Yet another Fallout question...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarinor, May 25, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Okay, I anticipate that this question can only be answered completely by a very knowledgeable Fallout player. Yes, I know there's a thread on Fallout already, but I wasn't sure I'd get an answer there.

On the third lair level of the Cathedral, there's a second elevator, behind a locked door and a room full of super mutants. I've killed the mutants, and since I couldn't unlock the door I blew it up with dynamite. My questioin is this - does the elevator go anywhere, and more importantly, can you actually open the damn door? If so, how much dynamite do you need, because my lockpick skill isn't that great...and my lockpicks keep breaking when I try to open the door.

2. Gambit

Gambit New Member

The elevator goes to the fourth level of that vault, where is the atomic computer (controls the nuclear bomb).

And if I remeber correctly those doors can be opened only by lockpicking with electronic lockpicks. If you have 60 or below in lockpick skill, those doors won't open.

3. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, that elevator is the sneaky thief's end-game option. Speech is suicide and combat is well, combat.

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Speech is suicide? You mean the master's suicide?

5. Gambit

Gambit New Member

Yes

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

Duh I know this, but speech can result in the bad ending, some may even call it as the player's suicide.

Funny thing about that is when you take Marcus to a brothel he denies the sterility story. But IIRC, MCA stated in the Fallout bible that mutants are indeed sterile.

7. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

From what I've read at the Codex, MCA fucked the Bible up. In Fallout 2, Marcus is supposed to tell you that the sterility is temporary.

That's pretty cool with the thief's ending though. Took me three sticks of dynamite to blow up that damn door, so I guess I'll be better equipped next time :).

By the way, has anyone found a use for the traps skill in Fallout?

8. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The traps skill was semi-useful in F2 but I found it pretty well useless in Fallout.

Also, for the speech ending to work you also need the holodisk explaining that mutants were indeed sterile. You just give him the holodisk and when he thinks it's a trick just tell him to ask one of his female mutants. It's a rather funny ending and it gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling that you've destroyed his will to live by proving his entire life's work is a failure! :)

Also, it's only the females that are sterile. There is nothing wrong with the males - hence the master didn't know about the sterility; he's never tested a female mutant.

9. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Yeah, I know about the Speech thing...I was only able to persuade the Master this time around (with my crappy speech skill) because I had to reload that damn part so many times because I was trying to keep Tycho and Dogmeat alive (Ian fell in the super mutant room near the elevator, and at that stage I couldn't give a fuck). So, each time, I went through the dialogue, and eventually I got the dialogue options.

Our Host!