What do you do when you're bored?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bunny, Feb 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

Should this poll be related to the topic?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

tongs, i stated in my post that i doubt the hollywood zombie would ever be a reality. and no, i don't find cloning to be useless, i find it to be immoral and inhumane. the problem with brilliant scientists is they never want to think about the repercussions of their work. like the atom bomb. ooh! nuclear power! pretty! ooh... nuclear bomb... our bad.

people are now starting to mess with things they have no understanding of, because of course they want to know more. but there is never a saftey net. so yes, i firmly believe that there will someday be a scientific accident, and there will be some sort of flesh-eating menace. or maybe just a psychotic killing menace. maybe it'll be a disease that reduces us to the world of MadMax. there will be something that will destroy our world as we know it, leaving the survivors to make new lives amidst the rubble. maybe it won't happen in my lifetime. but i'd rather be prepared. so i have the plans for my fortress, i have my day to day escape plans. i stock up on canned food. and i pray that nothing ever happens. but if it does, unbelieving assholes like yourself can sit outside the gates till hell freezes over.

2. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Providing medication and an improved diet to the third world is inhumane? Providing cheap medicine in the West which the poor can actually afford is inhumane? Stopping millions of children from going blind is inhumane?

If a member of your family is dying and the only thing there is to save them is a transgenic pig heart we'll see how righteous you are.

Utter crap. You are getting confused with action films where the bespectacled, grey haired scientist says "But we didn't know! Save us from ourselves Mr Hero!".
    Most scientists think long and hard about what they do. They have to because it is a nightmare to get approval to do anything. A scientist doesn't sit down in his lab and perform his pet projects. The lab, the funding, everything belongs to a company or government who decide what the scientist can and cannot do.

All science can be missused. If you take enough aspirin you will die. Does that mean the scientist who refined salicylic acid is a murderer? He didn't consider his actions? Aspirin overdose is one of the main suicide methods so I guess he must be a serial killer.

Try telling that to the dozens of organisations and independent inspectors that you have to register with before you are even allowed near a lab mouse.

I agree that an engineered plague is probably the new "nuclear threat" but as I said before, it is much more likely to come from terrorists. Or simply a new strain of natural virus / bacteria (SARS, bird flu, AIDS, etc). Scientists don't sit around and say "Gee let's invent a new strain of plague! That'll be such a hoot!".

Unbelieving because I don't structure my life around the scientific bogey man or unbelieving because I don't believe in hell?
    To be quite honest I would rather just die than live my life in a bunker in a shattered world where most of my friends and family are dead. And if there aren't enough terribly smart and forward looking people like you to carry on the species, what do I care? I'll be dead.

3. Bunny

Bunny New Member

But you could clone them.

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

5. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Hmmm... You could be The Mad Scientist! (With a touch of ghoul, of course, since you didn't want to seek shelter in one of the fortresses :p)

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

7. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

"And they shall build their argument on sand
    Quoting the words of men"

Zippy and George's Big Bumper Book of Common Sense, somewhere in chapter one I think.

If you can't come up with facts please don't cloud the issue with random quotes from guys who died over a thousand years ago.

8. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

the Word is fact.

besides which, why are you so upset? are my conspiracy theories harming you or your loved ones in some way? and why do you feel so threatened by "random quotes from guys who died over a thousand years ago"?

9. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Please provide quotes of me being "so upset" as I really have no idea where you got this idea from.
    I simply provided a list of facts which you are unable to refute.
    I would say you are the one who got upset because you called me an asshole. I did not get personal so I don't know why you think I am the one who is upset.

That's your belief. Believing something to be a fact does not make it a fact. It remains a belief.

Once again, please provide evidence. I offered a flippant quote of my own to show that quotes mean nothing if they are simply words people have said. I then politely asked Japes to stick to the facts of the issue. So please explain where I am acting threatened.

10. Jungle Japes

Look buddy, I don't think being an asshole is going to convince Rosie to let you in. I know you must be upset that you and your loved ones are going to turn into mindless zombies feasting on each others flesh, but let's try to remain civil here.

11. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

We'ld let you in if you didn't suck. It's really all your fault.

12. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Wait, you don't let people in if they suck? What am I gonna do then? :cry:

13. Jungle Japes

14. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Your post requests civility yet you start it with "Look buddy". Well done, buddy.

Feel free to point out my incivility. Did you not have time to include quotes are is it simply that you can't support anything you say?

We seem to have very different definitions of being an asshole. Your definition seems to involve stringing facts together in a logical sequence. I apologise if that offends you.

15. Bunny

Bunny New Member

As my brother said, "I don't understand why you call them blowjobs when you actually suck." (Although there a certain blowing involved, but it's not necessary...)
    But well, I'll see to your suggestion, JJ, and I'll rehearse a little bit over here. :)

16. Vyenna

Vyenna New Member

Whats with all the fucking apologizing? Lately I've seen several posts saying "I'm sorry i offended you" or some other sorry-bullshit. Sorry this and sorry that. yaBASS, there's no way you actually meant that, so why include it in the post? And if you did mean it, stop asking people to step on your sorry little ass. Shit, you're in THOL people! Sheesh.

17. Jungle Japes

Tongs, I don't have to support anything I say to a total schmuck like yourself even when I am being serious, and I wasn't. Please refer back to the 'Where do you live?' thread, then do us all a favor and get the hell off the internet.

18. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

I know!

At first it was fun, but now I just don't know what to say ( post).
    Either people are fighting about their political opinions or they are apologising for their posts.

Come on people, you are on a forum, you can say what you want ( while obeying the rules) to whoever you want.

You know that when join forums people may insult you.

It's okay to apologise for saying sth thats not nice, but this is just too much.

19. Stringy Pete

Stringy Pete New Member

Somebody should make a topic "Politics" , and just below another one to post apologises for saying stuff you "didn't mean" - "Diplomatic apologises".

:roll:

20. rosenshyne

rosenshyne New Member

double post again, and i'll reach through the internet and rip your lungs out your ass.

Our Host!