.Art X and Y offsets

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by team a, Jun 24, 2008.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. team a

team a New Member

Has anyone taken a close look at the .art file headers, which determine the x and y offsets of the wall? Obviously, Blacky figured this out for ArtView, but offers to option to change them. I searched for this at the beginning and end of the file using a hex editor, noting that Blackey includes the beginning of the file in hex in the upper right of ArtView, but couldn't find the values I was looking for. BTW appears to be big-endian.

2. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Arcanum does indeed use big endian and the x and y offsets you're looking for are at 490 and 494.

3. team a

team a New Member

Thanks, rroyo. Those addresses are exactly right. Have you figured out much else in the header, or do you just search for specific values?

EDIT: Now I can't find the offsets for roof .art files. I'm looking for the offsets for piece 2. Any advice?

4. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

It pains me to say it, but what I listed above is the extent of my knowledge on hex-editing. So yeah, I hunt for specific values.

Edit: Just spotted your edit and checked. I found 490 and 494 right off the bat. Line 1E4 - numbers: 39 and 4A respectively.

Is this wrong?
    Since I've never messed with the roof tiles....

5. MackaN

MackaN New Member

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you using bmp2art? Don't use it, it generates wrong .art files.

Use artview. Just take any .art file, then hex edit its Height and Width (0x0484 and 0x0488 for the first frame) according to your needs, open it in artview (an error may pop up, but it will open the file anyway), then import your bmp, if H and W match the ones of your bmp, the art will be replaced and will work perfectly.

7. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

Hey MackaN, check your mailbox. :)

8. MackaN

MackaN New Member

Thanks! And also thanks again for this document about size. I had it, but I lost it and forgot about it :)

@Drog Black Tooth
    Yes, I use this crap bmp2art... I know its crap, but I like comand lines :)
    I use ArtViewer only to check how my pictures look like.

9. team a

team a New Member

if only artview could be updated so the values could just be changed in the application rather than having to find them. It's obvious that blackey knew where all the addresses were, but just didn't add this functionality. Obviously, it isn't that time consuming to hex edit art with a single image, but those with multiple images take a bit longer

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually...

I'm not sure if Blacky would know much about the art format, as he isn't the original author. I found the original version today, it was made by someone named eml78. He supplied the source code with the program, so those guys made a mod, adding conversion to GIF and AVI, BMP8->BMP6 conversion, etc. The original version has all core features, though, and is not so bloated.

Anyway, I made some changes to the original version:
    -Translated hints and renamed some buttons, so they make more sense.
    -Fixed a bug: -X and -Y were mixed up. // This was fixed in Blacky's version as well
    -Cosmetic changes: changed some encodings and added an icon.
    -Translated all comments in the source.

So it should be easy for someone to pick it up and add extra features if they want.

Download (my version + fixed source code (Delphi))

P.S. In case you're wondering, there's no source code available for Blacky's version, it seems.

11. team a

team a New Member

wow.

I have to say, that's pretty fuckin' awesome. Did not expect that at all. I'll take a shot at it soon. I'm sure rroyo will be all over it as well, once there are some hex-editing tools especially.

Does anyone know how to do this? I'm no programmer, as I have probably stated far too many times.

How much is it based on the work of the original author, eml78, and how much on blackey et. al.? Did eml78 call the original program artview?

EDIT: could you also upload the original, since it's Arcanum related? DE, could you upload these to the site and add them to the downloads section or ask The_Bob to do it? It seems like the link to blackey's artview is broken too, here's another copy:

http://rapidshare.com/files/131511661/A ... a.rar.html

Our Host!