Arcanum:WIP 6.0 now available

Discussion in 'Module Discussion' started by rroyo, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

To be honest, I'm not sure if it makes a difference.
    When I tried it I already had my version working, so that seems to be a safe way.

2. Drakka

Drakka New Member

Does the HQ townmaps patch work with A:WIP 6.0 as well? Sorry for all the questions :)

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Not a problem.
    The townmaps will work - up to a point. Virtually every town and a couple undergrounds (Uncharted Cave and the Iron Clan HQ) have been modified in some way, so as long as you're willing to make allowences, there should be no problem.

BTW: The High-Quality music patch has also been successfully used with A:WIP. ;)

4. Oracle

Oracle Member

Will you use the HQ townmaps patch be implented in WIP 7.0 ? and what about the remaining of Drogs work?

PS
    Sorry to hear (read) about you house and dog. life can suck at some times. The good thing is you're still around to tell use the story!, Right?

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

1) No I won't. There's already been too many changes to various areas for the maps to be accurate and, unless someone tell me how to create HQ ones via WorldEd, I can't produce correct ones.

2) The last UAP was added about the same time as the new backgrounds. A zipped back-up made it through alright, so we're still good there.
    The extras pack has been in place for a while now.
    The Hi-Rez patch seems to work fine as an optional stand-alone, so I'll leave it be.
    The music - I don't know. Is the tonal quality worth the added weight of including those songs?

3) Thank you - and ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!! :lol:

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

It will depend on who will you ask. I'm always installing the high quality music tracks in my Arcanum no matter what, because yeah, they are a bit nicer, so of course having the two things in one installation would be more comfortable for people such as myself. Yet as long as both things are easily accessible in our download section and the A:WIP won't be causing any problems with the HQ music, there's no problem with them being separate. It's you call.

7. Darkform

Darkform New Member

I'm BACK but Rroyo already knows this for a few days now.

I've been reeding up on topics since I last saw them to catch myself back up while I play thru 1 last time (for this go around) on Fallout 2 before we playing WIP with all the new things and fixes. but as I was instaling a fresh Arcanum I realized it is going to take me DAYS to find my play disk (I already did install from the install disk to the point I need the play disk to finish.)

well opening a new window to the last page of this post I came to ask if the patch OR WIP has a NO-CD hack so I don't actualy have to serch for my play disk and if they do what do people think my chances are of pulling off stoping the install at the need play disk part and from there just installing the patch and WIP and haveing no extra problems because of it.

I'm going to look up a no-cd hack while I wait and see if I can get one then patch and WIP and play because me loseing track of my play disk is getting silly, I have bought Arcanum at least 3 times and the last time I had to do it online because no stores around here sell it anymore AND I don't want to wait a week or more to play a game I bought 3 or more times.

8. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Yes it does.
    You'll still need to finish the standard installation and use the 1.0.7.4 patch, but then you're good to go.

To be brutally honest - Slim to none. I'd bet on none.

9. Darkform

Darkform New Member

well when I quit install the install disk imidiately called for a uninstall of EVERYTHING it did put on so I CAN't half install.

I looked thru 4 pages off goggle looking for installs and only found 1 that said no-CD AND full game but after I downloaded it and unpacted it all it had was the EXE so I'm going to try a file sharere now witch to be honist might not be able to find a copy and if it does will probably take so long to copy that I will have found my play disk already BUT I'm going ahead with trying it just in case the same thing happens with the Arcanum play disk that happend with my Sid Myers Alpha Centary disk when I serched for it for days just to find it and after trying to install it finding out it is to scratched up for the PC to istall properly.

as far as I can duduce by the clues I found where it could have been placed last is that I belive I took it out of my old PC and was trying to put it where I could get to it easy in a week or 2 instead of putting it back in the box BUT I got sidetracked because Fallout 3 came out AND my old BUT better PC died so I switched to my backup PC and started playing Fallout 2 since I caught the Fallout bug agin. well now I'm here and the disk was probably pushed around as I switched my good monitor and other accesorys to my backup PC (so it could very well be scratched and I can even posably find it UNDERNETH one of my PCs.)

update: I tryed my filesarers and it so happens that all of them has had so many problems with people makeing fake programs that they wount let anyone share anything involved with a EXE anymore because to many people have complaind that the filesharer actualy downloaded a viruse with the name of what they wanted insted of what they realy wanted. these past few hors I've been trying to finaggle settings on them to let me get them BUT ether it didn't work OR the other people with the same fileshare utilitys stoped hosting them because they knew that shareing them was no longer supported. there is 1 full arcanum game download in those pages of goggle I didn't even try but that was because it was a CD rip and I would have to serch for a program to run the virtual CD and make my PC think it was running from a CD rom hardwear on my PC instead of a virtual CD rom. I will start that download and goto sleep.

update ok that download was for a torrent and one of my file sharers imidiately grabed it up after I got it, started up and found over 42 other people shareing it. now WHY the couldn't the filesharer find that torrent without me spicificly pointing it's exact code# to it? well it will download in about 2 hours so after I wake up I will find a vitual CD rom to use it OR I might just burn the play disk part to a CD and use my instal disk and the burnt play disk, (this is the first time I actualy downloaded a non music CD so I'm not shure if me burning it to a real CD would let me use it normaly but actualy while serching for a download I came across a comment that the install disk has a protectin on it cheacking if it is the right CD but the only cheak for the play disk is the EXE cheacking if the play disk is in the PC when you try to play a game and NOT to see if it is a ligitament copy when you are actualy instaling. if this is the case and I tryed to copy both disks to CD the instal disk would refuse to install but since I have a REAL working install disk the install will pass that cheack and use the copyed play disk without worying that it's a copy and after installing WIP I woun't even need to use the disk agin till I have to reinstall agin.). (oh because of the protectin on the first disk the sight I got the torrent off of sudgest a vitural CD rom that has sutch and sutch on it to override the install disks security cheack. but like I said that doesn't matter because my install disk actualy works and best of all I know where it is.)

10. Oracle

Oracle Member

Rroyo, I know you said in the past that you arn't going implent the dungeon of souls into your mod won't you reconsider? :D. I would love to see the all stand alone mods incorparated into one playtrough! Like you did with vormat town. I think the dungeon of soul deserves it place into your mod. As a location in arcanums main module I just know more people will play the mod that way.

Ofcourse I have now idea how hard it is to put a location like that into your mod, but please just think about it once again. I for one would really like to take my party into that dungeon.

by the way what are your main ideas for 7.0? I know its far from done, but I'm still curious.

So far I'm really enjoying WIP6.0, You did a good job there Rroyo!

11. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Adding the Lost Dungeon of Souls: I was in the process of adding it earlier this year but - something happened. The mod is cool to play as a stand-alone, but it became really lame once it was incorporated into the hack. I don't know why but it just wasn't fun to play anymore. I kept going right up to the point where you kill the witch, but then I couldn't bring myself to finish it.
    Ultimately, I pulled it back out and deleted my work.

Cleaning up a few things I had going, remodeling Brandybuck and Leahbo, doing the rough-in construction of Norleigh Seahold, Catyr's Port, the financial district in Tarant, and Midway. Basically getting caught-up on everything I had been putting off for a while.
    The most recent back-up that was recovered has most of the building work done (I went on a building spree) but I'll need to rescript the Frigo runaround in Brandybuck again, and add the merchants to the other new areas.

Thank you.

12. Darkform

Darkform New Member

this time playing just a little (about 6 lvls) it semmed ALLOT was diffrent from when I played back in I think 2.2 or so but some of it like graphical overall look could be I bought a new monitor since then and didn't have to set the monitor and game to max brightness and gama just to be able to see myslef while I had a lantern in my hand (that old monator was practicly dead last time I played and didn't work good at all and was VERY dark on normal setting.). but what caught me as odd is I read that you weakend the harm spell and from what I remember in how many times I had to use it and how soon I had to stop do to fatigue was it was hard to use it and do the whole crash sight without the help of ALL the potions from the starting shopkeep BUT this time with 2 con I could actualy do it with just 1 potion used. with this in mind it seems storonger than 2.2 BUT I very well may have chosen to start with 2 in lockpick that time and this tryout I started with just 1 in that skill (more for the free crude lockpicks than anything else since I didn't plan to raise it more till around lvl 16.). but stil I thought it kinda odd since I belive I had 5+ con the last time I played wich would have made my fatigue higher and make me normaly need less potions. but like I said it has been awile and my memory could be faulty. I'm going to start over (mostly because starting at 2 con is a VERY big cutback to a mage char.) this time I will look for a background that ether has a cut to beuty and/or melle throwing firearms and perferably a + in wis or wis + bow and/or int, any thief skills. if I can't find one I don't realy fell like custom makeing a balanced Background right now so I will end up useing the no background option.

I swear tho that Harm ether did less damage in 2.2 or had a higher fatigue cost but it may actualy be that I personaly edited that spell myself the last time I played (it sooo sounds like something I would have done. especaly since I don't remember seeing the low damage high fategue and editing it to more damage or less fategue.). i did have a habit of altering spells and backgrounds and I played for a bit that time around playing so I know I did change a quite a few things to make it fit into my personal gameplay or charictors backstory I developed in my heads normal method of doing things. and my Dark Necros background basicly would mention he prefers to use a crossbow instead of a damage spell when it would be more efective to do so (I substituted throwing a bomerang in the past do to there not being crossbows in game.). with that I may have nerfed the damage spells so that it would be in his best intrest to use his trowing skill more often.

13. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Bingo. All I did was reduce the amount of damage it caused.

14. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Speaking in my new position as Offical AWIP Romance Chick (Gosh, that's really fun to say out loud):

* Progress on Arronax goes pretty well (as in I've written and half-coded three dialogs already). I'm going to try to have options for a.) straight up rolls in the metaphorical hay and b.) the chance to start something a little deeper. For both genders. You know, assuming rroyo doesn't have a heart attack at my lousy attempts at coding!
    * Pre-Planning for Virgil hurtses my little brain, yes it does. There's a LOT to work on there! Good path, evil path, commitment, casual relationship, straight, homosexual...
    * Other character relationships are being discussed. Plotted. Whichever.

15. Oracle

Oracle Member

Hey Rroyo,

I see that Thorvald two stones will leave your party eventually (fix in the Unofficial fix pack) I actually would like to have him in my party forever (20 charisma won't work) what can I do to make this fix undone?

Also should this also be unfixed in your mod Rroyo ?

16. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I answer these in reverse order.

2) No it shouldn't. Thorvald was never meant to be a permanent follower, just a quest-specific one. Now that he's been properly fixed, I'm going to leave him alone.

1) Here's a zip containing Thorvald's original dialog and script files.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/313966734/Thorvald.zip
    Drop them - folders and all - into your Arcanum/data folder, double-click the Drog'sCleanCache.bat, and bring up a save prior to going to IOD.
    That should do it.

17. Oracle

Oracle Member

Thanks a bunch Rroyo! ill test this

when rapidshare lets me though....

18. Charonte

Charonte Member

I'm having trouble getting this going on W7,

Fresh install, UAC disabled, compatibility mode and everything. Installing 1074 followed by AWIP (using link on the first page) will give me all the backgrounds but nothing else. There's no chest at the crash site, no lynchbanny or any other locations. Shop keepers do end up stocking all of their possible items {can't remember if that was an intended feature or not} though. Drog's Clean Cache didn't achieve much either

I know there isn't much you can do for the moment Rroyo, just thought it might be of interest.

19. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I'm definately interested in this info, Charonte.
    Arcanum is an old game created for an obsolete OS. Keeping up with what it will and will not be compatable with is becoming more and more inportant as it could save me and the players a lot of headaches by knowing if there's chance for a working game ahead of time.

Your problem - The game engine is only reading a small portion of the hack, the Arcanum5.dat (the extended inventories - they're an addition), but seems to be ignoring the patch1 file entirely.

Cause unknown. Sorry...

20. Zoya

Zoya New Member

First of all - rroyo, huge, huuuge respect for your strength.

I hate you sooo much. If you find yourself being chased by black rubber duckies wearing crimson bandanas, run. They're my minions.
    If anything goes wrong with Virgil romance... beware... ;P
    No, really, that's what I call the right person in the right place. I just hope Virgil won't turn up as a bdsm pervert. ;) Don't forget about fellow Virgil fangirls' fellings!
    Gay Virgil? Yummy! Especially with a half-orc. :salivates cheerfully:

Our Host!