Caltrops

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by The Caltrop, Nov 15, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. The Caltrop

The Caltrop New Member

As my name suggests- I am a HUGE fan of the caltrop, and other forms of quick-fix battlefield obsticles. And, I suppose I would like to see caltrops implemented into the game. I suppose they would be a cross between a thrown weapon, and a trap. You could strew a bunch along the ground to slow pursuing enemies, or, throw it at them (I don't know how historically accurate the throwing part is...) and if you missed, it would fall to the ground, and still be dangerous. Any ideas? Comments? Questions? Recommendations? I love to hear from you! SO POST!

2. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Yeah, caltrops would be nice. Would at least be something I would have a mind using, I just don't like those annoying bear traps.

3. 1111

1111 New Member

4. Dark Elf

Media:
  5. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

That was me :) I was testing how the avatars work. :)

6. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Why in this particular forum? Just curiosity.

7. Langolier

Langolier Member

Can anyone explain to me what a 'Caltrop' is? It sounds nice though. I'm sure they would be nice in the game.

8. Dark Elf

Media:
    A caltrop is made by welding four spikes together in a way so that when standing one spike is always pointing upward. A bag of those nasties might just be what you need when you notice that the guard that's chasing you is closing in. In other words, they hurt your feet like hell.

9. Icairus

Icairus New Member

And having spikes shooting in all directions makes them nice and easy to carry without stabbing yourself.

10. Dark Elf

Media:
    That's why they're always kept in some kind of container. Other than the obvious risk of self-stabbing, only one caltrop won't do, what you really want is dozens of them spread out on a large area.

11. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Caltrops are amazing little devices. Although largely unknown to people today, they were very important from ancient times through the Middle Ages. What better to stop an advancing army than a forest of inch-long iron spikes?
    You can actually buy technologically advanced modern caltrops. They are quite nasty.

12. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Actually, I think there could be a whole new class of items developed from this idea- non-lethals.
    How about nets, that would allow you to drag a person with you against their will as a prisoner? Plenty of opportunities for "bounty hunter" kind of quests. You could capture those orc robbers and drag them to the police station for a reward!

13. Dark Elf

Media:
    Ah, I like that idea. :)

And, there should be handcuffs that you could place on people that are hit unconcious by fatigue loss. And there should be weapons that only dealt fatigue damage until the target is brought to its' knees (just like hand-to-hand damage works in Morrowind).

14. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Mmmm, yes I do believe that this is an excellent idea, however has everyone forgotten that the tranquiliser gun will put someone to sleep.
    I am also an adocate of shackles, after all we wouldn't want those orcs running away now would we?

15. Silvara

Silvara New Member

But it would be nice to have a fatigue damage item for mages - a magical whip, maybe?

16. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Arcanum definitly needs a Fallout 2-style unarmed combat system. How cool were Piercing Strike and Hip Kick? I want my divinely-enhanced monk character (custom background) to do more than just punch people with his right fist.

17. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Name a game that could do without a little bit of fallout 2? Thats right, you cant.

As for caltrops... i'd only think you could carry enough on your body for them to be effective in a very narrow space, on an open battle field you could just go around them... its not like you've got a whole army of people shipping out caltrops to your location like a medieval army would, and those were all deployed in advance of actualy combat. therefore, i believe they only be useful for slowing down people you were running away from in a hallway, or tunnel.

18. Silvara

Silvara New Member

Well, that could be cool... I mean, imagine you are fleeing from some baddies. You get to the other side of a door/gate/hallway/whatever, sprikle it with caltrops, and while your chasers slow down to avoid them you stick 'em full of arrows.

19. Rosselli

Rosselli New Member

Cool, but isn't that what spike traps are for?

20. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

Yes, but as was pointed out about my tranquiliser gun comment they are for tech players, a neutral player couldn't make them and even if a mage got ahold of some, they probably wouldn't work.

Caltrops on the other hand could be neutral and available for a handful of coins at any blacksmith in the game. Also you could pick them up afterwards, like throwing knives.

Our Host!