I hate BG and Diablo series...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vikjunk, Aug 15, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diemon

Diemon New Member

Hey,

Nope. U cant call hexen an fps rpg. And there is way more fps than fps rpgs. Good rpgs are verry rare. And zewy. In an mmorpg u have to use the click on what to kill and use system otherwise it would be unfair. And all those games u mentiond had a story. No good story yes but still a story. And zewy tresspasser really sucked. Nuff said

2. Xeno_Morph

Xeno_Morph New Member

3. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

Hell, you can't even count Deus Ex and System Shock as RPGs. They're nothing more than shooters with a semi-character system in them.

I really find it hysterical when someone says that Diablo 2 isn't an RPG out one side of their mouths while saying Deus Ex is out of the other.

4. Zewy

Zewy New Member

Deus Ex have a better story then Diablo 2 :smile:
    I just Love FPS games but I like rpg too. So it not so mucth games to buy that is good at all. So I can say that a fps is rpg for me for that it have a level type of system in it :smile: but a bad 2d game with a almost true rpg system in I can call a none rpg for I expact more from it the story in diablo realy is too short. Just a loot of killing.

5. Diemon

Diemon New Member

Hey, you can count System Shock 2 and Deus Ex as fp rpgs. I finished Deus Ex one time without killing anything that i didnt have to kill. Can you count that as an fps? Dont think so. That would be like calling any of the Thieves games as an fps. Witch they arent. They are Sneak em ups.

6. Saint_Proverbius

You most certainly can clear any FPS game without killing all the monsters. I'd say most people who beat FPS games don't manage to kill everything on every level.

Deus Ex is an action game, just like Diablo is.

7. Diemon

Diemon New Member

The point was. In Deus Ex you dont HAVE to kill anything exept bosses. In Diablo there is no sneak skill or anything even close to that. And to me a FPS is a game were you just kill everything you see, like Serious Sam. Sure, i admit you cant call Deus Ex an rpg but dont call it an fps.

8. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

What makes an RPG game by definition? I always thought it's like an adventure game with a development of character added. Preferably also additional ways of approaching each problem.

9. Saint_Proverbius

Well, an RPG isn't a game where you simply play a role. After all, you play a role in EVERY game if you use the term loosely.

However, in an RPG, it allows you to carve out a role for yourself, and act upon that role you chose.

One of the main reasons I rule out games like Deus Ex is because JC Denton isn't aiming his gun, you are. He's supposedly your character, but it's your reflexes that matter, not the character's.

10. Diemon

Diemon New Member

Maybe its my reflexes that matter buts its like that in Arcanum to. If i have autoattack off then i have to click on the enemys to attack. IMO Deus Ex is an rpg. And in Deus Ex you can carve out a role. You can be a badass, A goodass :smile:, Neither of em. Your call. And you dont have to be named JC Denton.

11. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Let's check if I got it right. If JC Denton would be aiming by himself ie whether he manages to hit enemies would depend solely on his stats and the player would only click on an enemy to be attacked - would it make this game an RPG or not?

One more thing. What do you mean by carving a role out for myself and acting upon the role I choose? Is it the character type I create or choices I make which cause people to perceive me as a good/bad guy or both of these or something else?

One definition I found in Oxford English dictionary which seems quite funny for one who enjoys role-playing.
    Role-play (also role playing) - an activity in which people act a situation. It is used esp in training people to develop communicaiton skills or in treating mentally ill people :grin:
    Are we patients and programmers doctors? :wink:

12. Diemon

Diemon New Member

It would not make the game an rpg. Even if you point the crosshair direcly at the enemy he might not hit. Its all dependant on his skills in the weapon ur using.

13. Saint_Proverbius

I play Arcanum in Turn Based, so my shoddy reflexes don't matter at all. My characters attack to the best of their abilities, not mine. I just pick the targets, move them, and decide when they heal. The rest is up to their own statistics.

You don't carve out a role in Deus Ex, you merely chose which set of weapons you want to specialize in. From there, it's a FPS.

14. Diemon

Diemon New Member

You do carve your role. You can allways choose serval ways to complete the quests. Evil ways, good ways and stupid ways (hehe)

15. ~JK~

~JK~ New Member

Diablo and Deus Ex

Back to the original post.

I'm not too fond of Diablo II, but then i realised the problem, I was playing single-player. If you have it, play it multi-player online and you'll get a far more gratifying experiance. But it is a no-brainer game. Not really worty of the status of RPG.

and now on Deus Ex....

Deus Ex, however, IS an RPG. Just because something is from a slightly diferrent perspective it doesn't mean it isn't role playing. The important words are ROLE and PLAYING. As JC Denton (or whoever) that is what you are doing. Admittedly the plot is more forced than in Arcanum, but since it's such a good one it is a perfectly viable alternative. Examples, if you want to be more humanitarian you use the prod and gas canisters to take out your enemies, if you prefer a more direct approach, just mow them down with a sniper rifle. Your actions cause reactions from NPC's. Defining an RPG as whether or not a hit is calculated by a mathematical function seems a bit odd to me.

BG1 is nowhere near as good as BG2, which in my opinion is the best RPG around at the moment. (methinks I might be asking for someone with that comment). But each to their own I say.

~JK~

16. Diemon

Diemon New Member

Thanks JK. Thats what ive been trying to say. Exept the BG1 thing.

17. Strider23

Strider23 New Member

JK

Got it in one, Deus Ex = RPG.

What's the diff between the Thief/Warrior/Mage choices you make in a 'real' RPG and the Sneak/Snipe/Kablooie choices you make in Deus Ex?

Just cos it don't got elves don't mean it's not an RPG.

Now Diablo 2, don't get me started.
    *reaches for sick bag*

18. Saint_Proverbius

Who said anything about Elves? Fallout doesn't have Elves, and it's the best RPG ever made.

19. Calis

Calis Member

Beg to differ.

Deus Ex offers:
    1. A chance to make choices for your character, choices that affect the way the story unfolds
    2. Skills that affect what your character can and can't do

The fact that reflexes play a part in this game does not make it any less of an RPG, IMO.

20. Saint_Proverbius

Star Trek: Elite Forces had that, Calis. It's hardly an RPG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!