Autorun

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Tuco, Dec 20, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Hello everyone,

I installed Arcanum on a different computer in my house, in order to avoid an unpleasant graphical glitch occuring in the game. On this 'different', slightly inferior computer, the game runs fine. However, I cannot seem to disable 'always run', which is a little thing that niggles as I play. The problem is this: I enter the options menu, and check the 'Always Run' panel to 'Off'. Returning to the game, I find this has had no effect, and going back to the options menu, I find that the 'Always Run' panel has reset to 'On'. I have also tried modifying this option in the config file, from always run=0 to always run=1 and vice versa, to no avail.

Can anyone offer a solution?

Edit: changed autorun to always run.

2. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Just to let you know you aren't being ignored.
    I don't think anyone has encountered this before so no one has any answers for you.

3. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I've never ran into this problem, but you could try turning off the number lock on your keyboard. That toggles the always run.

4. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Thank you rroyo; the numlock was the problem, and thanks TONGS for the reply.

5. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

6. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Pathetic and graphics

Ok I thought I'd stay in this thread. After sorting out 'always run' I have found that the system does not handle Arcanum very well (runs slow).

So, I would like to try to fix the graphical problem on the 'better' computer. I have played the game before on this computer, without this problem, and this problem only popped up a few weeks ago after a long break from Arcanum. Ahem. I have run a search and the closest I came to a similar situation was this.

All of the objects in the game (as in not tiles or NPCS) leave a 'residue' on the screen when I scroll around. I could post a screenshot, but I don't know how to take screenshots in game nor do I know how to post them on the internet.

My system specifications (for what it's worth) are:
    Pentium 4 2.99 Ghz
    512Mb DDR ram
    Radeon 9800 or something

7. Tuco

Tuco New Member

Throw me a bone here...

(please).

8. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Sounds like something caused by a bugged item. Try running the "repair" option from your install disc, see if it fixes it.

9. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I think I can help with the posting and screen-shots.

There are several free picture hosting places out there - I use Photobucket - http://s123.photobucket.com. Set up an account with one and become familiar with how to upload an image.

Then when you are playing the game and the smearing occurs, push and hold the shift key and depress the Print Scrn/SysRq button once. It's just to the right of F12. Release both. This will capture what's on the screen and hold it in RAM.

Assuming that you are using Windows as your OS, exit the game and start a picture-editing program like Paint. Paint automatically creates a blank canvas on start-up and when you go to edit and click paste, the screen image is then pasted onto the resized canvas. Add any descriptions you would like. Save the picture as a JPG in an easy-to-remember location and exit the program.

Go to your photobucket account and upload the new picture. Once that's accomplished, you'll see two or more lines of code listed with the picture. These are the paths to allow others to see the picture. Select either HTML tag for a clickable link to bring the picture up in a new window or IMG code to paste the picture here.

Return to this forum and post your choice.

10. Tuco

Tuco New Member

wow. (Thanks for the tutorial). I think the image speaks for itself.

[​IMG]

11. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

Aiie, that looks nasty, I'm sorry I can't help you with that, but as for your original posted problem, please check that num lock is not on, if num lock is on you will always run no matter what.

12. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Xz, rroyo already told him that...

13. Xz

Well, in that case I apologize for repeating it.

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Your smearing problem is caused by an incompatibility between the game and your graphics card. One solution is to learn what card your old computer uses and install one on the newer computer.

And that's about as far as my knowledge goes. Sorry.

15. Xz

You could also try installing the newest drivers for the video card on your newer computer.

16. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

I've played Arcanum on a Radeon 9800 and it worked fine (I was using the latest drivers).

17. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I use a GeForce 7800GT and it works just fine for me.

18. Tuco

Tuco New Member

I just updated from catalyst 6.11 to 6.12 - and briefly this seemed to fix the problem. However after restarting the computer and playing again, it was back to it's old self. I have played the game on this computer before with absolutely no problems. This has only appeared in the last few weeks.

19. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

If that's the case I would suggest a nice, healthy reformat of your computer. If it worked before that might solve your problem.

20. a1021

a1021 New Member

You need to turn off anti-aliasing in your graphics-card settings.

Our Host!