Linux

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarinor, Aug 7, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

For all you Linux experts or aficiandos out there - which distribution is best? At uni we kind of have to use Red Hat 7.2 (apparently because it's the most popular) but what are all your favourite distributions? I'm thinking about setting up a dual boot system so I have something to fall back on when Windows starts costing more than Adobe Photoshop.

I'm planning to do one of the following things:

1. Back up everything I need, format, partition install Win2k (my 'legal backup' copy) and also some Linux distro or,

2. Upgrade Windows, partition, install Linux distro or,

3. Partition, install Linux distro.

Obviously I'd have to get drivers for all my hardware (must find the ones that came with my computer) and back up everything else I need, but what course of action would you guys recommend? 1, 2 or 3? I'm not going to do a poll either, because some dumbass will probably come along and stack the vote.

Also, please no comments like "Linux suxx0rs!" "Linux is the tool of the Devil!" or "Microsoft rules" or anything to that effect.

2. Gambit

Gambit New Member

Well, I use Red Hat 7.3, but then I have allways used Red Hat on my home computer, but I have had to use other because of my work, I have used every OS what is out there, but still I prefer Red Hat over others.

Best action would probably be another hard drive for Linux, but if that ain't possible, then it depends on how much work you want to do.

Options 2 & 3 might sometimes cause problems, but if you use Red Hat installer you can do partitions during the installation so you don't have to do it before starting the installation.

Option 1 is best of these options but it causes most work, but if everything goes wrong this is what you must do anyways, so back up before you do any of these options.

And note, at least in Red Hat 7.3 came with all drivers what was released before may 2002. And remember to give linux enough swap space (its own partition). Usually how much you have RAM is enough.

3. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Thanks Gambit - I have a huge motherfuckin' book all about Red Hat 7.2 and every possible way you could want to use it. Home workstation, network workstation, network server, and a couple more. It covers pretty much everything I'd ever want to know about Red Hat.

If I was going by names, then Tin Foil Hat Linux would be the one I'd go for :D.

4. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

As Gambit said you don't have to worry about drivers as long as you intend to use your linux for "office" works. If you intend to play games you'd probably have to install video drivers.

As to which Linux to choose. I installed Linux recently and here are my expressions.

1) Mandrake 8.2 has nicer drive partition tool and nicer package updater. Also installing howto files is much easier. Unfortunately Mandrake hung up while I was serfing the web. Since I'm a Linux newbie I thought I just set something wrong but other people have this problem as well.

2) Red Hat 7.3 - It's installer is more sturdy you could say and drive partition tool is worse but nothing you can't get through with install manual. Red Hat does seem more stable but then again it might be just my impression. Contrary to Mandrake I have to manually mount/unmount cd and floppy here but it's no big deal.

As for partitioning you can choose install program to do it automatically. Remember that Linux must be installed on a clean drive space (ie no dos poartition can exist there, if there's one you'll have to remove it). If you decide to partition manually remember that in order to install linux you must have "/" and "swap" partitions.

As to which option to choose go with number 1, it's the most safe one.

One thing on sharing drives. Even though Linux does recognize NTFS partitions, it's still in experimental phase so you might want to set your windows partition to one of FAT. This will come in handy if you decide to use wine (linux program which allows you to run a number of windows programs). It uses windows libraries and they are harder to reach if you have your windows partition formatted to NTFS.

If you need manuals both Mandrake and RedHat allow you to download them in various formats (http, pdf) from their websites. You might wan to get the ones for the distribution you choose and print them before you install (Linux is different from windows). Getting yourself to laser printer is a good idea - I borrowed one especially for this task.

5. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

Well, I'm currently using Mandrake 8.2, but I am thinking about switching to Debian 3.0 (Woody).

If you want an easy install, choose Mandrake, Red Hat or SuSE.

Debian, Slackware or Gentoo are good for people with some experience, but some people say that you should start out with Slackware, because it's the most "real" Linux...

6. Milo

Milo New Member

I was thinking of trying out a linux partition on my new comp, and most of what I've read about it echoes what Kozmo posted above.

Mandrake, Red Hat, or SuSe for easy setup and newbies. Lindows too I guess.

Slackware or Debian if you have some experience or want to jump into the Linux experience with both feet. Alot of people say going this way forces you to really learn how Linux works.

Use Gentoo if you're hardcore.

7. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

Lindows = BAD

Why?

Well, when you use Linux (or any other kind of *nix), you never use the 'root' account (the system adminstrator account) for your normal work. You create a normal user for yourself, because you will screw something up if you're root all the time.

There is nothing stopping you from typing "rm -rf /" (which would erase your entire HD, no questions asked) when you are root.

In Lindows, your standard account for everything is root. This is bad.

There are a bunch of other reasons, but this one is #1.

Don't use Lindows.

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I'm always typing that command - I manage to catch myself most of the time before I hit the enter key though :).

Anyway, I was looking at the list of Linux distro's at www.linux.org or .com or whatever it is, and then I read Slackware's site, and they look to have all the features and stuff that I need. I'm not a complete newbie to Linux or Unix - I've used it at uni a bit (mainly ftp and telnet, but a few other things as well), and I'd really like to learn how to use it some more, and maybe fully get into it and never use the words "I use Windows XX" again.

So, if Slackware 'forces' you to learn how Linux really works, well then, so much the better!

9. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

You've got that right! :D

I'm still wondering whether I'm going to install Slackware or Debian next.

One thing's for sure: it isn't going to be Mandrake again, mostly because you can't install new kernels in Mandrake...

Slackware is the most Unix-like Linux, but Debian has the apt-get system...

10. Milo

Milo New Member

Yeah, that apt-get system sounds like a very easy way to install packages. If I ever do try out Linux, it'll probably be Debian, partly because of the apt-get and partly because someone was nice enough to give me a book about installing and running Debian Linux.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

What's the apt-get system? I know that Red Hat has it's package manager - rpm's install almost instantaneously for me. Although finding out where it's been installed to can be a bugger, and even then it isn't guaranteed to work (*cough*xearth*cough*). Of course, you have to find the rpm of the program first, and then find one which is useful.

12. Kozmo_Naut

Kozmo_Naut New Member

with apt-get you just type:

apt-get install xearth

and it will install xearth and all its dependencies.

13. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Red Hat's is also easy - I just open Konqueror, tell it to open the RPM, tick the box, click install, and it's done...but apt-get sounds a helluva lot easier than that even.

I'll get around to downloading and installing Slackware one of these days...I swear I will!

14. Milo

Milo New Member

Try them all out. It's not like you have to pay for them or anything.

Well, maybe SuSe... Sort of.

Our Host!