what should i learn on my human backstabber.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Winuz, Dec 5, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Winuz

Winuz New Member

i have decided to learn 20 strength, 20 dexterity, 20 perception.

and master backstab
    master melee
    master prowling

dont feel i need dodge because i just backstabbs them, but should i learn it.

what else do you guys think i should learn, and what do you guys think about the things i have decided to learn.

2. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Welcome to the forum Winuz!!!
    While being an all melee character I suggest you learn dodge

3. YeaYea2001

YeaYea2001 New Member

Dude, bacstab is a lousy skill, unless your a master, it rarely does any good. Pump up dodge, and if you have nothing else to put points into, then go for backstab

4. Squish

Squish New Member

So what you are saying is that ~8x damage is lousy? Have you ever tried backstab with prowl or by stunning the enemy first? Without either it still doubles your damage when you attack the enemy from behind which isn't a bad side effect. I don't think those are bad bonuses for a melee-based character.

Note: Oy, I must read over my posts...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: squish on 2001-12-06 03:38 ]</font>

5. Childe Random

Childe Random New Member

I got apprentice backstab even for my non-melee character. I also tend to use a more balanced character style than the original poster, but to each their own. I wouldn't bother with 20 strength, but I'm sure it'd help. Also, since you're going to have 20 perception, you just may want to take up firearms (unless you're a magicker). I like to get dodging for all my characters, because it seems like they die so damn fast.

6. Milo

Milo New Member

I disagree. Totally. Once you get expert training and can use swords and axes to backstab, the skill owns. Movement during combat in turn-based hardly takes any APs at all, so it's basically trading 1 or 2 APs in order to do alot more damage per round.

Even without expert training, you can still use a dagger of speed and attack mucho times. With the added damage from backstab, even that weak-ass little weapon is no joke.

I get at least expert training in backstab on almost all characters I play. Any that actually fight melee, that is. It's that useful.

7. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

20 perception? i wouldn't bother going over 18 myself and throwing the other 2 points into con or charisma

8. Winuz

Winuz New Member

RE : what should i learn on my human backstabber.

i like your thoughts, (dont know if that`s written right)

the reason i wants 20 or 18 perception is that prowling needs that...

and backstab really kick ass, you do a huge amount of damage pluss the hugh chance of critical hit when you master it.

should i learn dodge??? because its almost no close combat scenes, but there are someone. and if i learn it how much should i put in it?

9. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

dodge comes in really handy from a survival standpoint if your going to be doing a lot of close combat, even with my mage i still maxed out dodge so i could concentrate on my offensive capabilities instead of healing every other round

Our Host!