Solve the Caladon Murders - Vincent not there

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Deadman87, Apr 15, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Deadman87

Deadman87 New Member

As the title says, I cannot seem to find vincent in the old parts of the sewers. Now I know he's not there, and for me he never was.

Is this bug a familiar problem or did I do something funny?

Installed the game and patched with 1074 before applying DBT's patch.

If you cannot help me with this, can you help me figure out why I cannot seem to see text in my options menu?

Thanks

2. Jazintha Piper

Jazintha Piper Member

If memory serves me correctly, he's under a house somewhere...

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Have you actually carried out the entire investigation and gone and gotten the Blade of Xerxes? He won't be there if you havn't taken the quest.

4. Sotris

Sotris New Member

Hello! I'm new to the game too- I had started playing it ages ago and given up because of all the bugs, reinstalled it (on my laggy Vista notebook :() when I got the game again in an offer from a magazine here in Greece. I have the same problem too: Vincent the Ripper is not where he should be, and I can't complete the quest. According to the various guides, he's supposed to be standing next to an arcane chest in the Caladon sewers throught the guarded entrance- but he's nowhere to be found. I have the Xerxes blade equipped, and I'm playing with the latest official and unofficial patch installed (in proper sequence).

The funny thing is that the map shows a bed in the location where Vincent is supposed to be. But ingame, you just have the chest and nothing beside it. Weird...

Search function revealed that the problem has occured at least once before, but there was no solution proposed other than reinstalling the game and patches (no indication it worked).

Anyway, I might have to reinstall anyway, since I just got the lv 50 crash as well. Perhaps something went wrong with the order I installed the patches, although I was sure I did it correctly. Now, if I only knew where to find and how to preserve my savefiles... I spent many ours on my techno half elf to dismiss him now.

5. Sotris

Sotris New Member

Hmm. Now that I think about it, I had cleaned up the Caladon sewers (the larger part) before I accepted the murder quest. I couldn't have been at Vincent's location, since it wasn't accessible then, but maybe I walked past it through an adjacent room or corridor and made it visible, and that messed it up somehow. Did you also visit the other sewers before taking the murder quest, Deadman?

6. Deadman87

Deadman87 New Member

I did not. The way you described it, it seems we have the exact same problem though. He was supposed to stand next to that arcane chest, only he didn't.

Frustrating anticlimax.

The only thing I can say that I didn't do was to investigate the second murdersite (dragon something). But as far as I know, there wasn't anything there to help me continue the quest. Only another locked cellar door.

7. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Did you summon the spirit of the first victim?

8. Deadman87

Deadman87 New Member

No :/

I tried following a walkthrough, (after I realised Vincent was not there) and it didn't say anything about summoning the first victims spirit.

Perhaps that would help? But how do I do that? My character is magickally inept if that matters.

9. soviet

soviet New Member

summoning spirits of the victims isn't necessary. as soon as you learn the demon's name from the third crime scene, you can either telegraph to Tarant or visit the demonologist there to trigger the Blade of Xerxes part of the quest, so that should work fine.
    cleaning the regular Caladon sewers doesn't mess up the quest - done that.

did you perhaps discover the Pit of Fire on your own, without talking to the detective and then to the demonologist? that could maybe mess the quest up.

10. Deadman87

Deadman87 New Member

No, I discovered the pit of fire after talking to the demonologist.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Vincent appears after you've seen the demon's name spelled out in blood. That's the only requirement.

12. Sotris

Sotris New Member

I tried it again, and had the same problem. For all I know, I did everything in order:Talk to the police captain, go to the two murder sites, talk to the captain again, go to the third murder site and see the letters, talk to the captain, go to Tarant and talk to the demonologist, get the blade from the Pits of fire, get back to caladon, talk to the officer again and enter the sewers.

Vincent is still gone.

Unless the quest breaks up when you try to do other things in between (for example, I went to Stillwater first to complete the Dodge Master quest, before visiting the Pits), I can't think of anything else I did wrong. Maybe my (and Deadman's) copy are corrupted somehow?

13. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Did you legitimately click on the blood?

14. Sotris

Sotris New Member

I'm pretty sure I did, since it triggered the entire L'anamelah discussion. I'll try again- right now I'm trying to find a way out of the Level 50 crash problem. Reinstalling doesn't seem to work in my case.

15. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I would say wipe all traces of the game from your HD. Sans your saves. Uninstall the game, and then ensure that everything is gone form the folder. Sorry for the butterfingerign I'm typing while staring... elsewhere. Sotris, your issue is interesting. What's your system?

16. Sotris

Sotris New Member

The problem was solved after all, along twith my Lv 50 crash. It was quite simple (and silly), actually: I hadn't noticed that the official patch would be installed in a different path from the default game directory -perhaps that's only a Vista issue, but the truth is it never dawned on me to check. So the patch would go into a different folder, and the game would run without it. I reinstalled the game and patches, making sure the directory was the same, and Vincent was there next time. It also took care of the problem in the Halcyon temple, where you couldn't make the offering. Again, thanks for everyone's valuable help; it's amazing to see this community so active and helpful after all this time. I wish I had come here the first time I tried to play the game... :thumbup:

Our Host!