Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. tumbleweed

tumbleweed New Member

Hi! Just decided to reinstall this game and discovered your mod (which is fantastic by the way), unfortunately I ran across a problem which could result in me giving up the game again for another few years, hopefully you can help me!
    I decided to help the halfling Yoki from the Plainwicke plantation with his spider problem, he then recommended I head over to the Brookeside plantation to see what was up, after a horrific battle (you meanie) I searched for the people I was sent to search for, I presumed they were dead so I went back to Plainwicke but the quest could not be completed, he was still suggesting I head over to the Brookeside plantation. Is there any way to get around this? I get rather OCD about completing quests.
    I should also mention that many conversation topics in this area loop, people are still warning me about the spiders which have taken over even though the quest regarding the spiders has been completed. The first time I met Yoki he asked how I got past the guard despite that I never ran into a guard, my response also suggested that I had met the guard though I can't remember what it was. When I talked to the lady in the cellar whose name I can't recall, she responded like I had talked to her prior to killing the spiders even though I had not.
    I hope you can help, and thank you for reading!

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Thanks for trying the hack and glad you like it.

OK - As you've found out, the Cattan adventures are nowhere near complete. When it's done, at Brookside you would have found the people trapped by the Vortahm and a clue as to where the creatures had been hiding for the past couple hundred years. In Norleigh, will be the two brothers who need help to retrieve the wealth they were going to use to hire mercenaries.
    One day there will be much more to do - plus getting the necessary flags set for the dialogs at Plainwicke to progress. Until then, the folks at Plainwicke are stuck where they are.

The looping you're getting sounds like a critical flag or two failed to be set properly. Unfortunately there isn't a practical way to force this - so cut your losses and head back to the mainland.

:D

Don't give up just yet. Although it's another unfinished bit of business, I think you'll like what I did with the Iron Clan HQ. Lotsa playtime and a couple nice puzzles.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed New Member

Cheers for the response! I've been holding off playing until I got a reply and it's been torturous! I think I should soldier on and just try to forget about Cattan Isle, I've been getting far too immersed into the game to quit now. Do you think if you decide to create a newer version of this mod (please do!) it will be compatible with the current version and I'll be able to finish this quest?
    Unfortunately I probably won't be able to tell the differences between the new Iron clan and the old one, I can't remember much of this game and I don't think I got very far originally but I'm sure I'll enjoy the quests nonetheless. :)

Oh! Another bug (I think), at some point I talked to Virgil about marking my map and he seems to have marked every unique location including some cave which has under the description "the cave from the map" or something similar, I definitely haven't found any maps with a cave on.

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Continue the build: Probably. I will need to get better equipment than what I currently have and finish what I've got started now (Arcanum Tales).

Compatability: No - The next version will have too many changes for saved games to be usable. Among other things, both Tarant and Brandybuck are getting some remodel work (add the financial district and move the town center respectively), plus the rough-in construction of Norleigh.

The Iron Clan: I won't spoil the quest for you then, except to say that originally it had just two rooms. I gave it a few more.

The Cavern of Madness: I couldn't get the scripting to work right at the time so it wasn't made usable for the 6.0 release. If you go there, you should be able to enter a tiny area. No further adventures though.
    Getting it working is item 12 or 13 on the to-do list for the 7.0 version.

5. light-servant

light-servant New Member

Reporting a few bugs

Encumbrance bug: You can run using waypoints

After you kill the queen on Cattan you can get endless amount of 35 coins.

6. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed New Member

Hello again, I was completing the quests regarding the gnome and his half-ogre son but when I killed his son no one seemed to recognise that I had done anything, I attempted to talk to the elf Prince of Qu'inar, the dwarf prince (forgotten his name) and the manservant (also forgotten his name) but they weren't saying anything new, I also tried to resurrect the gnome but that did not work either. Am I missing something or is this quest merely not working?
    Should I be avoiding "new" areas so that I don't run into quests which cannot be completed or is this problem (if it exists and I haven't just missed something) not so widespread?

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It's an odd problem I'm afraid.
    On page 45, just over a third of the way down, you'll see where VeilOfAbsence had the same thing happen to him.

Avoiding the new areas: No. The fact that the teleport scripts and basic dialogs are working says the Arcanum5.dat is being read by the game engine and the vast majority of the additions should work alright.
    There's still plenty more to see and do that's less global flag dependant.

If and when you decide to try another round with this hack, double-click the Drog'sCleanCache.bat before you make your new character.
    That should improve your chances of a trouble-free game. (I hope)

9. light-servant

light-servant New Member

Reporting more bugs:
    I bought some gloves from the Pawnshop in Tarant, I can't remember their name, but they are supposed to give the user 1000+ carry weight and reduce WP by 2 points. When I put them on they don't do any of those things.

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed New Member

I'll definitely continue playing with your mod, from what I can gather reading other people's posts it's seen as the better mod and I vaguely recall having problems with the unmodified game too so it's not as if I'm going to avoid problems altogether! Though I do hope that if I decide to play this game again in the far future I'll find a modification that will eradicate all the "bugs".
    I wish I had known about DrogsCleanCache.bat prior to starting, I'm probably not going to start a new game though, I'm about to search for a hidden village of elves and it's all so very exciting! I would hate to abandon my little band of people too.
    If it helps, I'll continue to post problems I find, if it's annoying I'll stop. :)

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Keep posting problems - and that goes for everyone.

It looks more and more like I should put together a patch for this until I can resume work on it again.

12. kalduchae

kalduchae New Member

First off... Hi there!
    Just found out about Arcanum having visited a friend some days ago. Apparently, he's been playing it for some years now and encouraged me to try it out as well. After reading quite a bit about the game, I stumbled to this site, specifically, this thread. Now, after a bit more reading, I have a few questions to ask.

- Will Arcanum WIP work fine with the Arcanum that's on GOG.com?

- Is Arcanum WIP a mod that's mostly of the "enriched vanilla game" kind, or the "major changes to the setting" kind?

- My friend mentioned I can create my own custom backgrounds, but the first post of this thread mentions modifications to the backgrounds as well. If I do decide to make my own backgrounds, will it clash with the backgrounds that will be added by Arcanum WIP?

- Is there a mirror from where I can download AWIP 6.0? I'm trying to get it from the original link but the speed seems to slow down terribly and/or times out, resulting in an (in)complete download.

Anyway, that's it so far. Looking forward to trying out the game as a whole, since I only got as far as the haunted mine when I played the game at my friend's place.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

[​IMG]

Welcome to the forum, kalduchae!
    Glad to hear you're willing to give the hack a try. :)

OK - the questions.

1) It should. Although A:WIP was never tested with GoG's version, what they are selling is the stock game, so I don't think there will be a problem.

2) It the "enriched vanilla game" variety. A:WIP adds more areas to explore, more toys to play with, and more side-quests without messing with the main game too much.

3) Quite possibly - as an add-on. There's like 170 backgrounds in the hack already (with the replacement Arcanum5.dat) and the game engine was modified to allow that. Check the existing ones out first and if you're still wanting to create a new one, unpack the Arcanum5.dat into a folder, and rework one of the existing. That would be a little safer than trying to add even more data for the exe to read.

4) Sorry. The old Rapidshare link is gone.

Haunted mine - as in Bessie Toone in Shrouded Hills? If so, all the good stuff is still waiting for you.
    Enjoy!

14. kalduchae

kalduchae New Member

Thanks for both the welcome and the speedy reply.

Alright, guess I'll have to read up on how to work on the .dat and adding a background. Also, no worries on the alternative download I guess. I still got the rest of the day to keep on trying to download the whole mod.

Edit:
    So I finally got everything set up, patched, and running. The character backgrounds are quite interesting, but in the end I still wanted to make my own. So now I'm reading a guide on how to make one, and the directions seem to be just for the vanilla version of the game.

So then, since this is a mod... After tweaking an existing background for my use, do I have to somehow recompile it back into an Arcanum5.dat file, or will the method for vanilla (\rules and \mes folders) be enough?

15. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Just spotted your edit.

The method for vanilla will work, or you could even replace the packed Arcanum5.dat with the unpacked version.
    The latter works great if you plan to make a fair number of changes.

Just remember to double-click the Drog'sCleanCache.bat before testing your changes and this'll force the game to recognize them.

16. Technomancer

Technomancer New Member

Great work rroyo i stand in awe of what you have created.

Although the isle of dispair is confusing me did you alter thorvald so the he no longer comes with you and you must fetch him back via the secret landing at later point. or am i just forgetting a branch or 2 in the conversation.

also the pit acted up a few times either traping me inside or the sounds overlaying each incorectly(battle and normal music, which now that i think about it the pit has differnt ambient music a shouting spectator thing) or not playing (summons and other spells and weapon impacts) :/

anywho on to my suggestions

someone suggested distributing the anti-gravity gems to dungeon locations rather then the pawnshop. I have som ideas in that vein.

1. the well of lost souls we dont always want to play with the helm of infinte evil be nice to have some other neat item in there
    2. in the brandybuck house after purchase. intices the player to actually save up and shell out 50k
    3. merow vortam 3,800 year old demon with out so much as a bent copper irks me
    4. aceraks tomb is another good spot after all thats the place i would expect to find uber loot
    5. Bogoroth is another good one after all since he aint a pushover anymore it should be worth the risk.

and finnaly a pawnshop suggestion
    you could put some 4th and 5th rank tech products in there as it stands now the followers make low end tech items and the very high ends one apper in sufficent numbers in the world to satisfy most needs but things like helmets of vision and explosives and such just plain dont appear with the exception of the 3 grenades in the crash site. i personnaly think it strange that there are only 3 natural grenades in the WORLD likewise one would think helmets of vison would be in demand for guners and archers. as it is the only choice a techer that dosent dive down the smith tree a longish way is to use one of the 2 naturaly found miners helmets

17. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

[​IMG]

Welcome to the forum, Technomancer! - and thank you for your kind words.

About Thorvald: His being a follower did get altered with the UAP repairs, but he should have joined you on the first time around.

The pit acting up suggests the game engine was struggling with something - probably the Arcanum5.dat. This might be the source of the problem with Thorvald.
    Keep your eyes peeled for more pronounced glitches, and if they get too bad, be ready to re-install.

Your suggestions:

The Well of Lost Souls - I'm really not sure what would be a suitable good-guy reward. At any rate, you can always sell the Dark Elven Helm for a nice sum.

The Brandybuck House - I'm not sure what you mean here. After haggling Frigo down to 35,000, force a reason to come up with the extra 15,000?

Merow Vortahm - That quest is hopelessly incomplete. Although there is some loot to be had at Plainwicke, the bulk of the treasure will come later. The campaign will ultimately include a trip through a dwarven mine and a necropolis.

Acerarak's Tomb - I got growled at for having too much treasure there already.

The Bograth - Other than beefing him up a bit, I figured I'd leave him alone. That side-quest was put in to give the PC a few more exp points before heading off for Vendigroth. That's all it was ever meant to be.

The pawnshops: Maybe I've been watching the wrong movies, but I have a hard time imagining high-end tech stuff in a Victorian pawnshop. Based on what I remembered seeing, more often than not, the pawnbroker was little more than the local fence. That's why I added things like the wineglasses and a ton of rings.
    Although I'll pass on adding most of the higher tech stuff, a miner's helmet or two wouldn't be out of place.

Edit: Forgot about the grenades. Towards the bottom of my to-do list is to create another class of merchant - an explosives dealer. There you'll not only be able to find the schematics, but the complete grenades as well.

18. Technomancer

Technomancer New Member

eyeballs peeled for more screwballness
    :eek:

mostly just thoughts as to where to hide them off the top of my orgerish skull(mileage and cleverness vary considerably) on another note

tempter of fate idea to address "buying" uberness

Say you can sell points to start and a difficultish quest grants the exchange power round about the time you go to the isle of despair and buy fate points say after 2 finished mastery quests. say how bout that link his powers to the number of masterys a pc has(if thats even doable)

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I'm not sure I could make that work properly - and consistantly.

What is planned is to make the Tempter accessable only after the PC has been to Vendigroth. That'll let the casual player beef-up some before heading into the Void.

20. Technomancer

Technomancer New Member

Ah that would work well i tended to use my fate points about then to do quests my charcter really had no bussiness doing thief quest as a half-oger for an example.

And i did fiqure out thorvald seems he is a tad more sensitive on the discusion flags then before seems he now has 3 where before he had one. and to boot im also to lowa level to aquire him :lol: oh well back up and do the ancient temple and kree and see if thats sufficent xp if not my support caster with lotsa followers will be forced to leave his butt to rot or wander around the wilderness :/

edit: well further wierdness the staff weilding barb in kree seems to have lost its KOS flag

Our Host!