Smuel's good morning extravaganza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, May 3, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

What do you think of theater actors? Their job is even more difficult....

Anyway, today I've picked two versions of the same song. They have the middle part different but the rest is identical. So I've copied the 2nd middle part and edited it after the 1st one, like A-B1-B2-C. The difficult part was to make it flow naturally. And, oh man, it worked like a charm.

Good morning.

2. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Uh... I mean... tracks or it didn't happen.

Anyway, theatre actors probably have broadly the same categories as film actors, but there's an additional factor of something like - can you make large exaggerated movements and speak loudly, while seeming like you're behaving and speaking naturally.

I've never really liked watching live performances though, so I haven't analysed theatre much.

Good morning.

3. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Netflix just sent me an email to say that from now on I will be seeing adverts when I watch shows on there.

Welcome to the end of civilization, folks.

Good morning.

4. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

Here, hope you like it :)

Pity.

5. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I've never been able to get into music that has guitars in it. I don't know what it is, but there's just something about the aesthetics of the genres which don't speak to me at all. It applies equally to acoustic and electric. Therefore I've never really liked rock, metal, country, or guys hanging out at a party and aimlessly strumming.

Now, there are exceptions. It's not like any song featuring a guitar is verboten. I like most of Queen's output, and there are various songs by Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and Velvet Underground which I think are pretty good. So it's probably one of those things where it's not actually the guitar itself I find offensive, it's that the presence of guitars correlates with some other aspect of the music which doesn't speak to me. Maybe a particular emotional cadence, or rhythmic speed. Whatever it is, the effect is that, generally speaking, any musical piece which is built upon guitars as the main instrument is facing an uphill battle with me. It somehow has to not trigger my sense of "it's guitar music" in order for me to appreciate it at all.

So, your thing sounded good. I can hear that the elements work well together. The progression flows nicely. But, did I like it? Sorry to be a downer, but I'm afraid I did not. Maybe try removing all of the guitars?

Good morning.

6. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

[​IMG]

Even if I have access to their multitracks I wouldn't commit such atrocity against music. Removing guitars, preposterous!

In any case, thanks for the feedback and good morning.

7. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I'm starting to suspect that some people may have left this forum.

Good morning.

8. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

Who would have thought that this would happen?

Good morning.

9. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

Sadness intensifies

Good morning (if that's possible)

10. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Oh no, what happened? Were you supporting England in the European football tournament?

Good morning.

11. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I've now been suffering through ads on Netflix for a few weeks, and... it's actually not that bad. They don't really show many ads at all, I get maybe one every couple of hours.

This could be because they haven't ramped up their ad sales operations in my region yet, or maybe it's because I watch such an eclectic mix of shows and movies that they can't easily pigeon-hole me so they don't know which ads to show. Obviously I like the second explanation much more. Let's go with that one. Yep, I'm awesome.

Good morning.

12. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

Do I look like a mindless sports fan? Half is right thou....

13. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I got it half right, and it's not to do with sports? So... you were supporting England in the... uh... Eurovision?

Good morning.

14. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

It was a joke, the half part right is "mindless" :p

15. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    It's okay, bruh, you don't have to tell me what's wrong. Just know that I'm here for you.

Good morning.

16. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Seems like a roundabout way of you telling us you have no rizz.

Also Keanu plays a better FBI agent that Al Pacino, you never factor points like that in before you type do you Smuel? I guess by your logic the Devil's Advocate is the true test of acting talent - Jesus wept.

Good morning.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
  17. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

Bruce Campbell vs John Goodman: who wins?

Good morning.

18. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Like, in acting ability, or in a fight to the death?

Good morning.

19. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

I was thinking the first one, but now I'm curious about the second too
    Good morning.

20. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Did you guys know that Blizzard made a MOBA about 10 years ago? It's called Heroes of the Storm. You have to download Battle.net in order to play it, but if you've played any other Blizzard games recently (Warcraft, Diablo, Overwatch, World of Starcraft, etc) then you've already got that.

I tried it out recently, and it's not bad. Better than DOTA or League of Legends, since it has fewer pointless tactical mechanics such as last hitting and item shops, and the laning phase is less strict, so it is generally a tighter game. Matches rarely take longer than 20 minutes. It also has fewer "assassin" style abilities, so generally you don't find yourself suddenly dying when an enemy hero blinks in from nowhere, which makes it less frustrating for beginners.

Like most MOBAs (except Fractured Space) it has too many heroes and too many abilities per hero, but all the heroes are taken from other Blizzard properties, so at least you might be familiar with some of those characters already, which makes it less daunting to get up to speed with the roster.

The main problem I've encountered is that Blizzard isn't promoting the game any more so there aren't many new players. This means that right from the start you will be matched with experienced veterans, and by contrast you will feel like you aren't very good. As opposed to Arena of Valor where you can walk all over the other noobs for the first few games that you play. Still, in my first PVP game I wrote "This is my first ever game" in the chat, and the rest of the team were like "No way! Cool!" and then we won. Probably no thanks to me. My overall winrate is currently ~40%, so yeah, it was definitely no thanks to me.

Still, if you are looking for a new MOBA-like thing, and haven't tried it before, I would recommend giving Heroes of the Storm a go. I've been enjoying it, and even got MVP a couple of times. As a healer no less. Oh, this is my jam!

Also, it has an ARAM mode, so Japes should be happy about that.

Good morning.

Our Host!