Get them to like me...really like me

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Kombat18, Jul 25, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Kombat18

Kombat18 New Member

ok so i started out with virgil from the crash site n everythin was fine and dandy and then read that the only way to be strong in the demo is to walk arun n kill critters in random encounters...so why is virgil hating me for it...he was a 66(courteous) which was the max i could get him and now he is a 33 (suspicious) n threatening to walk out on me which if fine except tt he is saving me a ton on healing supplies. i have no scars n beauty n charisma of 9. it all happened after i hit level 30. now i am 34 n he is 31 so i how do i get his reaction up again...or is this all just normal jealousy

Hear Hear

Combat18

2. ArchAngel

ArchAngel New Member

Did you do anything out of the ordinary(i.e. kill townsppl, become evil, or maybe not get the letter in the inn?)?

3. Kombat18

Kombat18 New Member

no i did not kill anyone at shrouded hills

furthermore my alignment is not a prob its on the plus side but his varies from good to evil once i saw his alignment was 35 then -7 is this the reason? only thing out of the ordinary was i accidently attacked him once while trying to bash open a locked chest but that only dropped him from courteous to neutral and stayed there for awhile. seriously do u think npcs get sick of fighting all the time thus explaining this phenom? oh yeah i got the letter as well and by the way this is the same with sogg but who gives a dit to a drunk half-wit half-ogre

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Combat18 on 2001-07-26 04:53 ]</font>

4. ArchAngel

ArchAngel New Member

For me Virgils allingnments nvr changed with me... are you sure you're not checking your own alignment?

Also I just rememberd that on the dialog menu theres an option to make Virgil like you more after he reaches below neut. Click(left) him and then go to the "I'd like to ask you some questions" menu. From there go to "you seem unhappy with me" menu. After that stick with the top dialog options and you should be home free. Repeat when needed.

5. Kombat18

Kombat18 New Member

thks man

thks for the help enzo i got him to neutral again but that is abt as much as i could go...abt the alignment i think it is because of the dread armor cus when i gave him my armor his alignment changed to positive...or it could be a coincidence
    furthermore could it be that his reaction went down because he was evil n i was good.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Combat18 on 2001-07-29 02:08 ]</font>

6. ArchAngel

ArchAngel New Member

7. Kombat18

Kombat18 New Member

the one that the blacksmith llyod has after u get for him the iron ore or thats when i first bought it.

8. xavier

xavier New Member

the dread armour has a reaction modifier of -20 I believe. Not sure, it's been a while since I last played, but this affect both the NPCs and the townspeople. Dont use it :wink:

9. Kombat18

Kombat18 New Member

thanx xavier

that explains a lot man thanx

10. Skorpios

Skorpios New Member

Clothes maketh the man

Arcanum is unique as far as I know in that your clothing can affect how NPCs react to you. So, wander into the shop wearing bloodspattered armour that reeks of evil and not surprisingly the shopkeeper is a little nervous of your presence.

Arcanum actually has 'powerarmour for diplomats', snazzy suits and glamourous gowns which actually IMPROVE NPC reactions to you. So, the important thing to remember is to dress appropriately - formalwear for social functions, dread armour for wading through the entrails of your enemies. Easy!

11. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

Soudns like we would need another inventory to put our clothes. I wonder if you are able to by a suitcase.

/PeeCee

12. Kombat18

Kombat18 New Member

suitcase thats a good idea

one thing that bugs me about arcanum is the storage facility....i mean there should be bags in which to store all kadura stems and ginka roots (which is my main source of income)or to store that iron ore in liitle bags.

13. Skorpios

Skorpios New Member

Choices

The central theme of Arcanum is that you have to make choices. Magick or Tech, Good or Evil, Smart or Stupid. Those are some of the basic ones but there are many more. This theme continues in the inventory system - you don't have an infinite amount of space so you have to choose your items carefully.

You can be a packrat but you have to pay the price of encumbrance and little extra room for loot. Having too many containers would cheapen those choices.

The designers have been listening to the fans/beta testers, as they did include the key ring so that all keys can be collected in one place. Ammo and gold stack as well. I don't think the situation is as bad as you say.

Travelling the world of Arcanum with say two alternative sets of clothes doesn't sound too outrageous - right? How many clothes do you pack when you travel?

This is what excites me about Arcanum - despite being set in a 'fantasy' world the game world is grounded in 'realism' without restricting the fun level of playing.

Enjoy the richness of inventory items in Arcanum, but also realise you can't have it all - just like spells, skills, technologies etc.

14. PeeCee

PeeCee New Member

I know what you mean, scorpios.

I have been playing mostly as a techie in the demo, and at some point I have had my, virgil and soggs inventory filled with healing lotions. But I figured that I would only need about 10 for every worldmap travel. I have noticed tho that more and more rpg's are adding these little extra containers. Spellbox in Diablo as well as this magical box. There are other games, but I don't remeber them now.

/PeeCee

15. Hades

Hades New Member

So here is what I know... once (after allot of time in the "woods") Virgil started complaining that he does not like running around killing wolfs and (especially) putting his life at risk for no reason... The truth is that I really took my time going around killing creatures (for XP).

Another thing is that I did some nasty stuff (killed the guy guarding the steam engine) and he vent something like a-couple-of-hundred negative towards me... :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hades on 2001-08-09 06:58 ]</font>

16. Kombat18

Kombat18 New Member

well finally someone with a similar predictament...well i got the part about the wolves and all but didnt get that about killing the dwarf guarding the steam engine ...come to think of it virgil started attacking first.
    well heres the question... iknow that the negative your alignment is the reaction modifier or how ppl see you decreases...rite?
    but will it work in the opposite cos virgil is a -7 and i am a +64 in alignment so would that explain why he is not happy with me?

17. Hades

Hades New Member

sorry, but I dont know that one...

18. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

How did you get Virgil to become -7 and you by +64?

19. Kombat18

Kombat18 New Member

i hav got no idea

well he has always been -7 and i went up in my alignment thats how

20. sgc_meltdown

sgc_meltdown New Member

Our Host!