Wow this post isn't about post count ranks!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by villageidiot, Nov 19, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. villageidiot

villageidiot New Member

Breaking away from the current trend of post counts, ranks, and private forums, I would like to propose something that might actually matter. I see that we have a FAQ here discussing stuff about the board, but maybe you should put a FAQ up with 'frequently asked questions' by newbies. Every time I look in the forums there is always the same old questions about 'the maze in Tulla, the Ancient Maze with the unreachable sword, where are the gypsies?' etc. [edit: Although, I do enjoy reading the farfetched ones that have been popping up lately like 'Virgil turned into a wall' and 'I killed so-and-so and now I need so-and-so from him, help!' /edit] Maybe somebody should put up a link to questions and answers relating to that kinda thing, and post a notice that says something along the lines of "All newbies, please consort the Arcanum Newbie FAQ before posting questions, as they might already be answered for you." Then whenever somebody posts a question and disregards this, somebody can just tell him 'read the Arcanum Newbie FAQ please,' and end of story. This probably would cut down on the questions asked over and over and over again. I do realze that there is the search feature that you can use to look up topics, but really, how many people have ACTUALLY used this feature before just jumping right in and asking a question, hoping for faster results. I mean, hell, when I started posting here my first question was about how to get back to the Isle of Despair, and then I found out that the question and been asked to death. This isn't some new idea that I just brainstormed, it has been around for a while and many other forums do it. And could somebody please reach the switch on my back and turn off Rant Mode? Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: villageidiot on 2001-11-19 03:37 ]</font>

2. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I actually put those some questions frequently asked as part of an FAQ in my site. Sadly, it'll be down until next month because a lot people visits it. :grin:

3. villageidiot

villageidiot New Member

Yeah... that's pretty gay when you get PUNISHED for having a good site. What is this world coming to?

4. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

naah, probaly only Al mom visits his site, and she's so big, she takes up the whole bandwith. :sad:

5. Milo

Milo New Member

He's not getting punished for having a popular site. He's getting temporarily shut down because he exceeded the monthly bandwidth allowance given to him by a free web space provider.

If he wants more bandwidth, he'll have to pay for it. It isn't free for the providers, so if they're giving it away, you should expect what you paid for (ie nothing).

6. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

So, is this "Virgil into a wall" thing covered ANYWHERE?! I mean, does anyone actually have a fix for it?
    Thank you.
    ::sulking::

7. Calis

Calis Member

A look in the deep, dark kitchen of Terra Arcanum hosting...

Heh, we're not paying anything either (well, unless you consider the standard-size banner ad at the top "payment"... but with the current ad market, I doubt our host even makes enough money off that to cover the bandwidth bills). Then again, we're still waiting for our e-mails to be fixed, a requested subdomain to be created, and the limit on the amount of user accounts to be upped. So it's not really comparable to professional hosting, but hey, it's enough space + unlimited bandwidth for us to play in, and no price to pay (except for the ads). Whee!

The one disadvantage to this is that companies offering hosting to sites like this tend to either go with popup ads or go under in the dot-bomb... our first host (Gamer's Alliance / eUniverse) decided to discontinue their gaming site affiliation program due to the financial loss (ad market crash and all that), our second host (Atomic Rhino) switched to popups and is now RIP it seems. So now we're at number 3. Number 5 if you count guerrilla.nu, the server Monkeypunch made his T-A concept design on, and Legacy Network, a network we were with for about a week but were kicked off from because we were crashing the server. Hehehe, I'm still proud of that.

8. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

what is the limit uf the users?
    2. did you think about Dmonik and my suggestions? Just between you and me I would really like to be part of TA :roll:
    what happened to http://www.vault13.net/?
    the site is not working. downtime or they got shutdown due to the legal shit you wrote on the nesw post?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinxed on 2001-11-23 22:07 ]</font>

9. Calis

Calis Member

Not sure what we're at exactly, but we've almost hit the limit... meaning I can't create any more e-mail/FTP accounts for the server.
    Not really... been caught up in school-related stuff.
    It's not the legal shit, count on that... I just thought it was funny that some guy threatened to sue them. Also it's working fine for me.

10. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

sorry for the crash 'n burn tactic but I guess I'm gonna have to bug you to hell and back about the mod/new forum stuff, untill you say yes or fuck off. I know it's the only way with you admins. to get anything you need to really squeeze hard.

11. Feldon Kane

Feldon Kane New Member

I'm speaking with my lawyers right now...hang on...Oh really? Hmmmm. Oh? Verrrry interesting.
    Hey, Maybe you guys should help Jinxed out. I'm not trying to apply pressure or anything, I'm just saying it might be a good idea if you listened to him.
    Hang on for a sec...Dersh? Gotta put you on hold, dude. Robby? Hold, please. Marcia? Where my money, biotch!? Hold, please.
    Look, guys, I lurked for a day or two to see what this forum was like, and one of the reasons I joined was because of the regulars, like Jinxed. Some people helped me out with my problems. Thanks to Jinxed I quit drinking gin and Arcanum doesn't piss me off as much with all its BUGS. He'd be a fine moderator, so give him a chance, huh?

Seriously.

Our Host!