Editing of Character Backgrounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyrant234, Oct 22, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Tyrant234

Tyrant234 New Member

I have recently submitted a faq to gamefaqs on how to edit new characters backgrounds. I am posting it here, in hopes that one of the people that works for terra-arcanum will see it and post it on their site, because I have had no luck in trying to contact them through email. Here it is:

Arcanum
    Of Editing Backgrounds and Schematics
    10/19/01
    Ryan Zielinski
    Version 1.00

This F.A.Q will tell you how to make your OWN backgrounds for a new character. I am currently messing around with the files, and will shortly have more information on how to personalize your game even further. I.E. changing the text for the main menu, changing NPC speech, etc.

This F.A.Q. was written by ‘][‘yran’][‘234 (Ryan Zielinski), and may only be posted at GameFAQs.com, or Terra-arcanum.com unless you have my written consent, email boba1213@cs.com with questions.

Section 1 contains Version information.
    Section 2 Contains information on how to undat Arcanum.
    Section 3 contains the actual information on how to edit Character’s background.
    Section 4 contains the abbreviations for the Abbreviations and miscellaneous symbols.
    Section 5 contains information on changing schematics.
    Section 6 contains legal information.
    Section 7 contains contact information.
    Section 8 contains Credits.

---------------------------------Section 1-----------------------------------

Version 1.0- Preliminary Version, originally in post form, I will fix it up later.
    Version 1.1- Added Section 2, How to undat Arcanum, and started Section 5, making your Own Schematics.

---------------------------------Section 2-----------------------------------

1. Download the undat utility from http://www.terra-arcanum.com/station/do ... undat.zip; extract the files to your Arcanum folder.
    2. Create C:Modding; double click undat.exe in your Arcanum folder
    3. Quickly, push START, go to run, and type in command
    4. IT SHOULD bring up a MSDOS prompt, with C:SierraArcanum> as the first line.
    5. Type in undat arcanum3.dat c:modding

To make your own schematics, follow the same steps, except for step 5, change it to:
    5. Type in undat arcanum4.dat c:modding

---------------------------------Section 3-----------------------------------

Browse to the file: C:Moddingarcanum3mesGameback.mes
    make a copy of that in C:SIERRAArcanumdatames (default, use whatever path Arcanum is. IE if Arcanum is C:program FilesArcanum, place file Gameback.mes in C:program FilesArcanumdatames)

This is where the games background text is stored. Leave it alone for now.

Browse to C:Moddingarcanum3rulesbackgrnd.mes, and copy that file to: C:SIERRAArcanumrules (again default.)

Again, go back to C:Moddingarcanum3rules, find file: effect.mes and copy that to C:SIERRAArcanumrules

These are the files that we will use to edit the backgrounds. First, open up (with wordpad) gameback.mes from C:SIERRAArcanumdatames. Scroll to the bottom of the file, hit enter (to make a line between {1077} and what you are about to type in) and type in

{1077} {TITLE HERE

A space between the {1077} and the background text you are about to type in, then here you would type in the description, ending with a }

Save that file. Move into

C:SIERRAArcanumruleseffect.mes

and open it up. Scroll to the bottom.
    Type in:
    {359}{st -3, wp -3, ch +5, in +5, pe +5} // Put whatever you called the Background here (example of how mine looks, you can do whatever you want to the statistics, and/or skills. If you need to find out what each of the abbreviations are, they are at the top of the message document, and in Section 3 of this document.)

Save the file.

Now, open up C:SIERRAArcanumrulesbackgrnd.mes

Scroll to the bottom.
    See where it says:
    {780}{1076}
    {781}{358}
    Etc.? Well, this is where you put in your numbers, but first you have to make a new set. To do this, all you have to do is add 10 to the first numbers. So,
    {780} Becomes {790}
    {781} Becomes {791}
    Etc.

Now, check your background description file, and find the number of the background description (it will be before the title in {}’s.) Place it in the {}’s to the right of the first line. Now, check the effect.mes file
    (Example of my edit.)

{790}{1077} (Number of background description goes here.)
    {791}{359} (Number of edited stats entry goes here)
    {792}{} (Which classes can use it here, read top of file for more info)
    {793}{0} (How much money you start with.)
    {794}{} (Top of document says something to do with prototype weapons, just leave it blank.)

---------------------------------Section 4-----------------------------------

Abbreviations and miscellaneous symbols.
    (Probably missing a few, email any you find to me, and I will give you credit.)

Any of the skills, IE firearms, repair, etc.

+ add to a skill , stat, maxhp, maxfatigue, resistance, reaction
    - subtract from a skill, stat, maxhp, maxfatigue, resistance, reaction
    * multiply life, reactions, or fatigue. NOTE can ONLY be used with those!
    % must be used with + or – and a number, adds or subtracts a percent of life, heal rate, speed, maxhp, maxfatigue

in = intelligence
    ch = charisma
    st = strength
    cn = constitution
    dx = dexterity
    wp = willpower
    be = beauty
    pe = perception

resistpoison = changes your resistance to poison
    resistelectrical = changes your resistance to electricity
    resistdamage = changes your resistance to damage
    resistfire = changes your resistance to fire

badreactionadj = bad reaction to you, may be used with * - or +
    goodreactionadj = good reaction to you, may be used with * - or +

speed = changes speed
    healrate = changes heal rate
    crithitchance = changes chance to score a critical hit
    critmisschance = changes chance to miss a critical hit
    maxhps = changes max hp value
    maxfatigue = changes max fatigue
    poisonrate = changes the rate at which you resist poison
    maxfollowers = changes your max amount of followers

---------------------------------Section 5-----------------------------------

*NOTE* Still messing around with this, will have more information in a subsequent update.

Browse to file C:Moddingarcanum3messchematic_text.mes
    Copy this file to: C:SIERRAArcanumdatames

Browse to file C:Moddingarcanum3rulesschematic.mes

Copy this file to: C:SierraArcanumdatarules

Browse to file

---------------------------------Section 6-----------------------------------

LEGAL INFO:
    This document Copyright 2001 by Ryan Zielinski. You may not take it and use it in any way shape or form, thank you.

---------------------------------Section 7-----------------------------------

CONTACT INFO:
    I can be reached at Boba1213@cs.com, and will try to get back to all questions, ASAP.

---------------------------------Section 8-----------------------------------

CREDITS:
    Me: For making this F.A.Q.
    Myself: For looking through the files.
    And I: For spending the time to figure out how to change everything.
    Stop being so conceited :p

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tyrant234 on 2001-10-22 02:15 ]</font>

2. com2kid

com2kid New Member

hello, I am teh DOS God.

First off.

In WinNT (and possibly XP) 4 and 2k (no idea if Arcanum even works in NT4, hehe) the command to open the DOS prompt it CMD not command.

The prompt will likely open up to either C: or C:windowssystem (9x) or C:windows (9x)

correct command syntax to get to the modding directory should be (will work in all cases except with funky drive letters or a funky directory tree.)

CD

CD SierraArcanum

3. Tyrant234

Tyrant234 New Member

4. com2kid

com2kid New Member

Heeelllpppp

I am inspired to write a script (don't know how) to go through all of the monsters descriptions and raise all stats by 5

would make the game MUCH more intresting :smile:

BTW: Real men use EDIT. Men with Brass Nads use Edline. Men with 5ft long Penii use Copy Con and have memorized the complete contents of the file for reentry.

Of course Men with Brass Nads and 5ft long Penii use Vi or Emacs

5. Tyrant234

Tyrant234 New Member

Hmmm...

I dont know how you would write a script for it, but I know what file you would need to edit, and it would probably take a very, very long time, if done by hand.

6. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Tyrant, I sent an FAQ there too about customizing portrait but it never got indexed.

7. Tyrant234

Tyrant234 New Member

Maybe...

Maybe it wasn't in the correct format. Keep all the fonts at size 10, and make it in font courier new, maybe he'll post it then.

8. com2kid

com2kid New Member

On the main page there is also a "current backlog is. . . ." message.

Normaly he has 100-200 FAQs up for review.

Estimate how long it would take you to read 200 FAQs of varying length and quality, keep that huge backend database that he has up and running, and maintain the rest of the site as well, double that time, and wait that long before complaining :smile:

9. com2kid

com2kid New Member

You can emulate it with a C64 or AppleII emulator too.

Optionaly the AppleII version of it sells for about $4 on ebay and old AppleII computers with color moniters go for around 20-30 if you want that completly authenic experance.

10. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I know Calis will be hating me for this but...
    Thanks, Tyrant234! You're an angel. 0:)

11. Tyrant234

Tyrant234 New Member

Our Host!