Follower's Reaction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mocker, Oct 6, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Mocker

Mocker New Member

Greetings all:

Does the reaction of your followers decrease as they take damage in the normal course of melee combat? The reaction ofmy followers to me has been steadily decreasing and all I have been doing is fighting.

If this is true, how do you go about fixing it?

ps. I DID do a search of the forum before asking this clearly newb question, so be gentle :smile:

Thank you.

2. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

None of my followers' reaction ever decreased because they suffered or even died in combat (after resurrection it was the same). The reason might be that they don't like what you're doing. Basically you you do evil quests with good followers in your party or vice versa. Don't they say that they don't like what you're doing?

3. Sethmage

Sethmage New Member

Yeah, the funny thing happened. I have this Volinger dude with me and I'm as evil as can get, so after another kill of relatively good guy his reaction drop like 7 points, go figure?

4. Raywind

Raywind New Member

Your follows sometimes drop their reactions to you whenever you attack a monster/person whose alignment is higher than yours, if you haven't attacked you already. An easy way around this is just to command your followers to attack (which they will happily do without losing respect for you). Go figure.

5. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

the famous dropping reaction crap. It is like an old cliche.

7. Ioo

Ioo New Member

8. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

you clould say you behave like a baka

9. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

After reading a post ages ago from someone suggesting hitting your own guys in combat caused a bad reaction, I went on a whole paranoia trip checking after critical fails, etc.

That's not the sort of thing you can do for long and still have a laugh, so I convinced myself hitting them was okay (well, not okay they do yelp a bit, but don't bear a grudge).

THEN, I thought I noticed that their reaction took a dive specifically when I accidently hit Jayna Stiles. I was wondering maybe if this was something about Victorian values (y'know, "I don't mind you walloping me, Sir, but I'll be DAMNED if I stand by while you strike a lady!").

It has occured to me that maybe I imagined the whole Jayna incident, and it's just my paranoia creeping back.

10. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

whenever I hit raven I had to watch her fall apart at soggs pyroaxe since she turned against me saying only she doesn't like me.

11. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Hah, I had alotta NPCs saying theyll kick my ass cuz I did something they didn't like... as a result they weren't mentioned in the endings... never even seen the void. :evil:

12. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

13. Mocker

Mocker New Member

Thanks for the welcome and replies

I went back to a save game, and replayed a while, and it was only during a 'mass combat' in the Black Mountain Mines that their reaction had a tendency to drop towards me. I think my hitting them with failed attacks on enemies may be the answer.

Thank all of you for your help.

14. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

nah I once ran right up to a kite bowman leaving my team behind trying to catch up and shot the kite dead. And as sogg was running he was babling something about not liking me and I checked his reac and it was lower

15. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Haven't you posted several times pointing out that there is a bug with certain types of creatures, including (I think) Kite Bowmen and Tattered Bowmen?

The bug causes your followers to think you're killing an innocent when you kill them. This not only lowers the reaction of your followers, but your alignment moves towards evil as well.

The solution, as you said, is to tell your followers to kill them, which that don't have a problem with :eek:

I think I've worked out why this is: it's because your followers are secretly sadistic buggers. When you kill an innocent they don't like it, because they wanted to kill it themselves :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sheriff Fatman on 2001-10-09 09:55 ]</font>

16. Greebley

Greebley New Member

Critical failures definitely cause followers to dislike you

I was using the sword of the filament (with +20 crit fail) with the character that gets bonuses to chr and beuty, but minuses to her combat. I was getting spectacular fumbles (you know when you get 6 messages scrolling across the screen). Occasionally, I would also get a minus 5 on my players reaction to me. This did not happen all the time (for a while I was reloading the game if I got such a fumble).
    In any case, my solution was to get the dex bonus spell so that I could get melee master (if your int and dex are two low raise your int with a potion). If the dex spell is not up you don't have a 5 rating but you are still a msater and cannot fumble.
    I am also pretty sure that if someone hits you with an area spell and it also hits your followers that this can also make them dislike you which is very annoying.
    Since this has been much worse recently, I am thinking there is definitely a number of times you can "hurt" them (via fumble or area spells cast on you), after which time they get sick of it and lower their reaction by 5 every time they take damage from you.
    Not sure if it ever "wears off" or whether one is doomed forever. Only time will tell. I decided to go for a 20 charisma just in case it is permanant.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Greebley on 2001-10-09 18:08 ]</font>

17. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

Why would you ask that?

18. Milo

Milo New Member

Just fixing the date thingie. Don't mind me.

19. Ioo

Ioo New Member

Our Host!