Problem with technical manuals

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by CraziLegs, Nov 27, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. CraziLegs

CraziLegs New Member

For some reason if I buy a tech manual I am unable to use it (ie. when I drag it over the hand symbol in my inventory the symbol turns red, signifying an invalid function) . Are there prerequisites before you can use a tech manual? My intelligence is 14 so that can't be a problem? I am wondering whether it is a bug in my game. Anyway, please help as my character is otherwise rather shoddy.

2. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I belive they work the way that if you have them in your inventory, they boost your stats.

3. toller

toller New Member

To use a tech skill you must have a apprentice for the skill then you can read it. i.e. If you want ot make weapons add a skill point to that skill and other books may want more points.

4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Technical manuals are kept in the inventory to boost the technological expertise in the area they deal with. You don't need to use them, their effect is passive.

5. chuft

chuft New Member

Toller as usual is giving wrong information. You do not need apprentice level (or any level) in a discipline to get the boost in aptitude from a technical manual, which is equal to your intelligence, e.g. if you had nothing in Gunsmithy and a 15 Intelligence, and you bought three Gunsmithy manuals and had them in your inventory, you would temporarily have a 45 Aptitude in Gunsmithy for the purposes of using found schematics. If you dropped one manual, your aptitude in Gunsmithy would drop to 30, etc.

6. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

From the description in the Game Manual, I expected to be able to use any found schematic if I had enough intelligence and enough Technical Manuals, but this has not been the case in practice. In my experience, I have found that I must have at least one point in the discipline(s) of the Technical Manuals to be allowed to use the schematic. (Chuft, this would amount to the same as what Toller is saying being true in effect.) This seems contrary to the description of the way the Technical Manuals should work, but even with a pristine game, unmodified except for official patches, I have seen this behavior. Has anyone else had this experience?

7. chuft

chuft New Member

I certainly haven't. My current character has nothing in Gunsmithy, Chemistry or Electricity yet routinely uses manuals to make even the most complex found schematic items using those disciplines. I have made lots of Necromizers, Reanimators, Vivifier, Mechanized Gun, Bronwyck's Gun, Droch's Warbringer, Fortifiers, Flow Disruptors, etc. for my followers.

Our Host!