New to the game, need some help!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Gabby_Jay, Dec 10, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Gabby_Jay

Gabby_Jay New Member

Got the game a few days ago, and I've been playing through it as Dren D'Lor (sp? Anyways, it's the premade elven male character). I've gotten to Tarant, and now I am in the Black Mountain Mines, doing the quest for Mr. Bates, and I run into these ogre golems who I cannot beat. How can I kill them. I usually get it down to ~50% health then it just beats down on all my party members, and me. I am lvl 10, with that first guy (forget his name) at lvl 10, and that ogre dude from shrouded hills (Sod Med Mog?) at lvl 9. The ogre golem is lvl 25. O, and all our weapons get damaged when we fight the golem, but I am guessing that is because a golem is made of rock. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

2. vanderling

vanderling New Member

get the dog in ashbury and there will be no more problem or take an axe or mace: they will get slower damaged when you hit the golem.

3. Gabby_Jay

Gabby_Jay New Member

Cool, but...

...Should I take the train to ashbury? Or is there another way I should take (it isn't on my map)? And how do I get this dog? (sorry for so many questions, but I am super n00b).O, and also, my ogre party member uses a charmed axe I found, I use a Bow and the other guy (Panarii fanatic) uses a sword.

4. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

Welcome to the forum! :wavey:
    Yes, get the Dog in Ashbury (there's another thread around here about that). You're pretty low level with a small party, so here's a trick I use to beat the Golems:
    Have your party wait out of view of the Golem. Then run up to the creature to attract its attention. When it starts following you, run back and past your waiting party. Stay just out of the creature's reach. It will follow you, and your party will follow the Golem, attacking it from behind.
    But go get the Dog in Ashbury, first.
    Sure, you can take the train to Ashbury. Once you're there, start running immediately forward (right, on your screen) until you find a guy kicking a dog.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feldon Kane on 2001-12-10 11:35 ]</font>

5. Gabby_Jay

Gabby_Jay New Member

Thanks....

but you said I am low lvl and have a small party to be fighting golems. How should I level more and get more members? The dwarf outside of p.schuyler and sons won't join me and I've done quite a few quests to get experience, and I fight all I can to get experience, so how should I go about lvling more/getting more members? And thanks for the quickness of the replies lol, I just press refresh and BOOM another kind soul to help me. Finally, thanks for the welcome.

6. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

Give me a brief rundown of your character. I've never played a pre-made. But I do know this: Magnus the Dwarf does not like Elves.

7. Gabby_Jay

Gabby_Jay New Member

Well...

Before I give a rundown of my char, I just wanted to say I went to Ashbury, and by the inn (or hostelery or whatever), I found a "worthless mutt". I am guessing this is the dog, but it was dead. Help?

As well, the dwarf (magnus) said "I think you're a bit green yet. Once you've seen more of the world, come back and talk to me" As well, he has a good reaction to me (~65).

My char:
    D'Ren L'Elor
    Lvl 10
    St: 7
    CN:10
    Dx: 9
    Be: 7 (I was scarred twice :sad:)
    In: 8
    Wp: 9
    Pe: 9
    Ch: 10
    Health: 47
    Fatigue: 53
    31% Good
    45% Magic
    Dmg Bonus: -1
    Ac Adjustment: -1
    Speed: 7
    Heal Rate: 3
    Poison Recovery: 10
    Reaction Modifier: -7
    Max Followers: 2

Spells:
    Vitality of Air
    Purity of Water
    Charm Beast
    Entangle
    Minor Healing
    Halt Poison

Didn't know what you wanted, so posted pretty much everything. If you need info on my party members, just ask. And thanks for all the help!

8. vanderling

vanderling New Member

For your scars don't worry and just go to the doctor of shrouded hills: he's a master so he will heal your scars.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vanderling on 2001-12-10 12:25 ]</font>

9. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

If Magnus said you were green that means you needed to gain more levels. Magnus is level 8 when he begins, so you would need to be at least level 6 to get him to join you. If you are now level 10, and of good alignment, Magnus should join you if you talk to him nicely.
    As for Dog, you must have cruised Ashbury instead of running straight to where he was being beaten. You need to go straight to the Dog when you enter Ashbury.

10. Gabby_Jay

Gabby_Jay New Member

11. FluffyLittleRabbit

FluffyLittleRabbit New Member

Yo, you should get harm, the best spell in the game. Its cool. And when fighting ore golems its best to fight from far, leave ur followers behind and slowly cast harm or whatever on it. Dont use melee cause it'll rock you.

12. FluffyLittleRabbit

FluffyLittleRabbit New Member

Dog is a best melee fighter you'll ever have. Resurrect him. Resurrect him within 2 days after you see his carcass or his body will be gone FOREVER and you cant get him FOREVER.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FluffyLittleRabbit on 2001-12-10 18:21 ]</font>

13. CharlesBHoff

CharlesBHoff New Member

My female elfish techlogist went thought black root with only torian kel, I use the pyrotechnic axe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CharlesBHoff on 2001-12-11 00:51 ]</font>

14. Lycander

Lycander New Member

If ur lvl is quite low,u can try exploring the closed sewers of tarant and getting some experience before u go to the mines...the entrance is in a house southwest of the gypsy surrounded by water.

15. Lycander

Lycander New Member

hey...

i'm lvl 12 n yet i can't recruit magnus simply because i can only exit my chat right iafter i talked to him.Jarinor says i have screwd up things but how and what happened?(I know i might have kept asking this question but i would really want to clear my doubts)

16. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

You have to be very careful when talking to Magnus. He's easily offended.

17. Gabby_Jay

Gabby_Jay New Member

Got the Dog.....

and when I was in Ashbury, I went into that mansion to get experience. Got the the basement and those lord slaves are HARD!!! Lol, they blow me up good, seeing all the guts fly. Neways, lvl 13 now, went back to the mines after the mansion was too hard, and the golems are still hard, but at least I can beat them now. Btw, how do I get my followers to hold position? When I tell them to WAIT, they leave the party and attack on their own, it's very annoying. Any suggestions? O, and where can I get a good bow? Mine kind of sux (it's the bow from the smith in Shrouded Hills).

18. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

Take your followers further away, so they can't see you fighting, and they'll wait.
    As for a bow, I have no suggestions. Sorry.

19. Woundead

Woundead New Member

voff ! Voff!

when i ressurect worthless mutt he only says: Voff! Voff!

Why? Is this fixed in the newest patch?

20. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

What do you want him to say? He's a dog!
    Do you mean he won't join you?

Our Host!