Any use for "ancient" items from I. of Despair?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by James Watt, Dec 11, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. James Watt

James Watt New Member

How about it? Are the "ancient" items (filament, glass, etc.) from the Vendigroth sub wreck on the Isle of Despair used in any schematics?

pjm

ps- excepting of course the ancient gun chassis; i already have the schematic that uses it.

2. Quethim

Quethim New Member

3. James Watt

James Watt New Member

[historylesson]In 1769, James Watt, a Scots inventor, invented the improved steam engine, which powered the Industrial Revolution. (In real life, of course.)[/historylesson]

pjm

EDIT: I just loooove commas, don't I?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: James Watt on 2001-12-11 20:15 ]</font>

4. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

James Watt didnot invent the steam engine than ancient roman in Egpty did and the Egpty use the steam engine to close and open heavy and
    large temple door like by magic, when the arabs convert egpty to their religion they discover the blue printed and working models of steam engine and change then into engines which can pump water out of deep mines and pump out bad air while pump in good air. These engine where very expanvise to built and run so their where use where their really needs like in deep iron,copper,tin,gold and silver mines. In the 10 th cenutry europe learn from the Arab how to built steam engine for mineing
    their where at the most only 1% effient, Watt was ask by than mine owner if he could improve
    the efficent of the steam engine which he did.
    Watts never claim to have invent steam engine and he never try to patient it. It was only later Englandman who where trying to rewrite history by claiming that the knowldge of stream engine didnot came by the way of the Arab from
    the Roman.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CharlesBHoff on 2001-12-12 00:15 ]</font>

5. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Before this becomes a firefight, please note the addition of the word 'improved' to James Watt's post and its absence from CharlesBHoff's. One lil word, with a whole load of significance.

Anyone interested in an explanation may find this article on the history of the steam engine useful. It's (apparently) by a professor of mechanical engineering at Stevens Institute of Technology. Presumably his credentials at least match those of anyone on this forum.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2001-12-12 00:42 ]</font>

6. James Watt

James Watt New Member

Thank you, Sheriff Fatman. I would have posted something to that effect, but would probably not have done it so diplomatically.

Anyway, can someone please answer my original question? Are the ancient items useful, or should I dump/sell them?

pjm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: James Watt on 2001-12-12 03:28 ]</font>

7. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Hoho - I really do have my head up my arse sometimes :grin:

To answer your question, you can use one of the artifacts to complete the quest for Jones the collector on the Isle.

The ancient chassis can be used to create Bronwycks gun, if I remember rightly, which is a species of flamethrower.

8. James Watt

James Watt New Member

I knew that one of the items could be traded to Jones the collector for the ancient gun chassis, and (as I said before) I already have the schematic for Bronwyck's Gun. What I meant was, do they have any further use (i.e. in other schematics). Aparently they do not, so I'll unload them forthwith.

pjm

ps- am i the only one that likes words like 'forthwith?' probably. must be because i like to sound pretentious.

pps- why do people log on to irc chat channels, then go to sleep or watch tv? could someone answer me that? please?

9. T'pek

T'pek New Member

What a bunch of ignorants!
    The dwarves invented the Steam-Engine! :p
    Haven't you been playing Arcanum?!
    (Note, this message is a joke... no offense)

I know you need to to trade for the ancient gun chassis.
    And there are 2 schematics laying around.

10. Odi

Odi New Member

RE The aforementioned (figured you would like "aforementioned";p) ancient artifacts retrieved from the Isle of Despair: None are accepted by the NPC at the Roseborough Inn as evidence of ancient technology nor have I discovered any other unique applications for said items other than those already mentioned.

In the not so distant past, folks used IRC to circumvent ISP activity polling in order to remain connected to the internet.

11. Shibo Ishi`ike

Shibo Ishi`ike New Member

The Items can be used for Jones the Collecters quest or you can use the parts for some schemtics or just sell them.

12. Nugget of Joy

Nugget of Joy New Member

ancient tech

There's a guy in the roseborough in, Jason C. Guy, that asks you to tell him if you find any ancient technology. However, I talked to him with some ancient gears in my hotkey bar, and it didn't do anything. Incidentally, James Watt (a different one) is one of the Great Satans of the environmental movement. He was secretary of the interior under Reagan, and was responsible for some of the worst preventable environmental devastation in American history. I will rip his lungs out with my bare hands if I ever see him. (just kidding!)

13. James Watt

James Watt New Member

Hmmm... I'd never heard of that James Watt... maybe I'll change my nick now... :mad:

pjm

14. James Watt

James Watt New Member

Shibo Ishi'ike: You say they can be used in some schematics? Which ones? I am trying to determine whether I should bother carrying these things around, and which of them I should trade to Jones (that is, which of them is least useful, if any of them are at all). Please be SPECIFIC. Thank you.

pjm

15. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

I usually just trade the gears to Jones. You could probably use the rest of the stuff in the same way you'd use their "non-ancient" equivalents in schematics. But I've never found a schematic that specifies "ancient gears" or "ancient filament".
    I've never found a use for that stuff.

16. James Watt

James Watt New Member

17. Skie88

Skie88 New Member

Well those ancient thingies aside from the quest item are also usable for other common schematics, ive tried the looking glass for my lgr. But if your asking if they have any other effect, there is none. I thought of creating a special lgr from that one, but what I did get was the normal one... I believe its the same for the other things.. Hope this help, Its late though.. :wink:

18. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

Well when I went to public school all they taught was James Watts invert the steam Engine and how great western civilization was compare to the other great civilization. There is than look title ISLAMIE CONTRIBUTIONS TO CIVILIZATION
    by Stanwood Cobb copyright 1963 hurry to get your copy before the far rightwing Zionist and far rightwing Christian Funstion have the book ban in the United State of Zionist.
    I have as than amuater study other non-western civilization like on the west coast of Africe once was than Cililization which in 10Th century was more advance than most kingdom in Europe where.
    The Bytmanic Empire didnot give Eupore any
    knowlege of the anicent world or new scientic knowlege all of the above knowlege came thought spain and sicily by the knowlege arabs. In 1th century AD Mesopamic we found evidence of simple battery which use their electric current to speed up the healing of broken bones. Well the whole world use Arabic
    number with the zero sytmic taken from than Hindic Temple holy sytmic which stood for nothing. Could you want to do math useing roman numbering system or the greek numbering system use in Ptymoic Egytic.
    The ancient Egyticly state in their writen from around 3100 BC that their culture go back
    40000 years when the people where more adance
    than great catylmic event brought that culture
    down.

Our Host!