Unlimited Followers?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by marlowe, Apr 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. marlowe

marlowe New Member

This topic is in the same vein as my last one (companion issues) but I think it's entirely separate enough a question that a new thread is valid. Tell me if I'm out of line, and I will... edit this post, I suppose? Ya know, or a couple hundred lashings. Or forced mating with an ogre.

Basically, I (charisma 18, Persuasion full ranks but only Expert) somehow have six followers, when my max should be five. I currently have

Virgil
    Magnus
    Chukka
    Sebastian
    Vollinger
    Waroman

I've also got Dog and a Medical Arachnid following me around, but I'm pretty sure they don't count. Now, I have access to all their portraits on my screen, they all respond to all commands (including building stuff) and ship captains recognize them and demand fare for them as well (nine hundred gold total, if I have my Arachnid out).

Here's my question: is this normal? Is this something I don't know about? I've previously been refused by several companion types because I had a full party (Jormund, in recent memory), so I know that, at least at one point, my follower limit was functioning properly. I've also gotten them to wait, and then return, all several times. I'm afraid to ask anyone else to join, for fear of messing up something wonderful. Anyone have any idea what's going on? And if it's simple and obvious, well, I kind of expected that anyways

P.S I just wanted to say thanks for the incredible wealth of info in the responses to my previous question. You guys are ridiculous with it, so rock on.

P.P.S I've been reading the FAQ, and I was wondering if the posts with SheriffFatmann discussing the innerworkings of MMORPGs is still around somewhere. It sounds really interesting, and I'd love to read it.

2. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

You can have as many summoned/mid controlled followers as your int allows, or as many tech followers (arachnids, automatons) as your computer can handle. As long as you can get the parts, you can build more of them. And you can always get the parts.

I'm not sure about calculating the ship fares though, but I suppose it is reasonable, in an odd way, to demand an extra fee for an automaton walking about the ship.

3. Minuos

Minuos New Member

I've never really had such a variety of followers, and tend to keep to similar NPC's to my PC. So it's difficult to say. Unless another of your followers doesn't count against the limit (which I'm unsure of), it'd seem you've encountered some form of bug, be it good or bad. You could try saving to a separate save, calling it 'Test' or something, and see if recruiting other followers is possible. I wouldn't expect that to mess up what you have going, as the game runs from the .exe file's settings the same way every time, and every save has its own data, so it shouldn't do anything on the main save if you change something on a duplicate.

Other than that, are any of your companions currently mind controlled? And are you wearing anything that alters CH or your Max Followers? The Amulet of Leadership, for example.

4. marlowe

marlowe New Member

I'm a techie character, so mind-controlled is out of the question (can you really mind control anyone to be your companion? Because that is kind of sickeningly awesome)

I'm wearing the Jewel of Hebe, because not only am I a thief, I am a greedy thief.

I've gotten a couple blessings, including the Beauty boost from the Love Goddess.

My arachnid was a reward from Maxim, and he is my only technological companion. Dog is also the only other follower I know doesn't count.

My stat sheet says I have a max follower limit of 5.

I don't even know what the Amulet of Leadership is, but seriously if it means I can get even more followers, that is awesome. I'm going to have any army, albeit a buggy one.

I also ran a bunch of tests, with odd results. I can't gather any more companions as is (Perriman Smythe and Jormund both declined). I can tell any of my companions to wait, and they will happily join back up with me (to a maximum of 6, one above my stated allowance) EXCEPT VIRGIL. If I ask Virgil to wait, he will, but will not rejoin until I drop someone else. I tried dropping someone else and then getting Virgil and then asking the dropped follower, but apparently this ends the bug, as I am then capped at 5.

Still, one extra follower ain't nothing to sneeze at. Especially since it seems I can trade a Non-Virgil for someone else (swapped Sebastian for Perriman at one point).

Any explanations for this other than a bug? I am now a persuasion master with charisma 19, but I wasn't when this started (expert/18) and my sheet still says cap of 5.

Addenum: Sebastian is in love with me, (reaction of 115). Would that have anything to do with it? I doubt it, as Perriman felt merely courteous toward me and happily took Sebastians slot, but just in case, thought I should mention it.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interesting. Looks like Virgil joined you as a free follower, for some reason.

What patches do you have installed? Has your Virgil changed to good/evil one yet?

6. marlowe

marlowe New Member

I've got the game itself, the official patch, your unofficial patch (plus HQ Maps, Original Lizard People, and Hi-Res options). Otherwise the game is pure vanilla. I do have several other modules installed, but all of them official or high-tested ones, so I can't see them interfering in some obscure way.

I don't think I have a good or evil Virgil yet; I've only just now discovered the location of T'sen Ang.

Virgil also died last night, and I resurrected him, and he would not re-join, if that's of any interest. I reloaded because I had saved about four seconds before, so I still have my whole crew.

UPDATE: Finally reached the point where Virgil takes off to figure out his deal. At that point, I had just traded Vollinger (what a letdown, he didn't even end up betraying me since I talked down his boss) for Z'an Al'urin. As soon as Virgil left, I went to the Bedokaan Village and dropped off Waroman, since I knew I wanted to pick up Raven.

At Qintarra I got Raven to join me (FOR THE RECORD: to have both her AND Zan Al'urin in your party, you need Persuasion (full/master) and 20 Charisma. Tried it with 19 CHA, no go)

Then I went to the Wheel Clan and got Loghaire to join as well (crazy interesting discussion between Loghaire, Zan, and Magnus [finally pulling his weight] at this point). So. I again have six followers (who actually take up slots)

Magnus
    Loghaire
    Chukka
    Sebastian
    Zan Al'urin
    Raven

plus Dog, still. I'm not looking this gifthorse in the mouth, but dayumn. Also, any info on what the Amulet of Leadership is would be much appreciated.

Our Host!