btw, was my first game and I was mage and tech... doesnt work of course) and it was relatively easy... okay I admit I played on easy (as said first game), but still.... and I only had a revolver.... (as said messed up char)

oh and the best gun is just the vendigroth gun... too bad you find it only so late in the game....

7. xento

xento New Member

Geeze! I kicked butt easy with my testla rod, Drock's Warbringer, Dog, and Magnus! I love being a techy, and it isn't too hard for me. I didn't bother to waste points on stupid stuff like through, however. It just isn't worth it unless you got something like the Ariel Decapicator (I don't know how to spell it!).

8. PoiuytMan

PoiuytMan New Member

Hmm... is the Tesla Rod considered a gun, a melee weapon, or something else? I remember using it as a Firearms Master and I couldn't hit anything.

-Poiuyt Man

9. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

10. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Which hurls bolts which you have to aim right, therefore...

11. PoiuytMan

PoiuytMan New Member

12. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

.......it counts as a firearm as it is a tech ranged weopon.

The best kind of gunslinger is the orc who got raised by orcs and can prowl whilst running aswell azs get to chances to spot and disarm traps and who is unnaffected by range penalties. This type of character rocks, you can take out almost any enemy by prowling a short distance away and continually blast it with the looking glass rifle. Then you wait 2 days for stringy petes body to dissapear and steal his ship. Just make sure you don't get any followers

13. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

It's better to put points in electricity (very useful stuff here) and get yourself flow spectrometer. You spot all traps with this thingy equipped and save 5cp. Disarm traps however may come in handy since you can't use traps springer on traps which are on the ground. However in most cases they don't reall block your path and you can walk past them. In those few cases they do you're already strong enough to survive them.

14. Settler

Settler Member

I played as an intelligent, charasmatic gunslinger in my first game. Master of Firearms and Persuasion, I used the Fine Revolver, then the Looking-Glass Rifle, then Hand Cannon, Elephant Gun, and the last parts of Vendigroth and the Void with Droch's Warbringer. The only parts of the game I found tough were the BMC Mines (at low level) and the Void Islands (high level). The Void Castle was easy, apart from Kerghan - does anyone know the speech options to talk him out of it? I've got 20 Int and 18 Ch, still can't do it.

Anyway, I usually told my followers (Virgil, Magnus, Mug Dog, Franklin, Loghaire and Raven) to stay back, and I took out most enemies at long range. I finished the game with 3 Constitution...

15. Anonymous User

Anonymous User New Member

You need 20 CH to convince Kerghan to commit suicide.

16. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

In your first quote why does it have ni the first two times and then in on the third one?

17. Anonymous User

The test code in # checks to see if the character or a party member has item with name index number #. The test code ni # checks to see if the character or a party member does not have item #. Item 2008 is Kryggird's Falchion, and number 5616 is the Vendigroth Device. Thus, the first line is available only if you have the Vendigroth Device but not Kryggird's Falchion, the second line is available only if you have the Falchion but not the Device, and the third line is available only if you have both of them.

18. xento

xento New Member

You can make Kerghan bugger off? AWESOME!!! I gotta try it!

19. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

Aha thanks, I always wanted to know about how the game code works. Also what happens if you have neither?

20. Anonymous User

In that case, you're screwed. You won't be able either to persuade Kerghan to commit suicide (that I can see) or to kill him. Maybe you can leave after your talk and go get the sword, although possibly the exits are sealed.

Our Host!