Dark Elf character: need RP ideas

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by I Know All About Arcanum, Sep 25, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. I Know All About Arcanum

I Know All About Arcanum New Member

So I am making an Elf with "Dark Elf follower" background. I want to RP him as a true follower of the dark elves. How can I roleplay this better?

:thinkof:

2. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Kill everything, be an ass, don't help anyone unless it's for personal gain, Dominate Will.

3. Viktor_Berg

Viktor_Berg New Member

Maybe also:

Charm the Molochean hands you encounter and escape them without fight.

4. I Know All About Arcanum

Thank you Victor that is exactly what I was looking for.

*sigh* come back when you are a gyrados. You are useless to this thread since you obviously have no understanding of roleplaying besides black and white stereotypes.

5. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Surely you knew this as your name implies.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Following that idea, you should either go through one of the chambers in the Black Mountain Clan mines while being invisible or not enter that particular chamber at all.

7. Frigo

Frigo Active Member

Wanna play a drow?

Drow are not chaotic evil unlike their dark goddess Lolth, they at least maintain the pretense of society, even if their hunger for power is their greatest motivation. Power is your first priority, but plan ahead, don't go around killing random people like a madman, only kill for political or personal gain that benefit you or your house and pleases Lolth. Make sure there are no witnesses (left alive) who could undermine your house with their false accusations. You could kill isolated lone elves without gain though, your hatred against those murderers are immense. Political machinations are nice, leave those in charge who are sympathetic to your cause. Power is even nicer, use every opportunity to gain more of it, don't be afraid to backstab those who granted them for further gain.

You could play either a pure mage or a "fighter" (an assassin more precisely), I'm pretty sure playing a priest is out of the question.

Your primary stats are dexterity and perception. Your secondary stats are willpower and intelligence. Dump stats are obviously constitution and charisma, not sure about strength and beauty. Adapt if it is too rigid and interferes with your play.

Recommended backgrounds: Sold your soul to the Spider Queen, Night mage since you can't stand sunlight, Dark sight, you are a drow after all. Unfortunately the description of Dark Elf follower isn't fitting enough for drow.

You should get the entire Phantasm College: Illuminate for dark vision or faerie fire, Flash for those "magical balls of light" I can't remember but wikipedia keeps telling me about, Blur Sight for globes of darkness, and of course Invisibility for extra stealth.
    You could get other magic spells vaguely resembling the skills and abilities of drow: Resist magick for innate magic resistenace, Shield of Protection if you think Blur Sight isn't good enough for globes of darkness, spells from Conveyance for substituting levitation.

If you are playing an assassin be sure to get Prowling, Backstab, Dodge and Melee or Bow. Chemistry for poisons, Pick Locks and Spot & Disarm Traps might be cool as well, but not that important.

If you are playing a mage, avoid using spells drow normally disapprove of, or that could make you fall out of Lolth's favor, like healing or summoning from another plane. Do not worship other gods either. And especially don't use anything resembling Zin-Carla like Charm, Dominate Will, Summon Undead or Create Undead, they are the greatest gifts from Lolth reserved only for those standing highest in her favor. Hmmm, you could only spend a character point on magic if you pleased Lolth with an evil act, and thus received her gift.

For equipment, aside from the standard mage or assassin clothes, get some dark cloak or leather armor, dark gloves, noise-reducing boots, and whatever fits the trope.

Slaves. Get some slaves early on, Virgil and Sogg will do nicely for a while. More powerful and intelligent ones can help achieve your goals, but watch your back, never trust anyone who can challenge your authority. Female drows hold more power, are more impulsive, controlling and abusive, be sure to keep that in mind while handling your slaves.

Others who are more familiar with D&D than me might give you more ideas how to roleplay a drow.

8. I Know All About Arcanum

No wikipedia, I do not want to play a DROW. I want to play a Dark Elf from the Arcanum universe. Come back when you are Oxford English Dictionary.

Please, only post if you are familiar with Arcanum lore. This forum has too many "nimrods"

9. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

You're the nimrod who asked for help in the discussion section. Why are you still here?

10. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Come back when I'm a Gyarados? Why do you keep coming back when you're useless to the forum?

Besides if you know all about arcanum, why are you even bothering asking for help?

11. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

In stylization and functionality, I've found the Dark Elves to be decidedly similar to the Drow from Forgotten Realms. They've a long-standing grudge against everyone, a long-arcing plan to destroy everyone, and a desire for power.

This thread fits in this section. He's asking for help role playing a character, which is a discussion topic, not a "OMG MY GAMEZ R BROKEN!?!" thread.

...and now that I've stood up for HelBokos, I'm now going to go vomit. Pardon me.

12. Grindstone82

Grindstone82 New Member

Dark Elf Druid:

Actually cares not only about magick but about nature, enough to use it to his own ends anyways. Will use Nature magic obviously, but mebbe Mental too (he likes to twist others to his needs). Conveyance would be feasible too if it wasn't for the Unlock spell (what is a druid supposed to unlock?); same goes for Magelock in the Temporal college. Phantasm?

Strength of the Earth, Agility of Fire and Hardened Hands (if it increases unarmed damage of animals, dunno) could be useful too; he induces a frenzy in his animal companions before they attack. A recluse that doesn't hug trees, but solely draws on nature to gain power.

Dark Elf Saboteur:

Might use Prowling and Pickpocketing for infiltration, and for planting cursed items on guards / industrials to take them out slowly. Tech contraptions are prone to melting or overload, so either Fire Magic or Force would be suitable to destroy them. Dodging might be a good idea.
    Temporal is certainly interesting, not only for fleeing / rushing inside, but also for locking himself in to rest / destroy machines leisurely. Phantasm might be considered useful.

Dark Elf Propagandist:

Despite the claim that Dark Elves are sour, uncharismatic types, they need some figureheads to rally the troops. A little makeup (Purity of Water) can help with that first impression and at public speeches. Even with the hit to Charisma, you could take the Persuasion route, otherwise use Charm. A Protection Shield and the Meta college can help keep this character safe during her public appearances. Conveyance is probably the greatest school for this character, as it allows her to disarm a charging assassin, push back unruly crowds, flee the scene or appear on stage out of nowhere, and cross great distances as she travels from gig to gig. Divination is a plus as it allows her to sense the alignment of people around her, size them up and spot hidden assassins.

She directs others to destroy tech apparatures, she doesn't sully her own hands with it.

Dark Elf Scout:

Vitals skills are Prowl and Bow. The powers of Air and Water (Call Fog) are working in his favor, as is his famous "hexth sense" (Divination). Charm and Stun can help him survive close encounters. Unlock can help him get inside fortifications, but he should probably not get caught in melee combat.

Dark Elf Outcast:

Whether her basic good nature singled her out among her kin, or some other inopportune characteristic is hard to say. The only thing safe to say is that the Outcast has learned to survive on her own and without being close to the community of magick users, using skills often shunned by her people to survive.

She is skilled in the art of White Necromancy or skilful healing, and is willing to use it to help her allies. Despite the deep loathing of Elves for all things Orcish, as a loner, you can't be choosy about your companions, so some of these lost souls practice the art of Summoning. Others, who dwell by themselves i.e. in the Morbihan Plains, might turn to the worship of Earth, or even combine these two disciplines. However all of them have grown rugged and tough in this environment, gaining an un-Elvish Constitution, and some are respectable melee fighters. It is not even unheard of Outcasts turning towards the repairing of equipment, even though this pastime is at odds with their magical inclinations.

----

Any of the above characters (except mebbe the Druid) may also be tech/magick neutral, using the tools of their enemies (guns, explosives) against them and even proudly displaying them (i.e. the Temporal gunman/ saboteur)

Our Host!