Problem with stat loss

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by gruck, Sep 20, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. gruck

gruck New Member

Both my main character and poor virgil has taken several points of penalty to the DX stat. This is not because of any equipment or encumbrance. I have no records what so ever in injuries (never been crippled).
    I have read through the manual but cannot find anything about this. No healing (spell or skill) helps. Sleeping doesn't help. I am at a loss here. How do I restore the lost stats?

2. Ferret

Ferret New Member

There are two ways I know of to incur DEX losses.

I can't remember which god it is, but making an offering to a god in the wrong order will incur a penalty rather than a bonus. However, this doesn't affect followers.

The most likely explanation is that you equipped the BlackStone blade hexed weapon. It lowers your DEX stat, even if it's unidentified, and many people have had irreversible DEX losses to both themselves and virgil (he loves that sword for some reason :x ). Virgil probably picked it up at some point, and auto-equipped it. At least, that's how most people get this problem. You then probably took it off him, and equipped it to see what it was like.

The penalty is also cumulative, so equipping it lots of times will eventually result in a permanent DEX of 1.

It sucks, but it's a bug, and unless you have a prior save, cannot be fixed. Best advice is to sell the sword ASAP if you still have it.

3. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

It is a curse & the nastiest one I have found. Without a handy save, it is a restart.

4. gruck

gruck New Member

Jikes. Sounds like a restart then.
    Thanks a lot for the help.

5. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

6. The Chosen One

The Chosen One New Member

Thats a tough break .........unless your me who has never completed the game, yet restarted it 6 times 0:)

About your stat loss......drinking beer at a pub increses your strength and lowers another stat (could be DX .....prolly INT tho )

3:)

7. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Alcohol raises ST, & Lowers IN, DX, & CH. Get drunk, you got laid, didn't you?

& drink the potato moonshine sometime. Strong stuff!

8. Anonymous User

Anonymous User New Member

You could use a savegame editor to raise your dexterity back to what it originally was. This isn't a perfect solution, since this will lower your maximum DX, and if you equipped the sword enough times your cap might be as low as one, but if you only equipped the sword once it isn't such a bad fix.

Our Host!