Tech vs. Magic Items

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Silas, Nov 10, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Silas

Silas New Member

Granted I'm a newbie and I'm not too far into the game (Just met Bates) but it seems to me that there is more magic armor and weaponry for sale than there is tech items. I'm playing a tech character and it seems that there is never any preconstructed tech items for sale, just schematics which I can't yet make!
    Also...does having a higher tech ranking make your tech weapons more effective since having a higher magic ranking increases magic weapons dmg and ac?
    Thanks guys!

2. Milo

Milo New Member

You're right, there's a lot more magic items for sale than tech ones, and the tech items that are for sale are usually base items that you have to make into better things.

Having a high tech aptitude doesn't add anything to your weapons or armor. The best you can hope for is a 0% chance of critical failure due to aptitude, but as far as I can tell it's set to 0 even with no tech aptitude at all. Critical failure chance only goes up if your scale slides toward magic. The only thing that a high technical aptitude is good for is that it makes you more resistant to magic.

The aptitude in specific skills is far more important, since it determines if you're good enough at a discipline to build a found schematic. You can get around this, though, by buying tech manuals to boost your aptitudes.

3. Silas

Silas New Member

So basically, a high tech aptitude means that spells won't..

work against me? Is that just harmful spells, or healing spells too? (Because that would suck.)
    Which reminds me, dude, your sig is sooooo wrong! LOL!

4. Milo

Milo New Member

My sig? It all depends on how you look at it...

Well, the deal with magic not working well... It's sort of like this. You can learn magic and it will work on you, but other people's magic will tend to fizzle on you. For example, if you learned the minor healing spell, or the agility of fire spell, it'll work fine if you cast it on yourself no matter what how tech you are. But if Virgil tries to cast minor healing on you, it'll most likely fizzle.

5. Silas

Silas New Member

Yikes, better find some kadura and ginka then!

nt

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

That's a highly underrated schematic - each one of those babies heals 20 hitpoints. You get 5 for combining the ginka and kadura, so for 25 stone you get 100 hitpoints of guaranteed healing.

7. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

8. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Mastering the herbology discipline is such a waste unless you want to learn those schematics you found through your world map. Jayna has the herbology schematics. You talk to her and tell her you want to make those stuff and there, you've got yourself a Healing Salve / Cure All.

9. Odi

Odi New Member

mage verses tech

I've completed the game using both. The only annoyances with the tech is not having teleport capabilities. Yah, playing as a mage first go around spoiled me. As per being a tech and Virgil's inability to heal/cure me was not much of a problem. I carried 6+ packs of bandaids and 6+ healing salves (plus some fatigue restorers to use on Virgil). Every skill point is important and a charged ring saves a few...:smile:

10. elrat

elrat New Member

elrat

but as a technologist you can use a teleport scroll and not "waste" points on that college

11. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

But no one wants to waste money on Teleport scrolls - a proper technologist wouldn't be caught with teleport scrolls.

12. Roach

Roach New Member

It is easy enough to steal teleport scrolls when required with expert mastery in prowling ang lock picking from the mages. Extra resurrect scrolls come in handy too.

13. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

the exiter scrolls are good especially in the BM mines or any underground

14. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Exiting scrolls are useful, yes...That much I will grant. A real technologist either walks or catches the train/boat to get where he's going...

A real mage teleports (of course) whenever they can.

15. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

What are those scrolls?
    I've never used 'em

16. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

17. Ring lord

Ring lord Member

18. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

The teleport you to the "outside" entrance of a dungeon, or equivalent...

Take the BMC for an example. When finished talking to the dwarf and reading the stone, if you use a Scroll of Exiting, you will be taken back to the outside entrance...

19. elrat

elrat New Member

true true...one of the good things about a technologist is lock picking where you can easily steal scrolls for your convenience or money...since I think magic shops have the most of it! :smile:

even if you're a hardcore techie...once in a while you get tired of walking...having surprise encounters...and levelling up too soon.... :smile:

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

A true adventurer walks! Or uses a suitable alternative method of transportation that relies on the way of physics, not the unreliable way of magick!

Our Host!