Gun mastery + idiocy = impossible?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Bralkein, Apr 3, 2002.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Bralkein

Bralkein New Member

Yes it's me again, and I gots another problem. I think there's some kind of bug going on here. Either that or I'm not doing something the way I should.

Ok, I have found W. Thorndop, and I have got to the stage where the little guy runs in, screaming for help. I wait, but nothing happens. So then, I talk to him, and he says something like "Help me William! Something terrible's happened!", but unfortunately, I am an idiot savant.

What this means is, I have intelligence 20, doctorates in 6 tech schools, training in a 7th, but due to some weird mental condition, I can only use stupid dialogue options. This means that my only choice of reply to the little guy is "Urgh", or something like that. If I click on him again, all he says is "Lovely to see you again!", not something someone with an endangered wife should be saying.

So then, I run up the path to the barn... but once I get within a certain distance from the barn, I hear gunshot noises, and the woman is dead. I'm high level enough to take out the whole gang with absolute ease, but once I get back to William Thorndop, the silly bugger goes and tops himself.

Is this a bug, or am I taking the wrong approach? Is it impossible to complete this quest without the proper dialogue? Do I just have to wait longer, so William Thorndop can reply to the little guy?

In the event that it is actually impossible for me to acheive gun mastery and eliminate that pesky range penalty, will the use of a saved game editor to bestow firearms mastery upon my character render him unuseable in internet play if internet play is ever bloody well fixed (I'm still hoping)?

Thanks in advance :smile:

2. Maniac

Maniac New Member

First I don't think you can use your characters from single player game in multi player.
    About the mastery quest: then I was doing it I talked to Thorndrop also and he asked my help or something but those bandits killed that woman anyway so I just dumped the quest.

3. Bralkein

Bralkein New Member

Actually you can use your single-player chars in multiplayer, done it before. You do alt-x in the save game screen, or something like that, I forget it exactly. However, I also THINK I read that editing the save games can make this not work, so I want to avoid cheating if possible...

4. Lethran

Lethran New Member

I had the same problem using an idiot savant. As far as I can tell, you can't do most master's quests with idiot dialog. I wasstuck with the range penalty, so I just played on without it.

5. Mr. Mellott

Mr. Mellott New Member

Well if she's dead in the barn just use the reanimator/restorer you can buy from the herbologist and bring her back to life, It worked for me. Im sorry I dont know if you can Get Firearms Mastery with an Idiot Savant but I just happened to be wondering that same thing the other day...

6. Bralkein

Bralkein New Member

Yay! Thanks for the advice, I should have thought of that earlier :p

I resurrected her, and made the guy give me firearms mastery :smile:

7. kilnar

kilnar New Member

When I did it, I ran in very quickly, with turn-based combat on. That gave me plenty of time to assess the situation.

The key to keeping the woman alive is to have everyone focused on you. The way to do that is to be the 1st person to damage all the bad guys. Take 1 shot at each of them in turn, starting with those closest to her.

You already found an alternative solution, but I hope this helps if you try a new game.

8. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

I chucked a stun grenade inside after blowing the door off with dynamite

Our Host!