RPG'S....WHAT NEXT???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exhile, Nov 10, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Not at all. JC Denton would kick Lara Croft (JC Denton being the person you play in Deus Ex). Let's not start a JC vs Lara discussion though...

2. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Well first off, Tomb Raider was alot better then Deus because it was just run-around shoot stuff game not pretending to be a smart RPG something new and cool like Deus. If deus was made the same time Tomb raider was, mebe it'd be better. But for today it sucks.

Other thing that really got me is "RPG similiar to Tomb Raider"... Now tomb raider is in no way an RPG, neither is anything similar to it.

3. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Ioo, you are amazing - in a miracle operation kind of way.

Tomb Raider? I don't care when it was made; jumping around a bunch of stone blocks dressed as a girl just isn't fun.

--- Milo

It's a bit of a saga. I went off and played Mechcommander. I finished the campaign that comes with it, but couldn't motivate myself to download more, so lent it to my brother. The MC2 boards are a morgue, btw.

Left without a game, I scratched around for a MMORPG that wasn't just hacking. I found this one called Underlight, which claims to be mainly role-playing, so signed up for it.

Then my ADSL broke last Wednesday, before I got a chance to play. My provider is being a dick (kept me waiting 2 hours last night for an engineer who never showed).

I'm on dial-up right now, and have been considering my options. I WAS thinking Arcanum. Then I read your post about still playing Fallout, and I got a little interested. Then I read all the posts about Deus Ex. I'm gonna try getting a copy of that today, but will play Fallout (2 probably) if I can't.

I HAVE been checking in here every now and then, but just to lurk. You're a bit of stranger yourself these days. Been out in the barn, have you?

4. Calis

Calis Member

Just for the record, I absolutely loved Deus Ex. It's not a pure RPG, but it contains enough in the way of stats, story and world interactivity to keep the RPG fan satisfied. And the sneaking/action part is pretty damn awesome as well. Just play it. You won't be disappointed.

And I can't believe some of you guys are actually comparing Deus Ex to that overrated, boring third-person jumping puzzle slash action game called Tomb Raider.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Calis on 2001-11-10 13:31 ]</font>

5. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Sorry if the I started the whole DE vs TR thing. I never played DE before but I've played TR (and saw the movie). My sister is a TR fanatic. She has all the game, the shirts, etc.

6. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

you may not see me for a while ...

Now you've done it! I went out and bought Deux Ex today, and I'm just about to install it.

While I was there I got Rogue Spear as well, cos my girlfriend says it's good. I bought the standalone mission pack called "Black Thorn"

I reckon I'm in for a night of sneaking an shooting.

*rubs sweaty palms on jeans*

*wipes drool on sleave*

Here goes ...

7. Random

Random New Member

Fallout/Fallout 2
    System Shock 2
    Deus Ex
    Baldurs Gate 1/2

All great RPG's.

And Deus Ex blows Tomb Raider away :smile:

8. Calis

Calis Member

Oh, and I recently came across this gem:

http://www.introversion.co.uk

It's not an RPG though, it's sort of a hacker-sim. It was developed by an independent guy who is selling it himself. I strongly urge you all to at least check out the demo, as this game is insanely addictive.

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Hehehe, sucks to be you :smile:.

10. Saint_Proverbius

Saint_Proverbius New Member

I'd recommend Fallout over Fallout 2 for one simple reason, it's got atmosphere galore over Fallout 2. Fallout 2's bigger, but the quality isn't there. In fact, it's mostly pop culture references which often comes off as childish and stupid.

Fallout took three years to develop, Fallout 2 took 10 months, and it shows.

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I actually quite like Fallout 2. It made some much needed improvements over Fallout (such as the unarmed skill being much better for one!), had a car (no more slow map movement) and more and better weapons.

Also, the reason it took only 10 months to develop was they didn't really have to change much did they? Make the towns, new world map, tweak statistics/perks/traits and they were pretty much done. Fallout had to do all of that from scratch.

12. Ioo

Ioo New Member

They are both worth playing, and I think FO2 is more fun, and lasts longer... But it's definetely a good thing to play Fallout 1 first to get the atmosphere, feeling...and to understand what's going on, because FO2 has got alot of references to what you were supposed to do in FO1... so it confusing if you never play the first one. And the easter eggs are actually alot of fun, maybe they're stupid in many cases, but that's still fun... after all it's just a game. :smile:

13. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

I played through Fallout 1 again recently...good fun...love the situation of having a turbo plasma rifle, 200% energy weapons and a deathclaw eyeing me off...

14. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

I bough my computer for the fallout series, than I wanted to play fallout I finished part 1 in 2 days. Then I played part 2. And since I never really got into part1 I played part 2 just like you played part 1. it was new for me and original with all the atmosphere. and with the bonus that it was 5 times bigger.

15. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

tomb raider was good at the start till part 3
    now it's just boring. I lost my interest in that samy game long time ago. besides lara looks like a monster

16. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Fallout 2 wasn't 5 times bigger...Fallout is pretty big, just pretty quick to go through as well...finished the game at level 14 or so the last time I played it...

My favourite gun would have to be the bozar though, how about you Jinxed?

17. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Bozar all the way! there were just no creatures resistant to those bullets .223!
    especially if you steal them right from the NCR bazar guards other wise be a "made man" and buy the in new reno
    and also the gauss gun. I once finished over 40th level with the sniper perk making me a death machine. And exploring the entire game would reveal it was 5 times bigger. and no freaking time limit. (it really pissed me off in part2)

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

You only got to level 40? Well, that's better than me I suppose...after I wasted Horrigan, I went to New Reno, got the book off the priest (300 skill in everything and 10k experience every time you read it...), then went to Vault City and did the thing on level 3 which got you 20k everytime you used a specific computer - level 99 easy :smile:.

As for buying the bozar, everytime I went to New Reno, I wasted Eldridge, got everything off him :smile:.

19. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Yeah, it's the "hint book" "damn why didn't I find this earlyer?" but after I read it I felt like cheating. So I never read it. To get over level 40 I drove around alot near sanfran and smoked floaters and centaours, for a pitstop hubgologists.

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Ah, I love watching huboligists and press gangs fighting it out at night, then making pinpoint accurate shots to the eyes from the guns maximum range, to mop the survivors :smile:.

Definitely cool.

Our Host!