Virgil & Magnus are suspicious of me

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by AnnHala, Sep 17, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

I'm not sure that it matters, but they used to be either courteous or amiable towards my character. I'm not sure what I did that might have changed that. Any ideas on what influences their attitudes?

2. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

are you playing patched?

They will leave if their reation is too low or attack if it gets to hatred unless you are mind controlling them.
    Use a fate point to force a good reaction from them

3. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

I'm not playing patched nor am I mind controlling them. Maybe it's because I hit them on accident in battle (at least once every time)?

4. wdygfy

wdygfy New Member

Usually that will lower their reaction and say something like hey that hurts a friend just as much as it would an enemy

what number reaction are they

Like I say use a fate point to raise their reaction

Also I think in the unpatched game if you attack a creature which isn't red *the little circle at their feet* then your parties reaction goes down.

5. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

Thanks for your tips... I'll keep them in mind as I continue questing.

6. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

When they get under 20 worry. Get some Dwarven Snuff for Magnus. Your clothing will help. The Smoking Jacket or Elegant Dress raises reaction by 20%, the barbarian armor or Dread Armor lowers reaction 5 or 10%.

I had an elf, Sold her Soul. Sog would not stay with her if she changed out of her Eleagant Dress. You feel rather funny fighting in helmet, boots, guantlets, & a party dress. You also feel funny getting your dress patched up by a blacksmith. You feel even funnier when you are suddenly standing in a dungeon in your slip & Sog says "me no like you much any more." Men are such pigs.

7. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

I didn't get the dress that enhances reactions in the very beginning and I haven't come across one in any stores... y'know... the pink one.

I'm not sure about fighting in a dress... what I do is carry around 2 sets of clothing... fighting gear and city gear. I have no idea if this is a good way to go or not... but I feel I need some type of armour. Where can you get the snuff, or for that matter, the pink dress?

8. runey

runey New Member

I've found snuff in the general store in Tarant. I haven't found the dress anywhere besides the starter store so far. I've looked in Ashbury and Tarant.

9. Evil Assassin

Evil Assassin New Member

Look in clothing shops, not blacksmiths! Go up the first road you see in Tarant and you should find one. Also you can pickpocket some ladies for them. (quite funny results if it works). Theres also a fashion shop in Tarant somewhere. It isn't that bad to fight in a dress, atleast it gives some defence.

10. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

That's what I usualy do, this was an exception. I hadn't learned that Sog could be apeased by wine.

The dress turns up at the tailors' shops in Trant & Ashbury with some regularity. One can be found at Small Camp. The Sunday's Best Dress works the same way. It has shown up rarely at the shops, but there is one on the shipwreck at Razor's Point.

The blacksmith's is where you get them fixed, Evil Assasian.

11. runey

runey New Member

I get 'em fixed at the guy on the docks in Tarant. He seems to be better at Repair than normal blacksmiths.

12. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

13. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

Hey runey and Shadegrove, are you both playing females?

I also like that guy on the docks... he seems to buy everything from my inventory the shopkeepers won't.

Well, it came down to both of them disliking me after I leveled up to 21. I've now got 10 in beauty and 11 in charisma. I returned to Tarant (from the mines) and got some snuff for Magnus... now he is back to suspecting me of something. I started a dialog with Virgil and apparently he needs to be told how much I need him... he's now Neutral. I also bought a stupid rustic dress... there weren't any pink ones, but it didn't change their responsiveness to me. I just don't get what I'm doing wrong. My good/bad meter is +57 while theirs is +35... it just doesn't make any sense to me, not at this point in the game anyhow. We'll see if they change after I've completed the mines (which I should do tonight) and returned to Bates.

Thanks for all the input... it's been very helpful.

14. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

Try the Jewel of Hebe, + 2 BE, + 1 CH. It is a blessing level item so even the most tech can benifit from it. Its in a chest in the temple in Tarant.

The other dresses don't help reaction. The rustic dress is rather pretty though.

I play mostly Females, the 1/2 Orc girls just rock.

15. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

How so?

I'm playing a half-elf... which could prove to be problematic. I had originally expected to develop magically, but didn't know how fun it would be to make things out of the stuff you find.

Do you have to kill the Panaii priest to get that necklace... is he there at night? If not, I'll just picklock my way in. Thanks for the tip!

16. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

Unless you are VERY good (Skill 5) at prowling and very good at pick locks, you'll need to kill the poor man.

Is being beautiful worth another man's life to you?

17. Luchaire

Luchaire New Member

But of course.

18. AnnHala

AnnHala New Member

For me, it's not about the beauty, it's about keeping my followers.

19. runey

runey New Member

The last time I tried to take that particular bauble, I ended up having to kill the priest, then the guards all started coming after me. I'm not sure if I could've taken them all, since the computer locked up trying to calculate all their little maneuverings. :eek:

Uh yeah, AnnHala, I'm playing as a gal, though now that you mention it, I wonder how Virgil would look in that dress. I'm going to go look. :wink:

20. Shadygrove

Shadygrove New Member

I have done it with 2 points of lockpick & 1 of prowl + Oiled Thieves' Leather (& a few F7s & F8s). Unlocking cantrip works IF you stand as far from the priest as posible. Face him away from the chest with conversation before you open it.

When I have killed him, I never had a problem with guards, but he has gone all the way in fire & the elementals are a bit of a problem.

Our Host!