Fun game, horrible documentation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pspahn420, Nov 20, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

IMHO.
    D&D is the starting point for nearly every sucessful role-playing game. It's only natural that, when games progressed from the pencil-and-paper stage, designers took from popular sources. They couldn't help it --art isn't created in a vacuum-- and people were familiar with it.
    The AD&D system is the industry standard because it works and people are familiar with it. The whole TSR line of games used this system (with some permutations like in Gamma World and Six Guns & Sorcery), and nobody came up with a better way to run a campaign. Traveller was fun, but the documentation was so flimsy you might as well have written your own game.
    Hey, I don't want to hurt anybody, but when you see a question in this forum like "What does AC stand for" don't you react with disbelief? How could somebody not know that? It's so obvious, isn't it?
    Nope. Not if you're a young'un, raised on computers.
    But for the old guys in the crowd, like me, it all goes back to D&D. ALL these games are just computerized versions of AD&D.
    Thank you. End of outburst.

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Yep, you're surely right to some extent. I don't want all those non D&D games to go forgotten though!

Did anyone play:
    - Star Frontiers?
    - Tunnels and Trolls?
    - Runequest?
    - GURPS?

Gamma World was cool. It was one of the few where I didn't have to be DM, so I enjoyed it more just letting me be a player.

Tunnels and Trolls was such a cool, funky game. It's rules were completely different from D&D, but its background made it so much fun. One of the PC races was 'Fairy' and they were actually only a few inches tall!

Also the spells were hilarious. The standard direct damage spell was called "Take that You Fiend" - casting it was a real mouthful!

Jeez - I hope I haven't lost that lil yellow box.

3. Sheriff Fatman

Sorry to follow my own post, but this is about something different.

Jarinor, if you knew me, you'd be laughing your arse off right now. My whole life is filled with people I'm at odds with because my opinions are a little whacked. Your entire post could be a description of why my life is so hard :smile:

I think the only difference (and you didn't mention it this post) is the derision. It's like the difference between "I think you're wrong," and "You twat, of course you're wrong. Only a fuckwit would think that."

I'm just treating people like they're not fuckwits just because they might be wrong. I happen to strongly believe that most people are fuckwits for completely unrelated reasons ... :wink:

4. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

Kind of a Newbie question, I guess, but is there any way to edit the Sheriff's post to eliminate the words "to some extent"?
    Any help would be appreciated. :grin:

5. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Ah...no...there isn't, you can only edit your own posts or the posts of people who's password you know :smile:.

Fatman, I use the derision to make them more incensed, thus making their argument more emotional for them (at least anger - I think it's funny watching people scramble to cover their own arse, and they completely lose their line of reasoning, therefore I win. It's nothing personal...), while I can still remain relatively objective. Although I never did debating at school, I still think it's a valid technique for making your argument. By insulting people, you put them off-balance.

I'm actually a pretty nice guy. There's no one I hate on the forum. I just love a good debate/argument, and I use whatever technique I can to win/make my point/etc etc etc :smile:. Like I said, it's nothing personal.

Unlike loo, who insults everybody for the hell of it :smile:.

6. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

You do, I hope, realize that my last post was a weak attempt at humor. I didn't really think you could edit other people's posts (OPP).

So, Sheriff, what's your password.

"Nip it! Nip it!!" -- Barney Fife

7. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I hope you don't think fuckwitws of us, especially me :lol:
    and Kane as for his password, try DONUT DUNKEN DONUT.

8. Sheriff Fatman

Jarinor, you have a point. I'd agree (to some extent :grin: ). Just out of interest, how do you know Ioo doesn't think he's doing the same thing?

Feldon, try "kissmyass" if you wanna edit my posts. If it's not working for some strange reason, come back and I'll give you another to try. :p

Jinxed, of course I don't secretly think you're all a bunch of shit-eating, fuckwits who should be rounded up and shot. Only a crazy man would think that, right?

9. pspahn420

pspahn420 New Member

u misunderstood what i meant about that AC line. what i meant was:

ARMOR-- AC 6 (+3)

sure we all know what AC is, what I'm saying is that when something says AC 6 (+3) does it mean that the total AC is 9? or that AC 6 is the total, 3 of that coming from a bonus. It dosen't say in the manual. And okay, you can ASSUME it means that the armor has a base of 6 with bonuses, bringing it higher, but really, how can you be sure? So much in the game just leaves you to assume certain things, and I like to play a game CERTAIN that what I believe is right, by reading it in the book. Trust me, my job used to be dealing with laymans about games. If you're not really experienced with computers or gaming much, then I believe that there would be an incredibly high learning curve for the general population for this game. Now if you were trying to sell a game, wouldn't you want your game have as large a potential demographic as possible? I'd rather sell a game to 60% of the people, rather than 10% of them, those being the rpg/crpg fans. yea theres a bunch of gamers out there that also have maybe just started into rpgs. To them, this game could just be a big hieroglyphic, which is why you need a good rosetta stone.

10. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

Well, I wasn't aiming my AC comment at anyone at all. It just popped into my head as an example. I could as easily have used any abreviation from AD&D -- XP, GP, D12, et cetera. I hope I didn't offend you, pspahn420.
    Nope, Sheriff, it didn't work. :cry: Did you change it or something?
    Well, Jinxed, I've tried most pastries as passwords. KRULLER is next, but, frankly, I'm running out of danish. Any other ideas? :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Feldon Kane on 2001-11-25 05:40 ]</font>

11. Arnica

Arnica New Member

I am playing my second game as a full on mage and have started carrying two magical staff's with me as your spells use the mana from the staff before your own. I carry a few of the fatigue restorers with me for just in case. I think the mages has 50 and magic 40 and mystic has 60 (mana that is). I found this really useful early on when I didn't have a lot of fatigue available. I also found that sometimes it pays to just wait a while and let your fatigue build up again.

To use the spells associated with the staff click on the little button to the left of the hotkeys. That will bring up what's available in the dialogue box on the bottom of the screen. From memory they're fairly basic, the stillwater blade however is a little different. If you have a high enough magical aptitude you get to summon a bunny that is bad!

12. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

The Stillwater Blade is the only weapon I've seen with a spell associated with it so far actually...

I get that icon on other weapons, click it and there's nothing there unfortunately...oh well :smile:.

I really like String Pete's arcane sword though - 1-8 (+16) doesn't sound like much, but it doesn't get damaged from attacking doors/metal objects/etc etc etc...Still, Torian Kel's Ancestral Sword/Kyrrgad's Falchion are better weapons - the falchion does more damage, but strike me down if TK's sword isn't the fastest weapon in the game! Speed of 35! Um, yeah...don't know how I got on to that...I'm very tired...

13. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

tired?...... it's only 3:00 am....... girl :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mrnobodie on 2001-11-25 15:59 ]</font>

14. Gun_Snake

Gun_Snake New Member

Hey, maybe i'm an idiot but, what is Torian Kel's Ancestral Sword, coz i don't have it, though i have torian kel !

15. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

***spoiler***

You have to steal the sword from Cedric Appleby. It's in a chest in his bedroom. How he got it I'll never know.

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Wrong, that's the Sword of the Derian-Ka. It's a pretty good sword as well, nice and fast. The Bane of Kree has Torian Kel's Ancestral Sword. Good luck killing him for it...

17. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, you do.

I've learnt that you now live on this forum hahahahaha :smile:.

19. Arnica

Arnica New Member

Weird, I get the spell option with a couple of the staffs, I know I've used a charm beast with the shaman's staff... don't know about actual weapons though. From what I can work out, apart from the stillwater blade, some of the others will give you mana, but not spells. Maybe the staff's depend on your magical aptitude, but the spells seem fairly low level.

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Actually, Succour Beast is the spell on the Stillwater Blade. It's the second-highest Nature college spell...

Our Host!