Fate Points. No can get!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sir Frank, Sep 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

Can not aquire any "FATE" points. Started as a human monk with one quater gold but +1 preception. Am now level 15 but still no fate points. Installed the 1074 patch but no help. Any advice from anyone?

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

3. Archmage Orintil

Archmage Orintil New Member

You get a Fate Point if you join Kerghan? What use is that?

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Using it up during the fights with Arronax, the Bane of Kree, Gorgoth or Kraka-Tur or, if you change your mind, Kerghan himself.

5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

Thank You?

Thanks to all who replied. So there are only around 20 cases where you can gain Fate points? Bummer :-?

6. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    They are powerful, so there shouldn't be too many.

7. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

One Task = 0 point !

Tried one hint that says Magnus and You get a Fate point for killing the Schuylers together. Took him along, killed them, and no fate point! Did the UAP remove that or is my hint list worthless? It's listed as reply #1. Did I miss something? I didn't bring Magnus down until reaching the bottom floor. I fought in his favor.

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, this fate point is an annoying one when it comes to getting it. You don't receive it for killing the Schuylers, nor do you get it for killing them with Magnus in your party, oh no. You get it for firstly agreeing on the deal with the Schuylers and changing your mind when Magnus gets all indignant at it and asks you to fight with them at his side instead.

The game shows that making a "good" decision from the start isn't fate point worthy, yet making the "bad" one and changing your mind afterwards, is. Fate is blind, and stupid.

9. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

Thanks

Thank you. This game keeps getting more and more complicated as I progress. I LOVE IT!!! :) One thing I have discovered is there are multiple paths to take and I see the great replay value of the game. I won't know what I'm doing until the end and then still not know what's going on. Great!
    BTW, the thing with Magnus, I did do the switch in an earlier tryout but didn't check for fate points. Think I was killed :lol:

10. Mesteut

Mesteut New Member

As you get better in the game, you'll find it harder to get killed... Unless you're a dedicated technologist without a proper firearm that is (or equivalently deprived of things that get your character to carry on).

Always a good idea to stock/carry a LOT of fatigue potions or ammo.

11. Narmy

Narmy New Member

Re: Thanks

Agree with you there on all points.

I am currently playing an evil-gunwielding-dwarf and I am loving it. I'm already planning my second playthough and I haven't even finished the game yet.

12. Hawkthorne

Hawkthorne New Member

Is there a way to leave Shrouded Hills without getting at least one fate point?

I'm feeling a little confused.

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Only seven ways that I can think of.
    • Paying Lukan for the key,
    • Stealing the key from Lukan,
    • Destroying the materials for the second brigde for Lukan and getting the key to the gate as a reward,
    • Lockpicking the gate,
    • Casting Unlocking Cantrip on the gate from a distance,
    • Destroying the gate from a distance (for example using the Stone Throw spell),
    • Leaving Shrouded Hills by wandering far south and/or west beyond the town map.
    Say what? The last one doesn't count? No one said it must be leaving Shrouded Hills with the possibility to move on with the main plot, now did he? But OK, if you didn't like it, here a replacement for the seventh option.
    • Getting to know the location of Dernholm or Tarant, wandering back and forth between the Crash Site and Shrouded Hills and leveling up on random encounters - while investing Character Points into Willpower and Conveyance - up to level 15 when you're able to cast Teleport and then, whoosh, teleport to Dernholm/Tarant. OK, no sane person (and only a few insane ones) would ever do that, yet it would work!
    Also, you say "at least", as if it would be possible to have more then one fate point at the time when you leave Shrouded Hills for the very first time, while actually it is not.

14. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    It is, actually.

If you talk Lukan into letting you cross the bridge, you get a fate point. And if you kill him and his goons before they leave, you get another. Something of an exploit, and maybe it's fixed with UAP, but that's what I've always done.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, it's an obvious oversight and I've already fixed it for the next version.

16. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

Spoil sport! Keeping us honest, how good of you :lol:

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Drog's misson is to decimate all Arcanum bugs, both game-screwing and oh-how-yummy-it-is-to-abuse-them ones, without any mercy. Call it lawful neutral, if you will.

18. Sir Frank

Sir Frank New Member

With a new character, tried things out as stated. Still no fate point for this action. Guess I'll give up on this for the FP. Thanks anyway.

19. Grakelin

Grakelin New Member

I actually found this to be the hardest decision in the game to make. On the one hand, Magnus, Virgil, and I had been at eachother's backs for a few adventures by this point (I'd grown an attachment to Magnus because the zombies were too tough for me, and I brought him along to do other quests), but on the other hand, the Schuylers simply hadn't proven themselves to be inherently evil (on the later playthrough, when they murder their doorman, I realized that they probably were. Also, divinity makes it clear that they're evil. I couldn't help but feel that this tarnished the experience a little). So I was trapped between helping Magnus do something I thought was wrong for the sake of his honour and pride, or betraying my friend.

I think this is what they're going for, which is why you get a fate point.

Still, would've been better if it really had been as morally murky as I'd originally thought. Finding out that Magnus was the good guy all along really pissed me off.

20. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

But still you should be allowed to get a fate point if you are on Magnus' side from the very beginning. Such loyalty deserves it as much as a moment of weakness and redeeming yourself, if not more.

I agree on the fact, that the decision was a tough one. Mostly because of Magnus' childish eagerness. What would be wrong with agreeing on the deal with the Schuylers and killing them afterwards? When playing good I would do so - because of loyalty to Marcus, not because of them being evil (I don't consider them evil really. Given aligment isn't a factor, Kerghan has -100, while he's neutral or dare I say, good, but I know hardly anyone agrees on that) - but nooo, Mr Impatient has to ruin everything with giving me an ultimatum at the worst moment possible.

Our Host!