Whats all this hype with Harm.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Roller, Nov 2, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Roller

Roller New Member

Seriously, this is a pointless spell so far. Im very much regretting of taking it in the beginning. With MA of 45 it takes 3-4 harms to kill one enemy. Now Sogg with AoF and 2 heals can kill entire groups of enemies. Harm deals 12 damage, and Sogg deals 15dmg/15ftg, and AoF doubles that. Thats not even a contest.

This spell deals way to little damage to be of any use. And is single target. Which is ok since its a lvl1 spell. I can see its use when everyone is buffed, enemies are debuffed, noone needs healing and there is still mana left. (Usually means all mobs are dead already) But in this case casting harm will not make any difference anyway. Im lvl8 now and used it maybe like .. 2 times in the game, at the beginning, for fun. But in any serious encounter, forget it.

So whats the "power" of this spell, and why some ppl say its overpowered.

2. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Because once you level up enough to have a large mana reserve you can cast it faster than you can fire arrows or bullets and it costs very little mana to cast especially if you master necromantic black.

Guns and bows are limited by your ammo reserves but the harm spells only limitation is if you knock yourself out.

3. Roller

Roller New Member

Hmm, infinite ammo, once money problems go away, later in the game. Yeah i can see the point. This makes it better than ranged weapons, but melee doesnt require ammo either. And later in the game, with no mana probs, it is possible to cast stasis, or god forbid disintegrate. Again leaving harm only the support role. I guess i just have to advance some more in the game.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Harm is the most useful spell in the game. If you master Black Necromancy, it costs 2 fatigue to cast, and if you have decent Speed you can harm an army to death before they even get to touch you. Spells like Fireflash might inflict more damage, but they do so at a substantial increase in fatigue cost.

I think someone once drew a chart where he pretty much proved that harm was the most cost efficient spell in the entire game.

6. papa_dog_1999

papa_dog_1999 Well-Known Member

Media:
    DE's right. In later levels, with good speed, it's not inconceivable to harm spam a small town off the face of the map without breaking a sweat.

7. Dark Elf

Media:
  8. Roller

Roller New Member

Just tested with a cheater menu. lvl50&MA100. Jolt@2 targets surpasses harm. (30vs 2x19). So does a lvl50 Sogg with his lvl8 equipment.(34dmg) So does Lighting.(53)

Sure it is cost efficient(but not as much as a 3target-jolt), but with mana probs out of the way, why would i want to conserve it. Getting master in force would reduce Lightning to how much? 13mana/cast, in addition to a bunch of other useful spells in that magic school.

It lists Harm doing 3-40 damage. However in the game it always dealt a fixed value, which was i would say 40 with resistances applied. I wonder if its intended...

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Well, with Jolt, enemies have to stand in swinging range, which you might want to avoid. And at 12 fatigue, a mastered Lightning Bolt still only inflicts 49 damage, whereas a mastered Harm does 40 damage at 2 fatigue. Even if you have all the fatigue potions in the world, you need AP to use them.

The fixed damage is probably dependent on MA. Like, Harm does 3 damage at 0 MA and 40 at 100.

10. Roller

Roller New Member

Dark Elf
    Ah, spell dmg is not random, quite handy. Still, in the test, both Harm and Lightning cost me 4 AP to cast, as do other spells, maybe i missed something.. Which makes Lightning deal more damage per AP.

Putrid Walker, "Read aura" lists zero resistances o_O
    Lighting dealt 53 damage, 4 AP
    Harm dealt 30 damage, 4 AP

Tested it on a rat, same result.

edited. A ok, Lightning needs a save, well i guess it evens it. Making harm pretty good spell yes, but overpowered?

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    It's grossly overpowered considering that it's a mere lv1 spell. Compare it to Stone Throw; that's a lv2 spell that inflicts the same average damage at twice the fatigue. That's a rather noticeable difference for the first twenty levels or so. Jolt also drains more fatigue and can only be used when enemies are close enough to kill you. Nothing says early game cakewalk more than harm.

12. Roller

Roller New Member

Hmm, i see Fireflash is partyfriendly. Now THATS crazy. As for Harm.. well to each its own, so far the only overpowered thing i saw was a buffed Sogg. :D But i also play a lowdex char since buffs cost zero APs, once applied.

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Fireflash isn't partyfriendly if you play on Hard difficuly IIRC.

14. Roller

Roller New Member

easy/moderate/hard, Fireflash damage to Putrid Walker 67/45/34. All three partyfriendly in my game.

however yes, i do seem to remember posts here which complained about party mages throwing fireflashes into own party. Which would only be annoying if it was partyunfriendly.. Strange. I have nothing but patch 1074 and UAP with extrapack..

15. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

It isn't. Just tested it. Hard, playing with the UAP.

I was also convinced that it wasn't, but my game says otherwise.

16. Roller

Roller New Member

Fireflash:

AoE: Tgt_Obj_Radius | Tgt_Obj_No_Invulnerable | Tgt_Non_Party_Critters

Pretty limited target selection. I guess removing the last parameter will make it partyunfriendly. Gonna try it now.. nope, no effect..

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Friendly fire with AoE spells and grenades can be easily enabled, but it will piss off your party members forever (reaction drops to 0 and they attack you) if you don't have CH20.

18. Roller

Roller New Member

yeah, just made Fireflash partyunfriendly. Virgil has -1000 reaction.

added:i guess one must additionally adjust NPC behavior.
    added:Hmm, sometimes they stay friendly, sometimes they turn hostile.
    added:There is something which seems to override NPC behavior, sometimes.

19. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

I'd say one of the real benefits of harm is that there is no chance of saving for half damage. You ALWAYS get the base damage.

20. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Yes, and just because a spell has a higher damage per point of fatigue doesn't always mean you're going to get that full range. If you have 50 max fatigue and 1 spell that averages to 5 dmg per shot and costs 10 FP to cast (call it Harm); and another spell that does 11 dmg per shot but costs 20 FP to cast (call it Lightning), you're getting more bang for your buck from Harm since you can cast it more times for higher cumulative damage before having to spend precious AP on Fatigue potions. You could cast Harm 5 times for a total of 25 damage before running out of FP, but you could only cast Lightning 2 times for a total of 22 damage. Plus, you could also spread out the damage more uniformly with Harm on multiple targets to dispatch those enemies already weakened by your party for minimal FP.

Face it, it's Harm ftw all the way through.

Our Host!