other engines to make sequal

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by HL1ownsHL2, Jan 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

i have 2 questions, that when answered, will lead to a third question. the third question will, indeed, be about an arcanum sequal

1. does oblivion on PC have a world maker? (i know it doesnt on ps3 or 360)
    2. will FO3 have one?

2. Hans Maulwurf

Hans Maulwurf New Member

1. I think Oblivion does, but I'm not absolutely sure.
    2. Don't know about FO3

3. Phadech

Phadech New Member

1. It has a Developer's Kit but I haven't used it personally, it's supposed to be more complex than WorldEd, and more difficult to use.
    2. Most probably it will.

Let me guess, will your third question be about Bethesda? :p

4. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

Nope. :)

3. Would it be possible to make an arcanum sequal using one of those engines, provided you could round up a team? and would it be hard to put guns and other tech shit from the arcanum universe into one of those creators?

5. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Actually, I'm pretty sure FO3 won't come with a WorldEd.

Everything depends on how much skill, talent, time, determination and insanity you possess.

6. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

hmm ok anyone know a nice 3D RPG that has a worlded?

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Neverwinter Nights is a nice 3d RPG and it has a WorldEd. I can't guarantee you'll be able to create Arcanum out of that though.

Why don't you simply make a mod with the existing Arcanum WorldEd and go from there? Or is 3d the only thing that can get your rocks off?

8. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

And, thus, I point you to this topic.

But the real question is: Can the unique dichotomy of Magic and Technology be established effectively? The speculation I leave to you.

9. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

what i was thinking was making a sequal on an engine for a really famous game, so that it would be accessable to a large amount of people, but you guys helped me realize no other editor would really nail the whole magick vs tech thing...

10. GrimmHatter

GrimmHatter Active Member

Well I probably don't need to remind you (given that you were actually to see a sequal made all the way to a finished, released product) that you're treading on hallowed ground when you bring up Fallout and Arcanum. Look at the debacle that is Fallout 3 with it's fandango fancy 3D graphics and Oblivion physics engine and lifelike textures. The majority of the people that even give a damn this new installment is being made don't give a shit about any of the new bells and whistles. It's the feel and surrounding of the game that matters most to them. You could serve up a shitbone-sandwich-on-rye of a sequal to half of them and they'll greedily devour it as longs as it's top-down, isometric, and turn-based with an intro of Ron Perlman saying "War, war never changes."

Stick with Arcanum's WorldEd. At least with that, all people can do is criticize your story telling and level design skills. They certainly won't complain about the graphics or comabt system which seem to get alot of emphasis these days.

11. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

that was harsh but inspiring. just one more question and ill get started on my project (actually the answer to this question decides wether or not i start a project, not that it will be any good :p)

how many people still actively visit/post on arcanum forums? more than 250 or less? and how many of those would download a mod?

12. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Honestly, HL1ownsHL2?
    Every damned one of us.

We're all pretty enthralled with rroyo's Arcanum WIP mod.

13. HL1ownsHL2

HL1ownsHL2 New Member

Our Host!