Speed

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by TONGSyaBASS, Feb 27, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Does anyone know the equation for attack speed?
    e.g. Dexterity + Weapon Speed = Attack speed
    I did a few experiments and I can't really relate the numbers.

On a semi-related topic:
    I've never really used turn based (takes far too long) but I was experimenting with it to get values for shots per speed / dexterity. I noticed something strange. If I had a gun that used 8 action points to fire and my character has 10 action points, it would let me fire twice.
    Does this mean I just get the extra 6 points for free? It seems a bit stupid. Surely that makes turn based easier if you are getting free shots like that.

2. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

You're dealt fatigue damage equal to the points you go over. Sucks in the early game.

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

According to the Terra Arcanum,

Speed 1-2 = 8 AP
    Speed 3-5 = 7 AP
    Speed 6-7 = 6 AP
    Speed 8-11 = 5 AP
    Speed 12-14 = 4 AP
    Speed 15-17 = 3 AP
    Speed 18+ = 2 AP

As Blinky said, you pay in fatigue. Not an issue from the mid-game onwards, but while you're weak and low-level it might indeed suck.

4. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

When I saw the fatigue damage I thought it was simply how much fatigue it cost to use a gun (I never use guns either as I can't be bothered constantly buying bullet ingredients). The fatigue damage from using more action points seems pretty stupid. It always cost 2 points. If I go 1 action point over my limit or if I go 20 over the limit, it's always 2 points of fatigue.

To add to the list: 25 = 1AP

The reason I wanted to know about speed is I'm trying to balance some new guns. I wanted Schreck's pistol to only shoot once per round, regardless of dexterity. I found the best way to do this was to set the weapon's speed to -100. I don't want dexterity to affect the use of this weapon for role play reasons. It fires all 6 chambers simultaneously and then it loads automatically. So if you have high dexterity, stick to the hand cannon but at lower dexterities the pistol wins out.

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

You don't buy INGREDIENTS. You buy BULLETS. 240 per day in any general store, 60 per day at most blacksmiths, 180 per day at every gunsmith, I believe.

Why??? You think it's 6 barrels would've had a heavier combined recoil than that of the the Elephant Gun or the Grenade Launcher?

6. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

No, I assure you, I buy ingredients. I don't like buying bullets when I can make them myself but that's not important. I could have listed a dozen reasons why I don't like guns but the point remains; I've never used guns.

I don't really see how recoil and dexterity relate. Surely strength is more important at dealing with the force of recoil? I could be the most agile acrobat on the planet but if I am a weakling that elephant gun is going to knock me backwards.

It loads at a fixed rate because it is automatic. No human involvement. Therefore humans can't affect it with their dexterous loading skills.

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Of course dexterity matters. Arcanum does not have the reload as a separate function, but in reality it would have been a factor. Some people can work the lever of that Clarington rifle or cock the hammer of the Fine Revolver faster, some slower. Same with reloading cartridges. Plus there's the speed and accuracy of movement with which you can bring the weapon back on target. Strength and dexterity play an equal role, more or less.

8. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

Obviously dexterity governs reload time in manual loading guns but who was talking about reloading?

For this gun in particular, even loading times don't matter. As I said, it loads automatically. It's made from an "auto loading mechanism".

I still would say that strength is more important as prevention is better than cure i.e. a firm steady grip is better than firing wildly and then rapidly trying to re-aim. But of course that's an opinion as all this depends on the gun and a million real world variables that can't really be generalised.

9. Gabriel

Gabriel New Member

This formula was discussed on another wasn't it??

Our Host!