weapon for mage

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by bryant1380, Nov 9, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

how exactly should I equip my level 10 elf who only knows heal, halt poison, and harm? (Obviously not enough spells to go into battle with...) I know not to equip tech. weapons, I can't seem to hit crap with the bow, swords maybe? Your thoughts?

2. Milo

Milo New Member

It depends on what your main offense is. If you use spells to deal out damage rather than a weapon, then the best thing to equip would be something like a mage staff or mage dagger, and later on in the game, an arcane staff.

These weapons aren't that good offensively, but they give you "extra" spell points. The arcane staff for example gives you 80 free magic points to use for spells. That means you can use up to 80 fatigue before you start draining your actual fatigue (the blue bar on the right side of the screen). It constantly regenerates, too, so you don't have to worry about the staff running out.

3. bryant1380

bryant1380 New Member

Thank you Milo. Where exactly can you get this Arcane staff? And what of the other Arcane equipment I have heard about?? Are these all very hard to get, very powerful pieces?

4. Milo

Milo New Member

They generally pop up later on in the game. The Gypsy ladies will usually carry a piece or two, again later on in the game. Sometimes you'll find arcane stuff in chests.

Your best bet would probably be a mage staff if you can afford it. I think it gives you about 50 magic points in reserve. Good deal especially early in the game when you're hurting for fatigue, and depending on the Harm spell as your main offense. Check out the magic shops in the bigger cities.

5. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Isn't there a specific lcation for the Arcane Staff.

6. Milo

Milo New Member

It's possible, friend_al, that there's a specific place where you'll always find an arcane staff.

If there is, then I don't know it. I always get them randomly from the gypsy ladies.

7. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I think Gavin said something about it in the other board. It doesn't have a search functionality so its pretty hard to find.

8. Milo

Milo New Member

Aww, dammit. I'd love to know a guaranteed place where I could find an arcane staff.

It's a pain in the ass teleporting back and forth from Caladon to Shrouded Hills to Tarant to Ashbury looking in all the gypsy ladies' inventories hoping to find one.

9. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

10. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

What if you don't have teleport? Then it's an even BIGGER pain in the arse to find one...or any arcane equipment from the gypsy women.

That one in Ashbury is the worst one though. Since when are halfling women wise?

11. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

12. Milo

Milo New Member

Wow, good job, al! Postcount ++, eh?

Do you know what a rhetorical question is? Jarinor was asking one. He knows that already. That's why he SAID IT WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS.

For fuck's sake...

13. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

A rhetorical question is one which is asked when you know the answer - it answers itself essentially.

Kinda hard to explain. They usually teach you that stuff in school. I'm no teacher :smile:.

Although an example would be - What colour is the sky? Everyone knows the sky is blue, the asker of the question knows, it's just to get something obvious out in the open I guess...

If in doubt, research it. You learn something new everyday...why not let this be one of those things?

14. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Yeah, I get and I did learn something from you. I can only hope I can remember the word.

15. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

16. k.Diller

k.Diller New Member

To get a mage staff try any wise woman and advance time to morning as many times as it takes. Check her stock each time. It worked for me in Tarant.

Good luck!

Our Host!