Figured someone here might know this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorak, Mar 1, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Well, that was the impression I got from being forced to go to church every fucking Sunday till I was 13.

2. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

It's a common misconception. Much of what people perceive to be true of Christianity is complete rubbish. Unfortunately, many of these misconceptions are perpetuated by uneducated laypeople.

3. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    This particular bit is a gripe of mine. What exactly is just with God holding us to His own standards? He possesses perfect knowledge and judgement, we do not. Thus, we are bound to sin by our very design, indeed, perfectly designed to end up in Hades. It's like an adult brutally torturing an infant because it's oblivious to proper table manners.

4. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

But we're not oblivious to sin, we are perfectly aware of our sins, yet we sin anyway.

5. Dark Elf

Media:
    The Bible says that some 4,000 years ago, the platypus crawled down from Mount Ararat and traversed thousands of miles of mud and dead vegetation to reach Australia. I wouldn't be able to accept this as truth even if I wanted to, yet this is a sin and therefore I deserve to be punished until the end of time, or rather forever since there's no end to eternity.

Mysterious ways indeed.

6. Xz

You can't accept it because you've let yourself be manipulated by science.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
    But isn't this part of the problem already? In order to be properly saved, I would have to force myself to believe in things I know can't be true. So all the marsupials went from Ararat to Australia? Why? Isn't it more reasonable to assume that since Australia's been cut off from Eurasia for a helluva long time life there has simply evolved in a different direction?

Granted, I suppose that you could try explaining this from the perspective of biblical "kinds", assume that everything that exists in Australia hails from the master marsupial "kind" which underwent turboevolution once it set foot in Oz, but somehow that makes it even more stupid to me.

8. Xz

God created and placed all of the other animals in Australia.

9. Jungle Japes

When man was created, he was in a perfect sinless state. It wasn't until the serpent (Satan) tempted man that he fell into sin. I don't pretend to know any more of the thought processes of God than what is revealed in scripture, so I couldn't tell you why he gave man free will knowing that things would play out as they did. Nor do I pretend to know how exactly God managed to transport marsupials from Ararat to Australia, but I have faith that he is able to accomplish such things. It would be foolish to credit him with creation of the universe while denying that he has the ability to get an animal from point A to point B.

10. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

And I guess penicillin doesn't cure infections either, that's just god sitting up there saying, "Oh damn, that's my cue!"

Is there any truely convincing scriptue in the bible that says science and religion can't coexist? Science doesn't have to disprove god. Maybe it's just the "blueprint" for how god makes the universe work and it's up to us to discover how and why on our own.

11. magikot

magikot Well-Known Member

Meh, biblically the apocalypse comes with the second coming of Christ which doesn't happen until about the year 28,000. Piscean age (which Jesus is the sun god of) lasts until 2150 when we enter the Aquarian age and a new god takes over. So, enjoy debating this for the next 26 millenia....

12. MatahChuah

MatahChuah Active Member

The scriptures most definitely do not give a timeline of when the Second Coming will be.

13. magikot

No, but astrology does. The year 1 was the start of the piscean age which is when christ was born. the year 2150 is the start of the next great age.

Christ tells his disciples multiple times that he will be with them until the end of the age.

Also, I believe it was Peter who asked where the last passover will be and Jesus responded that they would enter the city and see a man pouring out water (the symbol for aquarius) and there shall they part ways.

Each great year is 2150 years. Traveling backwards through all the Zodiac signs there will be 11 more great years before the start of the next Piscean year. 2150 * 12 = 25800, so my estimate of 28000 was off a few millenia.

Or if you would prefer, the apocalypse will occur when the moon gives birth and a dragon comes to swallow the infant while sweeping the stars from the sky with it's tail. That's according to revelations which is one trippy read.

14. Xz

Of course it does, God made bacteria vulnerable to penicillin.

15. Jungle Japes

God and science can coexist but God, all powerful and unbound by space or time, doesn't always fit into our scientific formulae. Not everything he does has to be explainable by science, because he doesn't have to follow the rules.

And magikot, you aren't looking any less ignorant, trying to put the bible in the context of astrology.

16. Xz

Hell, astrology isn't accepted by religion nor by science, therefore it HAS to be wrong.

17. magikot

Then tell me, most enlightened one, what would look less ignorant to you? You claim god and science can coexist, yet my attempt to do so you condemn as ignorant. You profess faith in the scripture, yet when asked about god you say, in essence, that god is that which no human mind can know for he is unbound by the universe he created. Your entries imply scripture as self-evident, yet your evidence consists of nothing more than negation, not affirmation. So enlighten me.

And as an aside (and to nobody in particular): Isn't it hypocritical for theists to condemn atheists for believing in the big bang theory and all the elements and molecules as just existing already without having been created, but find it perfectly logical for a god to just exist without having been created and vice versa? Both are taken on faith, and neither can be disproved.

18. Xz

Astrology isn't science, you will not find any serious scientist who will support astrology.

19. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

I've evaluated that free will doesn't exist:

http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php ... #post33567

And God is apparently omnipotent, therefore It knows this, and God is apparently just, therefore hell cannot exist, unless God has another reason for hell (such as that the afterlife simply wont work if the evil were mingled with the virtuous, regardless of how unfair that may be, but this is not illustrated in any holy text I know of to my knowledge).

20. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Astrology? Pffffft hahahahahahahahaha! *wipes laughter tears from her eyes* Please. I side with 2 the Ranting Gryphon when it comes to Astrology - don't try pretending that there are only 12 kinds of person out there, it's fucking retarded.

Astrology is so fucked up. It's all about massively sweeping generalisations, yet in my 24 years of life it's never gotten a single damn thing right about me.

Incidentally, if Jesus comes down to Earth today, he'll take one look at the fuck up we've made of this world and the horrible shit we do to each other and he'll leave again.

Our Host!