Obscure character RP Discussion

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by Zanza, May 8, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

As the name of the Roleplaying thread I would like to get rolling at some time in the very near future has no name at the moment I decided on what would be recognizable. So please everyone let me hear your ideas on how we can get these obscure characters we have been talking about into a story. It will be an open Roleplay thread and as stated before will need a name. So let us discuss the name and what characters we would like as well as what time period we would like to work in.

To get the ball rolling I think a period within a decade before the original Arcanum main storyline.

2. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I like that time frame - basically it's before all the shit goes down, yes? We pretty much have to start in Tarant. I mean, seriously, is there anywhere else in Arcanum where such a disparate group of characters could plausibly meet? Methinks not.

Basic character details: Half-Elf, Magic/Technology neutral, many many healing abilities, no combat or aggressive skills at all, shy as hell.

3. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I like the idea of Tarant, I will need to change some of the biography of Godalming I think, also perhaps his name.

Basic Character Details: Human, Magic/Technology Neutral, very charismatically drunk, smoking jacket, fine revolver, fine shoes.

4. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I'll join in, but I'm still unsure about my character...

Until later, I'll go with this:

Halfling, Magic/Tech neutral, high melee skill, strong as a bull and more eviler than Skelletor. Dressed in nought but his undies.

5. Yuki

Yuki Well-Known Member

Dwarf, heavily inclined mage. Very calm and collected, almost elf like. No dwarven 'short fuse'.

I don't wanna play, I just felt like writing my character into it.

6. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

Abe, the half-orc trickster. Adept at gambling, Conveyance and Divination. Carries a fancy pistol which tends to go off unexpectedly due to the magickal aptitude. A very twitchy fellow, always on a lookout for possible escape routes, always inspecting the pockets of people around him.

7. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Ok so as far as I can tell we only have four (including myself) characters. Will that be enough? I have never done this with you guys before and I must admit my last fan fiction/roleplay was probably when the game first came out and the original Trokia forums were still running.

8. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Trust me, we won't need many people.

As for a way to get everyone together, may I suggest an explosion? Everything's better with explosions.

9. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

Even though this RP thread was inspired by actual memorable Arcanum character builds, is using 'impossible' builds acceptable?

More directly, may i consider a female gnome character?

Cheers,
    Sky

10. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

ooooo... The legendary female dwarves, I don't mind, however will it really do that much damage to the Arcanum Lore as such? I would be interested in your description, remember males get very defensive about their women.

11. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

A female dwarf could be a really interesting character! As for me, i'm actually interested in portraying a female gnome. They seem to be most numerous in Tarant, or at least that's the impression i have.

I'm merging a couple offbeat characters i've played in-game into a single new one for this thread. What do other participants think?

12. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Oh wow cannot believe I mistook gnome for dwarf, made quite the fool of myself there. I am all for a female gnome.

13. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

Female gnome? Bring it ON! Maybe she can keep the guys from completely ovewhelming milady shyness.

14. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

Female gnome, no discernible magick/tech aura. She can often be found in the evenings at the card tables at Grant's Tavern or, on special occasions, the Wellington Gentlemen's Club. She dresses finely but eccentrically, usually having her outfits tailored after men's fashions.

Until recently, she was rarely seen without the company of a particular tall, dark half-orc who seemed to serve as her bodyguard and debt collector. The half-orc hasn't been seen for nearly a month.

15. The_Bob

The_Bob Administrator Staff Member

16. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

Oh sorry I forgot to give out the message, got a lot of essays due in the next two weeks for uni so my involvement will be little. I am more than happy to pass the reins onto someone else and contribute from there otherwise it will take a couple of weeks for me to get back on track.

17. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

I'm game to join, if you need an additional person... though I'm a terrible role player.

*wanders off to re-read Elf Only Inn*

18. Xiao_Caity

Xiao_Caity New Member

I'd take over, but I'm in the same boat as Zanza - absolutely bloody SWAMPED.

19. Skyfish

Skyfish New Member

Some people play games to win, though i imagine most people here play to have fun. All games, and freeform roleplaying games in particular, hinge on social contract. With that in mind, perhaps we should try to all get on the same page?

1) What kind of experiences are we aiming for? Possibilities include:
    - crime mystery
    - armed conflict (running the gamut from mugging to peasant revolt!)
    - conspiracy
    - socializing
    - verbal conflict (e.g. speech or debate)
    - infiltration/extraction
    - chase/escape
    - research, including expeditions
    - economics, e.g. acquiring supplies or goods for use or resale

2) What themes do we want to explore through our characters' interaction with the world of Arcanum? Some ideas are:
    - friendship, rivalry, trust, betrayal, forgiveness, revenge/revanche
    - servitude (including labor issues)
    - progress and conservatism (i.e. Technology and Magick)
    - glory, honor, shame
    - love, romance, abuse, bitterness
    - acceptance, discrimination, equality, equity
    - needs and wants (including thievery)
    - government, governed, rights, freedoms
    - conflict at the personal level (with the self or with other individuals)
    - etc.

3) What are some ideas for goings-on which may serve to color the background, or perhaps as a central plot hook? Examples off the cuff:
    - APPLEBY TO GIVE DEMONSTRATION, inventor claims breakthrough
    - DRAGON EXHIBIT CLOSED TO PUBLIC, officials cite health concerns
    - NEW REGULATIONS SPARK CONTROVERSY, mages denounce 'mortifying' caboose law

So -- what do you think?

Sky

20. Arthgon

Arthgon Well-Known Member

You missed the possibility of:

- Horror mystery

- Gang war

- World War.

Our Host!