Lionhart???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nicebrain, Jun 12, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. nicebrain

nicebrain New Member

Well no game last forever (only arcanum) so whats next. What do you think about Lionhart. A game that uses Fallouts system must have some qualeties.

http://lionheart.blackisle.com/

2. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

It seems good, but the bit about it being a “fast paced action� game worries me. It smells of bad Diablo influence.
    Hmmm, why do I have the strange feeling of déjà vu?

3. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Jar posted a thing about it before we wormholed back in time and space.

I think it looks promising. Sod all the people who moan about the big D. Action has its place. I'll actually prefer it if the combat is a bit more clicky and fluid than Arcanum's or BG's. I just hope it isn't action-packed in the Fallout Tactics sense of the word (i.e. a yawn fest with boring combat and no atmosphere).

4. Dennis Moore

Dennis Moore New Member

Hey, I like Diablo! My point it that Diablo is an action game, arcade like, and not a RPG. If RPG games start to be like Diablo they will lose much. Can you imagine a cross between Diablo and Fallout that is as good as plain old Fallout?

5. Sheriff Fatman

Well, I dunno. What if action games get more like RPG's? More atmosphere, more story, more character progression (stats/skills, I mean).

Also, there are some parts of RPG that could learn something from action games. I have played a shedload of RPG's and have almost invariably been bored sick by the combat before the end of the game. Fallout bored me least, and it still was far from exciting in terms of end-game combat.

6. nicebrain

nicebrain New Member

The combat in arcanum was fun but it was not the best. And a RPG whithout combat what is that, an adventuregame? I think its looks quite well balaceda and fun but you never know untill the demo comes, if it comes

7. gamenut

gamenut New Member

Looks okay. I probably will buy it. As long as I don't have to upgrade my computer anymore. I already spent over a hundred dollars upgrading my video card so I could play Morrowind. At leasi it also got rid of the black triangles in Arcanum also.

8. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Eeesh.... I've talked about Lionheart in about 5 other forums now.... Now it's in this forum again? Anyway, here's a dot point summary of my thoughts on the game:

• Simple minded Hack 'n Slash Diablo clone
    • Talking sounds good but am concerned by FAQ "not able to talk your way through the whole game". Usually means "talking = waste of time"
    • Fallout ACE-LIPS system no big "woop woop". No one really cares about the behind the scene mechanics anyway (Name the Diablo system. Anyone? Anyone at all?)
    • FAQ seems to be written by a dolt. Focuses on "feature laden" view point. IE: It has neat spells, neat combat, options to talk! Features..... Features.... Features... No solid "The world in this game is rah rah rah" explanation of world, politics, and so on. Only "Neat medieval time setting".
    • Besides all that (and some more), the game sounds interesting. Can't decide much now due to very limited information that's currently available. CONCLUSION: Wait for demo (which is likely to be some kind of 200 Mb monster).

9. Sheriff Fatman

Nice to see you're getting into the list craze. Lists are IN.

As to your thoughts on Lionheart
    • That comment has been made a lot.
    • I wish they would make a game that you can talk your whole way through. They'd have to do away with random encounter combat, though.
    • I care what engine is being used. I care that AN engine is being used instead of re-inventing the character system every game. People can't name the Diablo engine because:
      • It has not been resold as an engine. It may not have been developed as an engine.
      • It isn't SPECIAL enough.
    • Game site FAQ's are always 90% sales tool. Sales information is always hyperbole and glitz.

10. nicebrain

nicebrain New Member

You cold not talk your way thru all of arcanum either. And I really do not think it will be a Simple minded Hack 'n Slash Diablo clone. At least not Simple minded

11. Rat Keeng

Rat Keeng New Member

Not to mention this little gem:

Trust BlackIsle? Riiiiight..... Because it's super-cool.

12. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Wow! Really? That's super-cool! (Runs off to DaC to edit a post).

Our Host!