The Top Hat

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by wayne-scales, Aug 23, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

What is the story with it!? It doesn't show up on your head, but does it make any difference at all?

2. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

I remember once I bought a smoking jacket for the + reaction, but I then bought a pocket clock and a top hat to go with the outfit for the lols.

3. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

You really're incapable of making a response that isn't centered on yourself,'ren't you?

Wayne: Top hats don't show up. To be honest, a good number of items never do.

4. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

-_-

Anyways, yeah like most jewelery, it just waists an inventory spot.

It's only use is for selling, and it exists to give superficial flavor to the game.

5. Spiffy

Spiffy Member

Someone needs to add a reaction modifier to all those useless fancy items.

6. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Yeah, even if it was just like +2. Then it would be worth having some function the game.

7. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    All this time I thought there was a hidden modifier.
    Top hats and the like must fall into the “who cares if it doesn’t do anything, I’m role playing” category. :D

8. wayne-scales

wayne-scales Well-Known Member

Yes, but I thought if that was the case, they'd at least show up! Troika went to the trouble of distinguishing some of the different weapons in the characters hands (pistols and rifles for example), but left a lot of useless crap that doesn't have any sort of function at all. I thought it would at least have some sort of reaction modifier!

9. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    I whole-heartedly agree.
    Perhaps the resident coding wizards are working on just that.

10. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

If only there was a monocle in this game......and an ability to wear two hats at once.

Then I could be even more snooty as I roleplay/roam through Bate's manor killing Servants while shouting "YOU MISSED A SPOT!!!"

11. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I hope you people are aware of the fact that helmets/hats, gauntlets and boots never show up on your character. The characters appearance is generated by a very few things. A shield shows up in the form of a kite shield. Weapons show up based on their weapon type, and armor generates the general appearance of your character. Can you even begin to comprehend how many more sprites Troika would have had to make to enable silly things like top hats to show on your character?

No, it's a roleplaying item as well as an ingredient for a tech-item. It's good enough for me.

12. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Oh, I must have missed that. By all means it is fine, if that is the case.

13. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Just for this I'm putting a character in my mod that won't talk to you unless you're wearing a top hat.

"Who are you?"
    "I'm sorry sir, but as I see it, you are not wearing a hat, therefore I have no interest in talking to you. Good day."
    "..."

14. GarmGarf

GarmGarf New Member

Hehe, I like the idea of it!

You could also impliment a nearby NPC who sighs if you ask about the hat dude, and this NPC explains that he is ill in the head and believes that the memory escapes the head when a top-hat is not worn. No point in having a conversation if you aren't gonna remember it.

Hat dude: "why else can't I remember my dreams?"

Actually, instead of the hat dude revealing that the player must wear a hat to talk to him, you could make it more cryptic, and the hat dude would say something like "your memories! There they fly away; I leave you".

15. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

I don't really care so long as my game continues to run on Vista, which is a lot more than I can say for a few other poor sons a bitches that have visited here before.

16. Packersfan30_3

Packersfan30_3 New Member

Ugh....

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

So... many... corrupted saves!!!

UGH!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you have many corrupted saves??
    lol...i've had too...i even made pic of one(i know where is the location of the shop where you get at the beginning...i know its location on the map lol

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you have many corrupted saves??
    lol...i've had too...i even made pic of one(i know where is the location of the shop where you get at the beginning...i know its location on the map lol

19. papa_dog_1999

Media:
    That does it!!
    Now I'm seeing double.
    I need my cane.
    Where's my rocking chair?
    GET OUTA MY YARD!
    ...lousy kids...

20. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Make him check for nice suit/rustic outfit/smoking jacket as well as a top hat and a pair of nice shoes before engaging conversation. If those items aren't all found, he says something like "I'm sorry sir, but seing that you aren't at all dressed in the fashion of a gentleman, I am going to have to decline your offer of conversation. Good day, sir."

He could be increadibly posh, mentioning something about him not being able to speak with the common masses. After all, he's got a reputation to think about!

Our Host!