Best use for first fate point..

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Banjax, Oct 18, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Banjax

Banjax New Member

Hi there,
    I am veerryy sloowwly proceeding through the game.. and I've recently acquired a fate point for defeating the bandits at the bridge in Shrouded Hills. Any ideas as to what I should best put it to? I'm playing a technolgically inclined melee half orc (whos also v.ugly) but am very short of money, armour and weapons (currently using a magic sword, the ignomony...). I'm visiting Black Rock at them moment. So, any ideas?

Many thanks

2. Tidus

Tidus New Member

use it to steal the gold bars from the mayor of blackroot i think and then give them to the king of derhlom and get som exp from it!!

but thats just what i would do ther is hundreds of posibilitys

sorry for my crap spelling

3. Banjax

Banjax New Member

Hmm, ok, but a bit dull...

Anything really worth nicking about, or any really imagnative exploits out there?

4. Eldritch

Eldritch New Member

In Tarant: pickpocket the gun clerk's sharpshooter pistol - high damage and speed.
    Also can lockpick one of the trunks in the two mages shops on Desaille street/terrace in Tarant and sell or keep the scrolls there.
    If your fighting skills are good you can kill the 2 mages in the backroom, along with the hellhound(?) guard and get both trunks. I once got 21000+ gold out of one of them, along with tons of scrolls. If you kill them all, advance time to next morning twice and the Tarant guards won't bother you. They'll just be suspicious.

5. Milo

Milo New Member

In Dernholm, Lianna Del Par has a very good sword on her. The only time I've been able to successfully steal it off her is with a fate point. I think it was worth it. High damage, good speed. Especially at that point in the game.

Another place I always burn a fate point is the Azram's Star quest. I give it to the throwing master to complete the training and then use a fate point to steal it back.

6. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

The character you've described is how I played through the first time...

As to using the fate point, well, you don't have to. I played through the game without using a single fate point. If you hadn't killed Lukan I could tell you a good place to use it, but I don't want to wreck your fun :smile:.

Tech is good. Magick isn't as good - in my opinion anyway.

7. Banjax

Banjax New Member

All good, especially the one about the sword.

But, aren't there any *honest* uses for a fate point...

Still, so far so good. Another question - are scrolls one use only or do they actually teach you the spell?

Many thanks

8. Milo

Milo New Member

Well, it depends on what you mean by *honest*, I guess. Using stored up karmic points to do anything could be seen as dishonest depending on how you look at it.

Regarding scrolls, they are a one time only deal. Once you use it, it's gone for good.

9. dougkaye

dougkaye New Member

An honest use...

The only fate point I have ever used was to lockpick the safe in the Tarant Zoological Society. Just did it for grins as the sign said no one had ever been able to open it. Won't tell you what was in it, besides later in the game you can get a key to open it.

10. Bunny_Ejnar

Bunny_Ejnar New Member

Where?

That key, where would one go about finding it?

Also, I have played through without ever using a fate point. Sure it is fun to do something weird with them, but I find that often things can be done without using them. I put an honor in keeping them for a long time (I know this sounds stupid). If you really want to use them in a good way, I agree with those that suggest that you spend them on things like opening chests, but only places where you cannot destroy them. There is no need to use fate points, if a trusty ol' sword will do the trick!

Just my oppinion anyway!

11. Banjax

Banjax New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll go with either the gold for Dernholm (feel a bit sorry for them) or the zoological safe. Just made a pyrotechnic axe (a truely ridiculous weapon) so I'm feeling confident enough to play about a bit...

12. dougkaye

dougkaye New Member

Mysterious key

The key in question is made from a scematic you can get in the location of the Wheel Clan.

13. Badtz Maru

Badtz Maru New Member

You can do a quest for the leader of Black Root and get the money that way, and you will get access to the safe in the zoological society at the proper point in the main storyline. I'd save them for something else, like forcing a good reaction when one of your valued followers is about to leave you, or stealing something from the inventory of an NPC that you can't or won't kill. Don't use them on chests, as there are other ways of opening a chest.

14. monnie101@yahoo.com

monnie101@yahoo.com New Member

I just started playing & just got into Tyrant so please don't laugh when I ask,
    What is a fate point & what & how can I get or use 1 ?

15. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Fate point can best be described as giving yourself luck in a certain area - open up the fate point menu (hot key of "f") to see what you can do.

In future read the manual - it answers a lot of questions, not that we don't like answering them. It's just easier on you :smile:.

16. monnie101@yahoo.com

monnie101@yahoo.com New Member

Great ThanX I Funny, I never read manuals I always read strategy guides so I didn't even think to look that up in the manual lol

17. friend_al_23

friend_al_23 New Member

I only use I fate point. The one to open the lock at the zoological museum up of Tarant.

18. FenixStrife

FenixStrife New Member

steal azrams star!!!

If youre a throwing character use the fate point to keep azrams star after youve finished the throwing mastery quest. Of course its possible that you'll have lots of fate points by the time you get there if you dont use teleport, I was throwing master before I went to the first mine place.
    --FenixStrife

19. Fenris

Fenris New Member

I use one to steal the Arcane Helm from Stringy Peat. Its the only time I've ever seen it so I just *had* to complete my Arcane set :p

20. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Hey, that's a pretty cool idea actually - an arcane set. Nice one :smile:.

Have to try that myself with the new character I'm making soon - bow using half-elf female with the air and nature spell trees maxed, and up to stun on the tree that has stun. Then I'll see where I go from there - probably master haggle :smile:.

Our Host!