HoMM4 (almost) Killed My Cat¹

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sheriff Fatman, Apr 5, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

After the long awaited launch of Heroes of Might and Magic IV last week, I went to buy it this Monday. As a long-time fan, I saw it as my honour-bound duty.

Not wanting a neglect inspired divorce case, I also bought Lysa a copy. She's not played any Heroes before, but it seemed like her type of thing.

Just a few minutes into the game, I knew I was in trouble. After the realtime mania of DAoC, I found the relaxed, in-your-on-time conquest of my Heroic neighbours very appealing. I couldn't leave the machine. Just one more mine, I kept saying. I'll make a cup of tea after I've seen the new Unicorns. Just let me find out what this wand does ...

To my horror, Lysa was suffering similar problems. She actually rattled through her first game to victory before me, and got a pretty decent score. Rather than attending to her chores, she immediately began a new game.

It was at this point I first wondered about the morality of 3DO creating such a game. Surely it was evil to entertain people to such an extent. Making this much fun available just didn't seem right.

Things came to a few days later, when our cat started protesting loudly enough to break through our addiction. At first, poor Ms Scruples' cries went unheeded, but eventually they registered, as a fortuitous massacre of my Faery Dragons - at the hands of a team of Angels - caused my attention to waver briefly.

[​IMG]

Ms Scruples was on the brink of dropping from starvation. She'd cleaned the local mouse population out completely and hadn't eaten for days. To think, that evil game almost killed her.

Conny Blester, and expert on almost every form of social disease, despite rarely leaving the Church Hall, was heard to comment:

An investigation by the Home Office is being made into the affair, with experts predicting that computer game players will be banned form owning cats in future.

¹We don't own a cat.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2002-04-05 03:15 ]</font>

2. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

One of my favorite Polish computer magazines was almost closed down because the entire staff was sitting day and night playing lan Duke Nukem 3d instead of doing anything else. That was a long time ago, I loved the article they wrote about it. Apart from the fact that they were only playing, they developed angst and "little 2 people" teams which fought against each other with vengeance, they forgot why they were there, that they were friends for over 10 years. The only important thing was to kill the other suckers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinxed on 2002-04-05 03:25 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinxed on 2002-04-05 03:26 ]</font>

3. HexRei

HexRei New Member

my god, its like lord of the flies or something

4. nicebrain

nicebrain New Member

Sounds like school to me. But we had mac so we had to play Shadow Warrior and some other odd mac games

5. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Sheriff I now have a boner for this game (HOMM4) dammit, Civ 3 almost caused me a divorce, and I had to go through WORLDS of shit to get the game. I know any chance of me getting this game soon is slim.. I will not ask you if you recommend this game, because, I know you do not want me to move in with you and Mrs. Lysa just because I hold you responsible for my cook¹ moving out.

By the way, I have kinda fallen off Civ3. In total, I probably made it to the modern era once, MAYBE twice, and all I am able to do nowadays is play to the middle of the middle ages (heh) and then abandon the game and start a new one because somebody plunked 5 cities near me, hogging my borders. Pisses me off. I'm kinda dissappointed that I can't seem to stick with one game for very long. :sad:

¹Wife (Yup, you guessed it)

6. Maniac

Maniac New Member

I got Civ3 and HoMM4. Heroes series are really addictive.

7. Sheriff Fatman

Don't give yourself a hard time about not finishing them. The aim of games playing is to enjoy yourself, not beat them. I know from your posts that you got a lot of enjoyment out of Civ3, so it's job done.

My brother, for instance buys just about every game I've even considered for the PC (ie almost all strategy and RPG's) and has a PS2 as well. He has an infant son and takes his share of the household stuff, plus working a fulltime job in the city, so he has hardly any time to play at. He rarely finishes anything, but comp games give him more pleasure than almost anything besides nephew and his wife.

8. Etalis Craftlord

Etalis Craftlord New Member

Cities near your borders?

Increase science spending, get tanks, blow the crap out of the bastards.

Don't forget to get mutual protection pacts with all your neighbors first, though - and remember, they'll stick with whichever of you two gives them more for it, so give 'em luxury items and money by the bucketfull per turn.

:grin:

9. Etalis Craftlord

Cities near your borders?

Increase science spending, get tanks, blow the crap out of the bastards.

Don't forget to get mutual protection pacts with all your neighbors first, though - and remember, they'll stick with whichever of you two gives them more for it, so give 'em luxury items and money by the bucketfull per turn.

:grin:

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

OR, you could culture up, and get their cities peacefully...

I love turning the world against one computer player - it's so fun!

11. Deadly Bread

Deadly Bread New Member

Strategy games...I used to like them, but I always lose at them, every time, I can play any game and be half-decent, but strategy? No. No matter how long you build up, you're enemies always win..That's the moral of strategy games.

12. Etalis Craftlord

I find that only seems to work on small border cities. Five or six in a clump tend to be more immune to it, even if you completely surround them.

13. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

i love strategy games... smac being my favorite... playing the hardest level, i rutinely hand my opponents their asses on plates... it's beautiful :grin:

14. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

See.... See that there? That's your only problem. If your woman-servant¹ isn't attending her chores, you've got a problem. I'd suggest a trade in for a new model. Apparently, some of the younger ones around really are quite useful.

¹wife

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

He's been married 4.5 months, and you want him to return the model¹ to the showroom already? You realise that the value of something drops by 50% as soon as it leaves the store...

¹woman

16. Sheriff Fatman

If you lot¹ aren't more careful² you might find someone³ performing unpleasant actions¹¹ until you repent²².

Just a thought.

¹Sadly deluded fools
    ²Don't refrain from spouting so much sexist drivvle
    ³Lysa, your wives, girlfriends or passing random females
    ¹¹Kicking you in the nuts with boots³³ on
    ²²Beg for mercy like a blubbering coward

³³LARGE, possibly sharp, boots

17. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Females dominate, sniff... :cry:

18. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member