Is this right?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grossenschwamm, Mar 22, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Are we too uptight?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Muro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Just about every new face that shows up here is assumed to be HWLFP. I posted a thread asking one such new face to stop digging up old threads, and now I'm convinced he was really Plastic Couch. How can this forum survive if we constantly block out people who might actually contribute some much needed ideological diversity to the forum? Sure, the troll may return. He may be here now. But that doesn't mean we need to bite off everyone's head just in case.
    I've never been a forum moderator before. I still don't really know what my duty is, but I swear I will not use the power I have to silence newcomers without proper indication of malcontent. I don't know.

2. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

He certainly knew a lot about the old VN Board forum - his comment about Stravaig nicknaming him "PC" was spot on.

One thing I don't understand though - why do you guys insist on always sabotaging your own polls?

3. Grossenschwamm

Bad habits are hard to break. It's like potato chips and masturbation, barring allergens to food starch or skin that blisters easily, but then again that's why there's lube.

4. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

Yeah I know what you mean. Everytime I'm eating a bag of potato chips I just can't resist the urge to stick my cock in there.

Wait, what?

5. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I think I'll change everyone's password, and sit here and pretend to be all of you, and talk to myself.

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Muro is to the House what KC is to the Codex.

7. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

Personally, I soldier through the blisters.

It's a difficult albeit insignificant subject. I suggest that the recent trollings have made the community hyper-sensitive to potential trolls, but I'd also venture that the community is largely more welcoming than when I joined.

It may be the case that PlastickCouch was pushed out unnecessarily, but review what he contributed. Determine for yourself if any of it was worthwhile and extrapolate from that the value of anything he may have contributed in the future.

I think the policy of The House should be to be polite to newcomers, withholding the scathing remarks for when they are actually earned.

8. NotDedYet

NotDedYet New Member

What was it you felt he could actually contribute that a particularly investigative Arcanum fan these days could not? It was just a forum, albiet you had closer contact with the designers and staff.

9. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

10. Smuelissimo

Smuelissimo New Member

His posts are actually pretty funny, once he gets past the awkward "trying too hard" honeymoon period.

Not that I would know anything about that.

11. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I don't think we're anywhere near too uptight. We're cautious and that's a good thing.

12. Grossenschwamm

What he could contribute:
    Well I don't rightly know. I wasn't around during his first run, and I assumed after he ejaculated all of his advice on taking drugs to better oneself he'd be pretty normal. I just feel bad that he felt he had to leave.
    I mean, what do I really contribute to the forum anymore? I haven't actively played Arcanum in more than two years, I haven't made any new backgrounds in at least the same amount of time, and I hardly ever have something worthwhile to say in Arcanum Discussion or Hints and Tips.
    I mostly post here because it's something I've grown accustomed to doing, and far be it from me to prevent someone else from having the same familiarity with the forum. I like to come here, and I don't want other people to dislike coming here. There's always something interesting in GD, whether or not it's a thread I've started or a new conversation in a previously written thread (that I also may have started), or something one of you finds titillating. I love how quickly some threads go off topic and I think everyone has the capacity to enjoy how quickly conversations change direction around here.
    Honestly with my more recent psychological episodes I've found my social intercourse with you all has actually helped me, albeit in a different way than my current regimen of daily meds and weekly therapy. Yes, despite my pigheadedness in the past with my addiction to getting high, your advice on the matter along with my personal venting rants, has allowed me to stay safely away from cannabis and the cannabis substitutes sold in head shops.
    Also I thank WB Steamcock for allowing me to see I'm not actually crazy, though he's no longer here to read my gratitude.
    I still have delusions that I'm God, but I recognize that no one will believe that without some proof, and therefore it's easier for me not to believe it.

13. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

I believe you're God, Gross. Or, more precisely, that God is you. Of course, that's true of even a mosquito.

For the record, I consider the sensitivity of the hair-trigger for the steam-powered, spring-loaded, poison-spiked, flame-throwing troll-traps to be just a tad to high.

I hope Plastic Couch stays.

14. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Muro.

Honestly? Who cares?

We're Lords aren't we? And what does the nobility and royalty do? They don't bother with adding new blood, they just keep mingling with themselves and eventually their IQs just go down the toilet. Huzzah!

15. Grossenschwamm

I'm familiar with the Hindu belief of Atman (self) and Brahman (Self). Thing is, I have a voice in my head that tells me to do things to gain my birthright, like "Marry your wife," and "Have a kid." It's so confusing, because I regularly see future events in dreams now, and they've been happening about a month after I dream them. And then there's the maniacal laughter with accompanying jibes of "You'll never have the power," and the stabbing pains in my meninges and my abdomen when I smoke pot, along with a gentle voice telling me I should "Ease up on the grass." If I am, I want to save the world. If I'm not, I don't want this voice telling me to do things.

16. TheDavisChanger

TheDavisChanger Well-Known Member

17. Arthur_Vaapeli

Arthur_Vaapeli New Member

I may be new, but I'm on the path to become a lord!

As for the "xenophobia", yes, I notcied some of the member are really unfriendly to the newcomers, but what the hell. It's none of my business.

18. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

A plumber? What on earth is that?

19. Grossenschwamm

They're those things with huge cracks that fix your toilet.

20. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Mosquitoes also hear voices telling them to mate and breed, and even fears of failure and a sense of omnipotence. Time and consciousness sort of blur back and forwards for everyone... it's the nature of the beast.

It's even the nature of every being to be certain that they alone are the one, true distillation of the all-being. Without an ego, we'd never survive.

The blurring of the edges you describe sound like a warning to lay off the grass, but then you already knew that. :)

Our Host!