will the game be in a box-(original) or DVD- package?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zed Blacksword, May 31, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

personally i don't really disslike large pdf manuals, darn its better then those games that comes with an "5 page manual, and thats it" anyway

2. chrisbeddoes

chrisbeddoes New Member

I dislike pdf manuals.
    For 2 reasons)
    a)I really dislike pdf because its hard on my eyes.HTML is much gentlier.

b) Guess where i read the manuals !!
    In the same place that many people read the newspaper.
    In the toilet :smile:
    You cannot do that with a pdf manual :wink:

3. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

No thats not all, thats all my CURRENT CD's, the rest of mine are in storage (keep in mind that these are all games)

4. toblix

toblix New Member

Actually, here's a funny thought:
    In the last three days, I've bought three games, Myst 3, Tropico and Desperados.

Myst 3 came in a big cardboard box.

Tropico and Desperados came in DVD-cases.

The Myst 3 box contained a 4-cd jewelcase with a manual in the form of a booklet.

Both Tropico and Desperados came with manuals the size of which I've never seen in quite a long time. Now, I still have my doubts a really big manual could fit in them tiny DVD-cases, but there's really enough room to fit at least three cd's and a good sized manual.

5. Spook

Spook New Member

I think a DVD-box only should only have two CDs, and be redisigned to be able to contain a proper manual.

The size of a manual can need to be of different size, and if nessisary I think they should use those boxes for DVD collection for 3 or more DVDs.

6. toblix

toblix New Member

I think they should develop some sort of "enhanced", or "mark 2" if you will, version of the DVD-box, suited to store up to four or five DVD-ROMs and a good-sized manual.

7. Cornelius

Cornelius New Member

Oh so its going to come out on DVD? Great! I have BG on DVD and that was cool. I hope so..... :grin:

8. toblix

toblix New Member

It probably won't.

In fact, in my previous post *points two posts up* I actually meant saying/writing CD-ROMS instead of DVD-ROMs.

9. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

BG had so many game CDs, and thus a reason for the DVD copy, this is hardly the case with Arcanum with only 1 play CD(and one install, but you only need to use that one once).

personally i want big games, and I wouldn't mind an evolution towards DVD games.

10. toblix

toblix New Member

I agree. Still, I hope there won't be one of those phases that appeared when CD-ROM became common, like "Oh man, we're going to have to fill up 5 GB with something. Hey FMV is cool..."

11. Blunder

Blunder New Member

BEtween BGI & II and TOTSC expansion, that was 10 cds. The BGII expansion will be coming along shortly so that will be another cd. One DVD per game sure cuts down on space.

One of the biggest wastes of space I've seen with a cd game is when they first started coming out (386 sx & dx days). I bought this one Conan game. Back then, the graphics looked pretty good as far as games go, so it accompanied me home. I went to install it and the whole game took up 4.3mb of space out of 650mb. Why not just ship the thing on three 1.44s? That was disappointing. :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blunder on 2001-06-05 11:18 ]</font>

12. Whipporowill

Whipporowill New Member

I really, really, really (can I stress that enough?) don't like the dvd-cases. They're good for movies... but when companies actually make thinner manuals (like for FO:T) just to fit them things has gone to far. No more cloth maps and extras anymore either... bah!

13. Spook

Spook New Member

Just make slightly thicker DVD-boxes, no problems. :grin:

14. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

if you want really big big manuals, it can be added on the outside.

you have the book in a size equal that of the DVD, and then you plaster the box and the book together.

15. Lord Jantar

Lord Jantar New Member

I have to admit that I have never gotten a DVD box, movie, game or otherwise. However, I definitely would prefer a huge .pdf manual to a tiny manual or worse- no manual at all (which i have actually had happen). My favorite type of manuals are the huge, thick, book-like manuals. One I was particularly impressed with was the Age of Kings (Age of Empires 2) manual. The thing was several hundred pages long, had color pictures, and was very informative.

I have heard that the Arcanum manual is nice and thick, and will even have original game fiction. Can anyone confirm?

16. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

You can download it at our download site, without pictures tho. and yes, it got a introduction that is fiction, 1 scientists lecture on the tech vs magick dillemma, and a explorers written introduction. also there is a bread recipe at the end. i've not check the middle grounds personally, but perhaps you might find some finction in there as well.

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/station/downloads.shtml

17. Jureel_Krix

Jureel_Krix New Member

AOK came with that? I got a very crappy manual, my fav manuals are from fo and fo2, good thick and very well written

18. monkeypunch

monkeypunch New Member

i've recived some manuals that i liked, fallouts 1 and 2, and SMAC, and perhaps some other, that i can't remember.

SMAC's was pretty huge, i've read through half of it or so, still 140 pages is pretty tasty.

Our Host!