need dark elve book already killed libarian....

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by rajin, Nov 19, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rajin

rajin New Member

I have found out now that i need that book to get to caladon. How can I get there without the book? Or how can I continue my quest? I really don't want to start over.

2. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

3. vanderling

vanderling New Member

maybe you'll find another one in ashbury.
    try to talk to the writter

4. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

by the way, khm khm:

Welcome to the forum Rajin!
    0:)

5. rajin

rajin New Member

early in the game i tried to pick pocket the librarian and it failed. she attacked me and I killed her. I also took the book and left it somewhere but I don't remember where I left it/sold it. is there any way that I can get to caladron with out it. i tried walking to it. but the mountains are in the way. i do know that caldaron lies on the eastern side of the mountains south of the elven city.

6. villageidiot

villageidiot New Member

Well first of all, if you're looking down at the map so that north is at the top and south is at the bottom, then Caladon is west of the mountains not east.

Second of all, that's what ya get for running around like a serial killer, killing whoever you want 'just cuz.' You should take into account that you are in a world where a decision you make now might effect you later on, and you may live to regret certain actions.

Third, sorry if I sound like an ass. I guess you're kinda in a pinch huh? I doubt there's another copy of the book just lying around somewhere, so I suggest you start retracing your steps and try and find out what you did with the book, or who you sold it to. And if you sold it, hopefully the shopkeeper will still have it.

Fourth, I realize that you thought you were 'just killing some bitch and taking her books' when you did it, and I find this to be one of many fatal flaws in Arcanum. Doing something like this when it doesn't matter can really mess things up when suddenly it does matter, like for example if you go out and kill Captain Teach, then how can you ever progress the plot again when you need his services? It seems like a bad idea on the programmer's part. This is a non-linear game where the player should be able to do anything, but its things like this that make that untrue. What if I hate librarians and want to destroy all the books? I should be able to without such severe reprocussions (well maybe the Tarantian Guard would have something to say, but that's to be expected.) Hopefully people will learn from their mistakes while making games like this in the future.

Anyway, try and think back to where you went afterwards and, well, good luck finding the book. Sorry about the long post I seem to be in rant mode. Oh well :p

7. villageidiot

villageidiot New Member

Oh, and you don't need the book to get to Caladon, you just need it for the advancement of the plot... and I don't even know if you need it for THAT. It's been a long time since I've played. This is one of those games that I wish had more replay value, but it just doesn't. So if it turns out that you don't really need the book to advance the plot, then forget everything I just said in the above post. :minigun:

8. mrnobodie

mrnobodie New Member

you can get to caladon by walking
    first go to hardins pass at 1288,713
    then south to a bridge at 1580,1009
    and then on to caladon at 1604 1828
    but it's a hell of a walk but at least your there and i don't know if you still get the quest's

9. rajin

rajin New Member

10. Dmonik

Dmonik New Member

There should be one there...
    I know this is a dumb question but...
    are you sure your on the right side.. :grin:

11. rajin

rajin New Member

i went right where you told me the bridge was but it kept saying my path was blocked.
    i even walked up and down the river for a few steps and there was nothing there. i am starting to get frustrated. :sad: i really don't wont to start over. so if anyone else has some ideas i would greatly appreciate it.
    :smile:

12. FluffyLittleRabbit

FluffyLittleRabbit New Member

Your game is not botched, you just need to recall where u last placed the book. From what I know, Main Quest items dont disappear even if u disintegrate someone carrying the item. By killing the libarian you only made the game more difficult. If u cant remember where u placed the book, then Im sorry u need to restart. Scour the whole Arcanum!
    Let me add something: This is what u get for killing innocents! Serve u right :p

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FluffyLittleRabbit on 2001-11-21 06:20 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FluffyLittleRabbit on 2001-11-21 06:21 ]</font>

13. dougkaye

dougkaye New Member

Lost book

Once you've read the book, you really do not need to have it in your inventory.

Also if it is time to go to Caladon, you can get a ship to take you.

14. Dark_Crimson

Dark_Crimson New Member

I think doug is on the right track here, i had read the book much earlier when i first came to Tarant. So to get to Caladon i simply went to the captain of a boat and paid for passage. Hope it works. :smile:

15. pspahn420

pspahn420 New Member

isn't the book u get at the library just a book 'about' the book you really need? i didn't think there was really a purpose for it. the book you want is in ahhhhh nevermind i gotcha. i haven't gotten teleport yet, but i imagine you 'could' teleport there if you had the spell.

Our Host!