Lord of the Rings DVD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Milo, Aug 26, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Milo

Milo New Member

Alright, who's bought there's yet?

I got mine over the weekend. It's got a ton of extras, which is good, although I was disappointed that it didn't include cut scenes. The "extended version" is going to be a seperate DVD coming out in a couple of months. Oh well... I'll decide then if it's worth another $15.

By far the best thing about it (besides the actual movie in widescreen, of course) was the trailer for Two Towers. Awesome. I can't wait. Someone on Jackson's production crew needs to telesync a copy and release that shit on the internet already.

Anyway, who's got em? Thoughts on the DVD? Widescreen or Full? Comments on the movie in general?

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I almost bought it today. If I hadn't been on my way to the cinema, I would have done. I don't even want to own the film, really, I just wanted that trailer.

3. Milo

Milo New Member

It's probably worth it just for the trailer and the "making of" type extras. Plus, DVDs aren't all that expensive anyway. Even a cheap bastard like me is willing to spend the dough to put this movie in the archives.

BTW, I found out that the "extended version" DVD with about 30 minutes of added cutscenes is not going to include the original cut. It's also going to have an extra DVD of goodies, but whether it's the same as the goodies DVD with the original cut, I don't know.

There's also going to be a 4 DVD set which (I believe) includes both editions and both extras. That would make it seem like the extra DVD included with the extended version does have different stuff on it. I may have to break down and buy that one, too now.

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

My Dad *should* be buying a DVD system later this year, and you can bet the first DVD I'm buying is that special Lord of the Rings thingy, with all the extra footage which takes it up to an 'R' rating or something like that. I think it's what Jackson wanted to release, but had to cut out because it would have meant not as many people could have seen it. Apparently Boromir's death fight is extended, as well as the mines of Moria, although I could be wrong on that.

Double bonus if it has a trailer for The Two Towers.

5. Milo

Milo New Member

lol welcome to the year 1998 lol rolfletel

Jackson made a big point of stating on the "extras" DVD that the extended version was not a "director's cut" or "his vision of the story". He says he released it more for the hardcore fans, just because they get a kick out of stuff like that.

I haven't heard much of what's on the extended version. The little I have heard concerns a sub-story showing Gimli falling in love with Galadriel. I'm all for more arrow-in-Boromir goodness, though.

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Fuck you :). Just because we don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a system which showed the same movies we already had on video tape...

That was one of the best scenes in the movie for me. I got all emotional and stuff for once.

7. Milo

Milo New Member

Hahaha, just messing with you. I didn't get a DVD until last year. To this day, I own 3 DVDs. Anyway... Thousands of dollars? Either the exchange rates are worse than I thought or you guys are getting a very top shelf DVD player. Mine was just over a $100, I think. It's pretty good for the money. It plays mp3s and VCDs, what more could you ask for?

I know! I sobbed in an extremely robust and masculine heterosexual way after that scene.

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Quite expensive actually. To get that sort of thing here now would still cost you the equivalent of US$250-$300. At least. Anyway, Dad's getting a DVD player with a surround sound system.

9. tzehoong

tzehoong New Member

It does! 8)

10. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

Well, I have the standard DVD version, but I'm getting the extended version as quickly as I can...

11. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Jar Jar, don't feel bad. I don't have a DVD player either. Go VHS!!!!!! :oops:

12. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

I bought the DVD as soon as it came out.

Having read the books multiple times, I also wanted to get the DVD.

I got the widescreen and I really like it, even though I have a small (28") TV.

I am afraid that the "extended" versions with "never before seen footage" I have seen in the past are usually "extended" version with never before seen zoom ins and zoom outs and the ocassional portrait of a character in a never before seen angle".

For that reason, I'm not spending another dollar on this movie .

13. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

Hmm got my DVD for $69 Best Buy me likee very much. Jar tell me again why the US aint the best place to live all the escapism you want for $9.99 just come on down and talk to Earl Sheib.

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

1. We don't have George Bush as our leader.
    2. We don't have Dick Cheney.
    3. We don't have John Ashcroft.
    4. Our kids don't shoot and stab each other on a regular basis.
    5. We have our own continent :).
    6. The sun is shining, the grass is green, and it's winter.
    7. We don't share a border with Canada or Mexico (but New Zealand IS far too close :p)
    8. We drive on the side of the road humanity was intended to drive on - the left.
    9. We aren't likely to be bombed by terrorists soon - first of all, the only worthy targets are down in Sydney (and who cares about Sydney) and second, we'd probably be too lazy to do anything about it.
    10. We have a much more relaxed lifestyle - we spend so much time in the sun, 2/3 of the people end up with skin cancer!

15. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

They do too: it’s called America.
    Fun facts:
    Brazil’s space station is controlled by the US government; there are areas restrict to Brazilians but the US can go wherever they please.
    The surveillance system of the Amazon forest is also controlled by the US. There are rumors of some USA’s geography books describing the Amazon as an international reserve (controlled by the US).

16. Menkhur

Menkhur New Member

And being a Brazillian you post it as a "Fun Fact"?

Interesting ...
    Sad, but interesting.

17. ThreeDogs

ThreeDogs New Member

Jar with the ammount of time you spend on the comp does it really matter if the sun is shining? And as for all the time in the sun well that's just 'cause you guys can't afford DVD players. :p

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

So, Canada isn't a country? Or is Canada not a part of North America? The point I was making is that we have a continent to ourselves. They share with Canada and possibly Mexico and some of those countries down there.

As the largest island (Greenland is NOT bigger) we get our own continent, country and so on and so forth. Greenland doesn't get shit, hahahaha!

19. Milo

Milo New Member

While you guys are busy getting skin cancer from the sun, we're getting eye and brain cancer from the warm radiation of our TVs as they play movies on our affordable DVD players. Haha, we win.

20. carlstar

carlstar New Member

Its not so sunny in nz so we stay indoors on the computer and watching tv and still have the worst place in the world for skin cancer. sucks to live near the south pole where all the pollution from the northern hemisphere goes to eat away at the ozone layer to make it so. neat but we're not bitter.

Dont worry jar we are trying to move new zealand away from australia. Why do you think we have so many earthquakes, its the MAFAP (Move Away From Australia Project).

Our Host!