The beginnung is hard as crap!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Xithias, Dec 26, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xithias

Xithias New Member

Please help the fricken wolves keep killing me and some one help me pick between tech or magick.

2. RobWakeman

RobWakeman New Member

Which freakin wolves? Where? In the wild? I had that problem my first time too, except with grizzly bears. All I can say is... save often. There are some beasts you are just not meant to beat when you're level 1, level 2 etc...

And its your first time playing? Magick is easier.

3. Odi

Odi New Member

A magic user is the easiest and Virgil will be able to continue to cure you from poisons and injuries with rarer failures.

By the time I hit Shrouded Hills the first time, my character is about to hit level three. The boars deal more damage than the Ailing Wolves. Just clearing the crash site, including the Kite Mage and the cave East of the crash, earns a couple of levels. Venturing too far pits you against healthy wolves. One at a time usually isn't too bad; but two or three can be deadly, especially without good armor and weapons (and effective spells). Save the game often. At lower levels it may be best to lure one wolf at a time. Follow up on all the early quests to earn some experience points. That's the only way I can build up enough to leave Shrouded Hills.

4. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

If you choose magick you'll have an easy game.

If you choose technology you'll have a much more interesting game.

5. Lycander

Lycander New Member

With those found schematics arcanum will definitely be fun

6. Xithias

Xithias New Member

Also can I use custom backgrounds from Terra, because I want to use the background "bornin sunroom."

7. Pissukonde

Pissukonde New Member

On a similar note: has anyone noticed how, say you're going from Tarant to Ashbury, when you're level 12 or whatever, you keep getting attacked by 3 were-rats, or 5 of those huge spiders and keep dying. But if you do the same journey at level 30, you get attacked by one ailing wolf at a time?

8. FluffyLittleRabbit

FluffyLittleRabbit New Member

Being a Magick inclined user is the easiest for the average newbie. Get harm at first, it kills the ailing wolves in 1 hit, boars in 2-3 hits, kite warriors in 1 or 2 hits and kite shaman is about 5 hits. Well, our dear flamethrower has written a walkthrough for beginners somewhere in this forum, so if you have got the time go look at it.
    Well anyway, I'll provide a walkthrough.

Wake of the Crash.
    Well a monk name Virgil will come to you. Talk nicely to him so his reaction will go up. Recruit him into your party. For maximum experience, ask him to wait when ur fighting. Harm does the job anyway. Make sure you loot the bodies of everyone. Make sure you have got the camera and the note of Wilhemma(whatever you spell it). The camera will help Maximillian in Caladon later and the letter will bring news to Jared in Tarant. Make sure you open the Industrial Savage and Magical Chest. Head into a cave nearby. There you will find many sewer rats. Harm kills them in 1 or 2 hits. You will then find the spirit of Charles Brehgo, an evil thief. Listen to him and be tempted by his "treasure" and accept his quest.

Your first quest in Arcanum.
    Head to Arbalah's house and listen to him patiently. Help him get his artifact from Simon. Return to Brehgo and ask him where Simon is. Go find Simon and either frighten him into giving you the artifact, or kill him(He is a coward and will run away after half the fight or if you're lucky he will simply run away). Give Arbalah his artifact back. You will then get a blessing and some experience. Craving for some experience? Well read on.

Lets be a heartless jerk.
    Attack Arbalah and kill him. Note that he often casts stun on you its quite difficult and the minute races will often get scars. Head back to Charles Brehgo, tell him you've killed Arbalah and you will get more experience(maybe lvl up). Watch him laugh at you for being a fool for believing he had a treasure. If you got conjure spirit, cast on him and torture him :minigun: . Head to Shrouded Hills. Oh yes, by the way, if you've reached the altar when you go to Arbalah's house or to Shrouded Hills, a molochean hand assasin will confront you. Tell Virgil to talk to him if you want to frighten him off or talk to him yourself and get him killed. If you want more experience just walk out of the crash site and you will find many wolves and ailing wolves. Those wolves may massacre low-leveled characters if they get near you.

Congratulations! Peace for now!
    So you've finally reached Shrouded Hills. Here you can rest without fear of anything attacking you, unless you provoke the townsfolk or find trouble yourself. Listen to Virgil and head to the inn to find Elder Joachim but instead you will find 2 corpses and a letter. Pick it up, read it and listen to Virgil talk. Now you can do the quests in Shrouded Hills. Here are the quests.
    1. Help Jacob Bens rob the bank. Talk to the half-orc guy in the inn and agree to rob the bank for him. Secretly steal the key to the safe from the woman in the bank and talk all the money. DO NOT GIVE 250 GOLD TO JACOB BENS! Head to Doc Roberts and tell him that Jacob wants you to rob the bank. He will praise you and ask you whether you want to help him with bandits trying to rob the bank agree. Also, go to the inn to find Jacob Ben missing :smile:.
    2. Help Doc Roberts to repel the bank robbers. If you agree to help Doc Roberts, head into the bank and you will find a dead guard, 3 robbers and a frantic woman. Kill those robbers. They are easy. Or, run like a pussy and let your followers and Doc Roberts kill them. After you disperse of them, meet Doc Roberts outside and he will give you a reward. You will also have a new reputation which makes everyone in Shrouded Hills like you more.
    3. Help Jongle Dunn destroy the steam engine in the town hall. Go to a house with a sign "Jongle's Enchantments" and talk to the halfling wizard. He wants you to destroy the town engine for 3 health potions. Go into the town hall(the only large building in town), kill all the sewer rats and enter the room. There will be an unsuspecting dwarf and a steam engine. Kill the dwarf and destroy the engine using your bare hands or dynamites or grenades. Head back to Jongle Dunn for your reward.
    4. Help Jongle Dunn retrieve his package. This quest is fairly straightforward. He asks you to go to Dernholm to collect his package from a shopkeeper there. Just go to Dernholm and get the package(This quest will have to be done later)
    5. Repair the Town Engine. After you've destroyed the town engine, the Constable next to the Town Hall will ask you to bring him a sprocket to repair the town engine(He doesnt know that you are the one who destroyed the engine). Go into the Bessie Toone Mine and after some exploring, you will find the sprocket. Return it to the Constable. Note: If you do this quest before you did Jongle Dunn's 2nd quest, Jongle Dunn will not accept your package.
    6. Help Percival Toone get rid of his mother's ghost in the mine. With some exploring in Shrouded Hills, You will find Percival Toone in a house near the mine. He will tell you that his mother is haunting the mine and the mine isnt producing any pure ore. Help him, and go into the mine. You will find her mother's ghost and her uttering Sarah. Talk to Percival Toone about her sister and he will tell you she resides in Dernholm. Go to Dernholm and speak with her sister. She will ask you to help her retrieve the deed of the mine from the mineowner in Tarant. Go to Tarant and find the mineowner's given address. To get the deed back, you can either: 1. Buy it. 2.Convince the mineowner that you are from the Industrial Council and that you think he got the deed by underhand means. He will not be convinced enough so frighten him that he should appear in court as a witness to prove that he is innocent. Watch him hand over the deed obediently. 3.Kill him. After you got the deed, you have the option of either handing it to Percival or her sister. (This quest will have to be done later.)
    7. Help the Constable to get rid of the thieves at the bridge. There are some ways to get rid of the thieves at the bridge. 1. Kill them. This can be quite hard for low lvled characters. 2. Convince Lukan that you are from the Tarant Thieves Underground and that you are here to warn him that he is occupying the thieves underground's territory. He will be frightened because he dared not ruin his chance of joining the thieves underground. Tell him to make amends and he will give you 200 gold and they key to the bridge gate, praise you and run away like a coward.
    8. Help Lukan destroy the bridge materials. This is another way to cross the bridge. Destroy the bridge materials for Lukan. This quest isnt available if you agree to help the Constable to get rid of them. Just go to the south of the thieves and destroy the bridge materials using anything that can do damage. Return to them and they will let you pass.
    MAIN PLOT IN SHROUDED HILLS:
    Get information about the ring given by the dwarf Stennar. Go to Ristzee's General Store and ask about the ring. There are 3 ways to reveal information about the ring. 1st way: Find the Bessie Toone Shoe(In the mine) or the Camera(At the Crash Site) or both and give it to Ristzee. You will get 1 fate point too. 2nd way: Praise Ristzee and talk with him about about the topics available. Talk and praise about the knowledge he has along the way. Then talk about Tarant and stuff. He will talk and talk and talk and accidently reveal about P Shuyler and Sons and its address. Pretend ignorant and end the topic. You will not get 1 fate point for this way though. 3rd way: Sneak past Ristzee and steal his map and journal(?) in his dresser. IT will reveal about P Scuylers and Sons.
    THIS IS MY WALKTHROUGH. HOPE IT HELPS.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FluffyLittleRabbit on 2001-12-28 01:15 ]</font>

9. RobWakeman

RobWakeman New Member

When someone's waiting do they still level up when you do?

10. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

i'm not certain but i don't think so, can anyone give a definate answer please i for one would like to know for sure

11. Xithias

Xithias New Member

12. HED854

HED854 New Member

Janya is in Dernholm. (When you enter the town, head south-east )

13. Xithias

Xithias New Member

How do I get Dernholm to appear on my map?

14. RobWakeman

RobWakeman New Member

Walk to it. Its at the southern tip of the area south of Shrouded Hills. Look on the site for the exact coordinates. Careful though, there will be more wolves on the way! And bears!

Oh wait I'm a clown. Ask any of the citizens of Shrouded Hills. They can tell you where it is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RobWakeman on 2001-12-29 10:23 ]</font>

15. carlstar

carlstar New Member

waiting people dont level up. theyre not in the party so get none.
    if everyone you meet joined you and you then told them to wait you would never go up a level.

Our Host!