Arcanum 2 Graphics

Discussion in 'Arcanum 2 Suggestion Forum' started by Sketch, Jul 24, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Sketch

Sketch New Member

I recon the best graphis for Arcanum 2 would'nt be 3D, it would be high resolution 2D.

If anyones played Commando's II you'll know what i'm talkin about,and if you have'nt, go online and look at some screenshots.

The graphics in that game are amazing, highly detailed backgrounds with detailed characters. and best of all is the ability to turn the screen four ways so you can see the back of buildings, and would make the game bigger.

Anyway wat do you guy's/gal's think????

2. Ferret

Ferret New Member

I think this topic has already been brought up two or three times and discussed to death. :/

3. Sketch

Sketch New Member

Your point is.....

Also no-one mentioned Commando's II graphics, i would have replied to an older post but that would be "Grave digging" something I have already been warned about.

4. Ferret

Ferret New Member

My point was that it's just unlikely that you're going to get many replies, since most people, other than the really new members, have already had their say and then let the topic drop since it was finished with.

That's probably because it's Commandos II and not Arcanum, or indeed an RPG for that matter.

Besides, there aren't that many different graphics engine types out there that Commandos II doesn't look like something that's already been suggested. There had been a wide variety of graphics engine types proposed already and apart from being 3D or 2D, not many of them have varied so greatly that it makes a difference.

Very sensible. I've got nothing against you making this thread. Like I said, I was just letting you know it's already been done to death.

5. Sketch

Sketch New Member

Thankyou for replying :D

P.s. Just thinking, Fallout 1 & 2 are Rpg's, so what does Fallout Tactics fall under???

6. Ferret

Ferret New Member

It's got a special 'Pile of Shite' genre all of it's own. :lol:

Seriously, it's supposed to be a Tactical Turn-based, Party-based RPG. Many games nowadays blur the boundaries of traditional genres. It's been about the only way to create an, even vaguely new game type, for the last few years. You just don't get original games any more, so they give them complex, long titles comprised of two or three genre types in the hope it sounds interesting. :D

7. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Arcanum 2 (if we ever get to see it, that is...) should definately be in high resolution 2D. Otherwise we'll get a half-baked action game with insignificant story and uninspiring NPC-interaction taking place in a crappy 3D engine (wow, I'm cynical today...)

By the way, how come that the companies have stopped producing 2D games? I mean, there aren't really anything like a good old side-scrolling adventure these days. Throw a glance at Symphony Of The Night, for example. A truly marvellous game.

There are still possibilities with 2D, that's for sure.

8. Peter Quincy

Peter Quincy Member

Quite true. Have you looked at Divine Divinity? It's in 2D but looks really sweet, especially at 1024x768 res. There are plenty of spells and skills and options to explore. My only grip with said game is it crashes to the desktop a little too often to be acceptable.

9. Dark Elf

Media:
    Hey, it looks pretty sweet! :thumbup:

Appears a bit too diabloesque though...

10. Derfud

Derfud New Member

That conversation was just like reading the PC gamer review for Divine Divinity! :p Anyways, I think a good graphics engine for Arcanum 2 would be maybe the engine used for Dungeon Siege (Hue area with no load times, pretty graphics, stable). IMO that would be a great Arcanum 2 engine. Plus it's 3d. I know some people think that 3d is a bad thing because the gameplay degrades in alot of 3d games. But Troika makes quality games, and puts effort into gameplay aswell as visuals, so I dont think a 3d graphics engine would be an issue.

11. Dark Elf

Media:
    Yeah, the DS engine definately looks sweet (haven't played the game, but I've seen the screenshots...). Of course, if Troika could make a game with as good, or even better gameplay/story/interaction than the original Arcanum with such an engine, it would probably turn the gaming world upside down. :thumbup:

It's just that... I don't know what it is, but as soon as I think of Arcanum converted to 3d, I immediately get to think of an action game with practically no story, centered around your main character who's slaying monsters in absurdum... sort of a new Darkstone with firearms... but it could just be me being overly pessimistic - an Arcanum sequel would be made by Troika, after all, and they've never done anything but impress me so far :) .

Our Host!