Coronavirus and me and you

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smuel, Apr 4, 2020.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Member Supporter

Exactly. I do not demand high-quality optical eyecandy - after all I enjoyed the orignal "Elite" on a C-64 - but nowadays a bit of graphics is expected after games like Elite+, Privateer, X - Beyond the frontier etc.

And I abhor games that feel like spreadsheets. I never got into Imperium? as far as I remember (where you play an emperor of a star empire that can prolong his life with a certain substance). I did not even like Master of Orion 3 either.

2. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

You said you didn't want to play with me though.

3. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
  4. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
  5. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  6. ConjurerDragon

7. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

8. ConjurerDragon

9. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    The plural of House is left as an exercise for the reader.

As is the singular of Nice.

English! It's a fantasy land of magic and fun!

10. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Okay, so I assume the reason that none of you are playing Prosperous Universe is because you are not sure where to start. So here is another post about it, which I'm confident will win over the hearts and minds of our fine readership.

I previously advised against being a carbon farmer, since that market was saturated. It's now actually picked up again, because C is used in a bunch of production chains, so it's a viable option these days. However, the current golden opportunity is to be a hydrogen collector, since there is only one planet currently able to mine it, and there is extremely high demand, since it is also used in lots of production chains. So your plan would be:

Pick a starting package of Manufacturer - this comes with the Collector building that you need to collect gases.
    Pick "Umbra" in the Benten system as your starting planet - it is the only viable H farming planet currently.

Profit!

The Manufacturer package also comes with an Incinerator, so you can make carbon too if you want to diversify, plus a Basic Materials Plant, which is useful for several things. However, H will definitely continue to be more profitable than C or any BMP product for the next few weeks, so if you want to be clever you can head to Benten station as your first stop, sell the building components for your Incinerator and BMP, and buy the ones for an extra Collector or two instead - so you start with 3x COL. Then it's time to rake in the big bucks!

As a bonus, Collectors are particularly efficient when demolishing them to reclaim the materials, so if you decide to change tack in a few weeks, after the H price dips, that would be quite easy.

That link again is Prosperous Universe.

* Smuel is not affiliated with Prosperous Universe. Any resemblance to trolls, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Smuel may happen to need H for his own production in the game, but that's incidental to the above advice, which remains sound. Umbra is actually on the other side of the galaxy from Promitor, where Smuel is based, so he is unlikely to benefit directly from you being an H farmer. See? That proves it. Other games are available.

11. ConjurerDragon

As a german I refuse to mine Hydrogen in memory of the Hindenburg. :cool:

12. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Prosperous Universe is actually a German game! Made in Germany! By Germans!

13. Zanza

Zanza Well-Known Member

I was about to sign up to this game called Prosperous Universe except I realised I had no one to play it with.

14. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    The window is closing on the Umbra H farming opportunity.

Tick tock, motherfuckers.

15. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    Sorry, that was a little rude of me.

The window on H farming is closing though, since the first gas giants are being settled, and they have a higher gas yield, which will drive H prices down, so you don't have long.

Tick tock, bitches.

16. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I now have two bases in Prosperous Universe, because I filled up the first one, and so was able to expand onto another planet. That's right, all you doubters, all you naysayers, I proved you wrong. "Oh, Smuel, we don't think you'll be any good at this game that you seem to have become obsessed with recently." Well I have! Become good, I mean, not become obsessed with it. I'm not obsessed with it! Fuck you!

That link again is Prosperous Universe.

17. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I am faced with an ethical dilemma.

As I may have mentioned, I've been playing Prosperous Universe for the last few months. They recently decided to hold some community awards in various categories, based on nominations by the players. One of them is the "Positive Culture" award, so I nominated someone who I thought was giving good advice to newbies and being funny in the game chat. And then he nominated me for the same award, ostensibly for much the same reasons.

The guy organising the awards just said to me "hey go vote"

Voting is anonymous.

Do I vote for myself? That rather goes against the spirit of "Positive Culture", especially since I actually nominated someone else.

But, you know, I'd like to win the award...

Okay, I guess it's not an ethical dilemma at all. I know what the right thing to do is, I just don't want to do it.

Fine.

18. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

I think you should vote for the guy you nominated. It's the right thing to do.

19. Barabbah

Barabbah Member

20. Smuel

Smuel Well-Known Member

Media:
    I lost by a landslide. Didn't even come second. So I guess my posturing was all for naught.

Though at least I still have my moral integrity, since I did the right thing and voted for my nominated guy, who then won. By a landslide.

Our Host!