Replaying the game as a gunslinger, ideas?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Sargon, Oct 8, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sargon

Sargon New Member

I want to play the game again now using a gunslinging character. Any ideas on background and how to distribute the starting 5 points?

Any ideas on the early game (what to put points in and quests to do) are also welcome.

2. Xtzchild

Xtzchild New Member

well

i think "born by monks" is the best background! it adds you 1 pr but you start with only 100 gold (who cares)!

3. lawson t fuckup

lawson t fuckup New Member

4. Milo

Milo New Member

Since you're going to be boosting Perception to raise your firearms skill, you might as well raise your prowling skill, too.

Then you can snipe people from far away in prowl mode, and they won't know who's attacking them.

5. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

mirecle operation is very good for a tech-gunman

6. Kaldak

Kaldak New Member

how bout raised by wolves.....wolves use guns....right?

7. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

more like elves if thats were your getting at.

8. Kaldak

Kaldak New Member

oh, i wasnt getting at anything. just my random comment for the day

9. Sargon

Sargon New Member

Tried a bit now with a miracle operation guy, he's just slow as hell and has trouble fighting even ailing wolves. Think i'll restart and get a point of melee so i at least can fight a little bit.
    Later on i'll go for firearms, prowling and perhaps some thievery disciplines.

10. Ghost-face

Ghost-face New Member

Try using a half-orc character w/ mad doctor background. You get bonuses to intelligence and perception, and the half-orc bonuses help off-set the background penalties.

11. Sargon

Sargon New Member

A little melee at first and then lots of firearms skill + a fine revolver is ok for me atm. I'm working on building up my thief skills now. Charged rings help wonderfully on my dexterity as well :smile:
    I picked up sogg in shrouded hills as #1 as well so i have a melee toughguy to back me up in hard battles.

I plan to go for looking glass rifle and the heavier guns in the future + more prowling/picklocks.

12. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

finished the game no prob with the miracle operation. Since I could as a thech quicly make charded rings. 2+ dex

13. ktaek

ktaek New Member

Potion of Intellect

Instead of dumping points into INT just so you can buy high levels of Gunsmithy, eat a potion of Intellect. This will give you +10 to you INT and allow you to buy those high Gunsmithy levels. You'll keep the levels when the potion wears off (but your poficiency will also go down). You can always raise your proficiency by buying more potions or buying tech manuals.

14. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

ok, but it's kinda unrealistic having doctorates with 12 int? I did the same but at the end of the game I had lots of CP that I did not use. So I just put 20 in int since then you get 10% to all roles bonus. I could not think to put it in dex or cha or con or even str I had 18 per.

15. Corrado

Corrado New Member

I've had some good success with the two following characters:

#1: Miracle Operation Dwarf; 3 points to Firearms, 1 point to Haggle, 1 point to Gunsmithy

Okay, the good news- he's got 3.5 total points in Firearms to *start*, meaning he'll have a very high chance of hitting anything. A point in Gunsmithy means you can run to the cave north of the crash and pick up the broken Flintlock and the small pipe and, voila! Fine Flintlock (to replace the Old Flintlock you bought with your starting money- all the rest of your money should have gone into bullets).

His high Intelligence, Charisma, and Perception make him wonderful down the road- he can easily pick up followers, learn schematics, and doesn't even need to put an additional point in Perception to become a Master in Firearms (though you'll need Eye Gear).

The bad news- your Strength and Dexterity both suck. Suck *major* rocks. Firing a gun once will take up your turn *and* Fatigue you at the start of the game. A Dex of 4 is pretty miserable. Now, you can put some experience into learning Electical schematics, and once you reach Tarant create some Charged rings- two will bring you back up into the realm of the normal (8 Dex). Still, you'll be kind of slow and *damned* weak- don't expect to wear serious armor for a while.

Also, if you plan on doing the entire Gods quest- as soon as you get to Tarant, take a train to Ashbury. With such a high starting Tech affinity, and all the Tech stuff you want to invest in (Charged Rings, making your own bullets, Firearms, etc.) you'll be shunned from magic markets very early, so you'll want to buy that Totem from the Elven merchant before you hit the point where he won't even speak to you.

#2: Half-Orc Bandit

A much more balanced character, though still with a major flaw.

Being a bandit gives you two advantages- one pointless, and one valuable. The pointless advantage is the gun and bullets you start with. It's about as good as a Fine Revolver, which you can make easily enough (the components are available in the northern cave and in SC), and you could probably buy more bullets with the starting money.

The valuable advantage is +.75 in Firearms, which means being able to become a Master in it with only having put four skill points in it- that means, like the Dwarven Miracle Operation guy, you only need an eventual Perception of 15. Of course, he *starts* with a Perception of 13, while you have one of 8.

But overall, you're better balanced- a good Strength means you can carry stuff, a good Dex means you can get off a couple shots a round without wear- something the DMOCG can't. In addition, you've a bonus +.5 to Dodge and Melee, meaning you can get those skills to Master easier, and have a base competency without having to work at it.

The big drawback is your Charisma- a measly 5. Expect Virgil and Dog to be your only friends for a long while. But Clint Eastwood always rode alone... why can't you?

16. Badtz Maru

Badtz Maru New Member

If you go with the Dwarf template above with low Dexterity, learn that 1st Level Fire Magic spell that increases your Dexterity. It won't hurt your tech aptitude much at all, your lack of magic aptitude doesn't matter since the spell is not variable, and when you have a high Intelligence later you can stack it on yourself several times.

Our Host!